Color Theme Editor for C2 - release 4 [COMPLETE]

Show us your works in progress and request feedback

Post » Sat May 07, 2016 3:37 pm

Nice work on the element picker, works perfectly =)
B
S
G

Post » Mon May 09, 2016 6:49 am

Awesome, good to hear @lemo.
Sorry for taking a while to reply to your last few posts.

I actually did end up implementing the click to select feature using the method I described back in my looooong post.
There is an invisible image (idMap) sitting over the preview with different colors representing different elements. When you click on an element, you're really sampling a color from that idMap, and the color is just a shade of red wherein the value of the red is an ID number. Every element has an associated ID number, and so you just use the ID to look up the corresponding element. This means that I can control exactly which element is selected for any pixel clicked. This is handy because some elements, like boarders, would be really hard to click on, if you had to click exactly on them, as they're 1 pixel wide lines. So I can artificially fatten the clickable ID zones for boarders in the idMap image, to make them easier to click. Likewise for text, I can just use solid bounding boxes for their ID zones, so you don't have to worry about clicking inside an "o" or something.

Going back to your prior post,

I hadn't actually considered making the color picker it's own plugin, but that could definitely be handy.
I did build a color utility plugin though, to simplify a lot of the math and conversions I didn't want to be doing over and over in events. A color utility/math plugin was something that I'd been interested in making for quite a while, and this was as good a time as any to finally start on that. :)

My most recent game-jam game, Down Ward, has a customizable palette system, and I almost started working on a color math plugin for that, but it was probably for the best that I ended up waiting until I was working on a project that revolved entirely around color, before settling on an approach to designing the plugin. (There should probably be another period in there somewhere, but I'm too tired to figure out where to put it, so I'm just going to leave some extras here ...)

An infinite scrolling strip probably is the best way to get it small, while preserving the all-hues-pickable characteristic I was interested in. Another possibility might be to show the entire hue strip square when clicking and dragging, but then only show the current band when un-clicked.

Anyway, thanks as always for the feedback. :)
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 10, 2016 12:52 am

That works wonderfully! Thanks for sticking through with me on this :)

Very much appreciated
I like giving game advice more than I actually like making games ;)

B
S
G

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 4:07 pm

Here's ConstructMonokai v1.0:

First one is non-selected. Second one is selected. Will post an XML file soon. :)

http://imgur.com/a/xpnNN

EDIT: Works/looks best with View Style "Visual Studio 2012 Dark"
I like giving game advice more than I actually like making games ;)

B
S
G

Post » Fri May 13, 2016 2:46 pm

Hey @TabloidA, :D
Happy to hear the scaling system seems to be helping out. :)

Looks like the preview image saving system may need some additional math, to work correctly with a scaled screen, but I think I can figure that out.

Oh, did you get a chance to try out the console command "showDisplayStats"? I'd be curious what the editor thinks the DPR and window dimensions are. If there's a DPR of 1.5, that may be the culprit. Though if it's 1.0, then something else is going on.

Also, very cool looking theme you put together. I look forward to trying it out. :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 13, 2016 2:48 pm

Bundle of 25 themes
I just put together a bundle of all the themes I've created with my theme editor so far.
There are 25 themes, about 20 unique themes, with a few of them accompanied by additional variations.
There are previews of all of them below. For each theme preview, there are two images, showing the base colors and the selection colors.

This bundle includes a few updates and redesigns of some of my previously posted themes.
So, I recommend that if you have any of my previous themes installed, delete them before installing this bundle.
All my themes have filenames beginning with "fi_", which should make them easy to find and remove.

As always, all feedback and suggestions are welcome. :)

Download
(See first post for latest release. Newer bundle now included in download.)

Where to install them
On Win7, xml theme files are placed in this path:
"Program Files\Construct 2\themes"
You don't have to restart C2 to test new themes, but you do have to close event sheets and reopen them to see the theme change take full effect.

Theme previews
Click any image to see a full-sized version.

fi_AmigaWB
ImageImage

fi_Autumn
ImageImage

fi_Clean
ImageImage

fi_CleanGallium
ImageImage

fi_Felt
ImageImage

fi_Flat
ImageImage

fi_Gallium
ImageImage

fi_Hydrogen
ImageImage

fi_Hydrogen_selC2
ImageImage

fi_Marble
ImageImage

fi_NeonPhoenix
ImageImage

fi_NightSky
ImageImage

fi_RedTail
ImageImage

fi_RedTail_selPink
ImageImage

fi_Sandy
ImageImage

fi_ScirraSite
ImageImage

fi_ScirraSite_selOrange
ImageImage

fi_SeaNav
ImageImage

fi_SedonaCandyShop
ImageImage

fi_SlateAzure
ImageImage

fi_SlateIndigo
ImageImage

fi_SlateNixie
ImageImage

fi_SlateNixie_OliveAccent
ImageImage

fi_SlateNixie_VioletAccent
ImageImage

fi_SpruceWoods
ImageImage
Last edited by fisholith on Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:11 pm

NICE!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you
Check out my latest game RAPID-TAPIT. Get your Fingercise on with this one. A steady Tap is all you need to score points. Lift a finger and see what you can do...

ALLMarkMade Designs
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:35 am

Hi ! Thank you for this very nice tool! I think I would never have made a theme without it. :P
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:02 am

Thanks @ALLMarkMade! If you make a theme you'd like to share, feel free to post it here, or in the Share your C2 themes thread.

Hey @Bro7hers, glad to hear it.
I replied to your post in the other thread, and made some preview images of your theme, which looks pretty cool by the way. :)
ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:36 am

@fisholith Yes I saw that quickly the other day, thank you! :)
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Works in Progress/Feedback Requests