CoHack - An Open Source Turn-Based Strategy Game

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:04 am

@BluePhase

Right now my goal is to develop a working game prototype. I intend to pre-create levels later on to address that issue :)
Project Lead of Zems Online Card Game

Producer at Impulse Limited
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:53 pm

Well, it's been two weeks of haggling and trying to implement 'pathfound' movement before I've decided to scrap the feature and instead only allow the player to move a program to an adjacent space. This should give the player more control and also avoid the issue of a suboptimal path being taken whenever two or more paths are possible.

The next goal is to implement spawning of program 'body parts'. Basically, programs will occupy multiple spaces on the game board. Each part is part of the program's health - deleting all the parts of a program 'deletes' it. This will allow for some interesting programs to be implemented later on, such as bloatware (a 'wall' program whose main job is to occupy spaces on the game board).Excal2013-08-18 15:01:59

B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:02 am

Still working on body part spawning, but another milestone in the creation of a working prototype has been completed: UI graphics!

B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:33 pm

A devlog that discusses this project: http://www.exeneva.com/2013/08/cohack-a-reimagination-of-spybot-the-nightfall-incident/

A good read for anyone wondering what the inspiration is and whatnot.Excal2013-08-24 20:34:12

B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:43 am

Coming along nicely. I experienced player movement issues myself in my own board game. Question, why not just have token move to position on touch. I tried various options myself (I use dice to determine number of movements) and have for the time being surrendered to token moving straight to destination. The whole token gliding to target is nice, but time consuming, and I couldn't get it just right.
Will see how you handle it and learn by your example. DUTOIT2013-08-25 09:44:01
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:07 am

I believe plugins have compatibility issues with exporters such as CocoonJS and/or node-webkit, so I try to strictly use vanilla C2 as much as possible. I realize the move-to plugin is known to work on a variety of platforms, but I am trying not to use it unless I have to.

B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:22 am

Agreed, what I meant by move to was
set position to x,y
which moves token at speed of light to x,y position.

I tried the "move to" plugin, and like it very much, but didn't use it because of same logic (compatibility) and the pathfinding option complicates things considerably. Overkill for a board game.
I am using mathematics on image points to move token at this stage, not ideal, but working currently.
Won't work for your setup as you want random layout not structured like mine.
But, I will follow your thought process cause it would be nice to have randomized board option down the road. Never play same board twice - lol.
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:48 pm

UPDATE: I've fixed my program parts orientation issues. If anyone has some free time, please download the .capx and move some programs around and take any screenshots of small discrepancies (too many pixels to the left, etc.) and I will take care of them. I intend to stress test everything when I get more time, but any help is appreciated

B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:12 am

When you Select Your pieces there is no "spawn" on button.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpxmy199iqviwc7/boardgame1.png
Don't know if this is what you are after, had to do it a few times to re-create, but you can block your own piece.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4wid6bs1n10y6p/boardgame2.png

I love the trail left behind as piece moves - Wow, love it!DUTOIT2013-08-26 09:27:28
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:11 pm

[QUOTE=DUTOIT] When you Select Your pieces there is no "spawn" on button.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zpxmy199iqviwc7/boardgame1.png[/QUOTE]

Are you running Firefox? If so, then Firefox overrides the text settings with its own and sometimes this means 'Spawn' and other text are just too big for their sprite object sizes to be shown. For example, the screenshot says 'Choose a program to ' instead of 'Choose a program to spawn:' like in my other screenshots in this thread.

@Ashley, is there any way to override default settings in Firefox?

[QUOTE=DUTOIT]
Don't know if this is what you are after, had to do it a few times to re-create, but you can block your own piece.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/q4wid6bs1n10y6p/boardgame2.png
[/QUOTE]

This is intended in my game. The idea is your programs occupy hard disk space, there is no automatic defragmentation (so no pieces will be teleporting around), and therefore it is possible to block your own pieces.

B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Completed Creations