coding vs events

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:11 am

@troublesum - other programmers comments make me happy
lol

//BECAUSE PROTOTYPE IS UGLY.

but I like what you have done here.

edit
@troublesum - did you just add that png to the comment? I didn't notice that the first time I read your comment. Ya, ya, that makes it much cleaner, which was part of my beef. Documentation is lacking which makes it hard to get into the sdk (in the time consuming sense of the word), and the adding of aces makes adding simple stuff a bit tedious.
Last edited by ruskul on Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:16 am

@ruskul - haha.. thanks... and prototype is ugly :).. good god if there one thing i hate more its reading and working on object oriented code by developers that use prototype. I know its the standard but the Internet guys need to make method available that's cleaner and more intuitive.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:53 am

ruskul wrote:On a final note, I do remember that ashley told rexrainbow... or someone on the forums that it was a bad idea to call the aces of another behavior from within a behavior.

@ruskul - It is bad :( ... because it creates a dependency on other plugins that the user might not have and if those plugins get updated by Ashley the new changes might break your code or worse yours breaks the functionality of the existing plugin. That's why I wont release this plugin. I don't want to pollute the C2 ecosystem with a plugin that may become defective and not work in the future and some poor dev cant open his project in the future because of it.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:08 am

I have some suggestions I would like to share actually, perhaps to know what people think:

-I stated before that I would like to be able to write behaviors in events, or more logically to add event sheets to objects themselves (I do not have to know how the runtime handle it behind the scenes), that would make manipulating AI and objects easier. Sure coding simple ennemies that go left and right, or even jump above pits are easy, but bosses are not something I want to do in events currently for exemple, and going through the SDK to make a behavior for it kind of break the point.
-commenting in the event system is currently ... pointless sometimes, sure too much comments kills the comments, but one single comment above an event sucks purely and simply, only useful to explain how to call a function in my case, sure, there is a rex plugin for that, but why this basic thing is not already there is beyond me.
-the current behaviors have to be fixed:

the 8 direction behavior respond weirdly to solid objects, "it does not seems like a bug to me", I saw zero complaints about the issues the behavior has, people just stop using it completely it seems when I ask, I will try to report another 8 direction bug later today while I think about it.
viewtopic.php?f=151&t=123984 this bug exists, it may be fixed though, also the jump-thru plus a tilemap is unusable, not a big deal sure.
the physics box2d asm.js is not (yet) a full box 2D behavior, it lacks some basics it seems.

surely no bugs, but still odd ways for them to behave, I hope people get the point.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:49 pm

@Aphrodite - To all points, I agree fully. Especially the first. ..."write behaviors in events, or more logically to add event sheets to objects themselves" Both are desperately needed. This is one of the reasons I find unity so much more useful when making larger games. In unity, you add a script (ie behavior) directly to an object. Everything you want that object to do is contained in the script(s) you put on it. ..

but implementing this might be quite hard. I haven't really thought about how inter object references and dependencies would work. In Unity, you have to have a pointer to another object or script to be able to access it, which doesn't seem easy or uncomplicated for most people not having coded.

As for behaviors... I really don't use any of the canned behaviors straight out of the box. First of all, it's hard to have that unique all your own feel when using another persons implementation. To get the most out of any behavior, you have to understand the behavior in and out. at that point, you don't really need the behavior and can write your own (depending on the time). I much prefer to role my own platformer code every time I make a new platformer prototype... But I am also a perfectionist and knowing specifically what is happening in a behavior is important to me... And ya, that 8 direction code is no good when interacting with solids.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:53 pm

@troublesum - I new it was bad for those reasons, but making an ai in a behavior that uses physics sort of needs that dependency.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General