Colored Lighting in Top-Down

For questions about using Classic.

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:40 pm

Hi,

currently my lighting looks like this simplified version of my layer structure:
0 A layer with GUI
1 Layer with 75% Black background (to darken everything, I may later change the opacity of the layer to simulate daybreak or something)
2 Layer for sprites
3 Layer for shadow-caster objects beneath the sprites
4 Background Layer for all textures/sprites that go behind all other objects (ground level)

Now my first try was to simply put a light on a layer between 2 and 3. This results in a complete black level except for the part where the light was placed, all shadows act as like 100% opacity.
screenshot:

If I add the effect "additive" it starts to look a little better, still it's dampened by the "darkness"-layer 1. Screenshot:

Then I recreated a tip from somewhere in this forum, to use a sprite on layer 1 and set it to effect "erase", that works - but without the shadows. Coloring of the "light" is also not possible. since it only partial erases layer 1... Screenshot:

How do I add proper colored lights that play nice with my shadow-caster objects?

Thanks would be much appreciated!
Best regards,
Noel
B
G

Post » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:27 pm

I take the liberty to bump this topic, because I think it's unlikely that no one here has a good hint how to get the problem solved... or so I hope :(
B
G

Post » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:33 pm

I think this might be able to help you
http://www.scirra.com/tutorials/lighting.htm
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Well, the only thing I missed, was to put the "Multiply"-effect on the "Lighting" layer ... Fascinating that such a small thing can keep one busy for days.

Thanks a lot for helping me seeing the obvious! :D

Best regards,
Noel
B
G

Return to Help & Support using Construct Classic