CoHack - An Open Source Turn-Based Strategy Game

Show us your completed creations made in Construct 2

Post » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:36 pm

The AI is semi-working, and I suppose I should clarify a bit for those who haven't been following the project.

Here's what I want the AI to do:

1. Find the closest player object that can be reached. I used pathfinding to determine this because the closest player object is not necessarily the closest one that can be reached due to holes in the grid that prevent movement.
2. Move towards the closest player object that can be reached, and then deal damage.

I've been using the pathfinding object for this. Right now I have a pathfinding object move from the computer object to the closest player object that can be moved to, and each grid tile the pathfinding object moves through gets 'tagged'. After the pathfinding object reaches the closest player object that can be pathed to, I highlight the grid of possible tiles the computer object can move, then create a second pathfinding object that starts from the furthest grid tile that is both tagged by the first pathfinding object and highlighted by the movement grid, and this object moves to the computer program and builds a list of squares for the computer object to move.

Kind of complicated, but it's commented in the .capx. The main issue I'm having is skips in movement along with the pathfinding object moving diagonally even though I have diagonals turned off (not sure why this is happening).
Project Lead of Zems Online Card Game

Producer at Impulse Limited
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:09 am

not to be bothersome... but status?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:31 am

ryackov wrote:not to be bothersome... but status?

Project was shelved. And Author left for awhile
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:38 pm

Very cool Excal!!!! Congratulations! ;)
B
S

Post » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:07 pm

@ryackov, Sorry, I've since moved on to Unity. I'm approaching graduation in about 6 months and want a skillset that can translate into me getting a job in the game development scene.

I haven't given up on Construct 2 altogether. I've been following the multiplayer plugin development and it's looking pretty cool so far :)

B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:18 pm

You are working so hard in this project...... why opensource ? :D
B
S

Post » Sat May 03, 2014 8:56 am

I'm not quite certain why this is in the 'completed' section, as it's really an incomplete project with several completed 'parts' that other C2 users can take features from if they're willing to dive into the events. If someone can move it to the 'WIP' section that would be more appropriate I think.

I'm just going to go ahead and say I'm not going to be picking this project up anytime in the near future - at least not for a year or so. I'm going to be focusing on working on my online CCG for the next few years. I may return to this project sometime in the future, but it most likely won't be a project continued in C2. I'll rebuild it in something else since I'll probably have a lot more experience in gamedev and programming at that point.

I also want to say this project is probably going to be my final (albeit incomplete) contribution to the C2 community. I'll be modifying my original post to say all art assets included in this project are now free for anyone to use, royalty-free. Note that I will still retain the rights to the name CoHack (and I do own cohack.com).

C2 has been my starting point for gamedev, but after diving into programming I think the possibilities and control are just greater with code than C2's event system. Still, this community has been absolutely wonderful and I have learned a lot. I'm part of a lot of indie dev groups and anytime someone asks how to get started, I direct them to C2. Scirra has created an absolutely wonderful product that is evolving at an amazingly fast rate, and I can't wait to see some high quality commercial games created with this software.

B
S
G

Post » Sat May 03, 2014 9:10 am

Excal wrote:I'm not quite certain why this is in the 'completed' section, as it's really an incomplete project with several completed 'parts' that other C2 users can take features from if they're willing to dive into the events. If someone can move it to the 'WIP' section that would be more appropriate I think.

I'm just going to go ahead and say I'm not going to be picking this project up anytime in the near future - at least not for a year or so. I'm going to be focusing on working on my online CCG for the next few years. I may return to this project sometime in the future, but it most likely won't be a project continued in C2. I'll rebuild it in something else since I'll probably have a lot more experience in gamedev and programming at that point.

I also want to say this project is probably going to be my final (albeit incomplete) contribution to the C2 community. I'll be modifying my original post to say all art assets included in this project are now free for anyone to use, royalty-free. Note that I will still retain the rights to the name CoHack (and I do own cohack.com).

C2 has been my starting point for gamedev, but after diving into programming I think the possibilities and control are just greater with code than C2's event system. Still, this community has been absolutely wonderful and I have learned a lot. I'm part of a lot of indie dev groups and anytime someone asks how to get started, I direct them to C2. Scirra has created an absolutely wonderful product that is evolving at an amazingly fast rate, and I can't wait to see some high quality commercial games created with this software.

You will be missed, and best of luck. Any other websites projects you busy with - would like to follow your progress overall.
Last edited by DUTOIT on Sat May 03, 2014 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 03, 2014 9:13 am

Thanks for the kind words, @DUTOIT

I do have a blog, but really the best way to keep up with actual game development would be to follow my online CCG project, as I tend to post random non-gamedev related things on my blog.

B
S
G

Post » Sat May 03, 2014 9:19 am

@Excal,
Cool. Just bookmarked blog and following facebook project.
Just trying out your ludlum dare entry - very cool. Nice base (prototype) looks like a worth while project. Will view from the side line as it looks great.
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Completed Creations