Commercial creations in Construct (updated Aug'11)

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:05 am

Updated August 2011

The Construct Classic editor is licensed under the GPL 2.0. This effectively prevents any unscrupulous parties taking advantage of the editor commercially.

However, the runtime is BSD-licensed as of 17th August 2011 (formerly it was also GPL). This means the games you make in Classic are not touched by the GPL license. Scirra have always encouraged commercial creations in Classic without royalties or restrictions, and would never take anyone to court regardless of how successful their game is. However, the GPL was still a worry for some. BSD should keep everyone and their lawyers happy.

In short: you can make commercial games, royalty-free, in Construct Classic.Ashley2011-08-17 12:34:11
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:26 pm

Thanks! If I sell a game, I'll definitely pass some of it on to you guys.
B
G

Post » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:04 am

What is GPL?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:17 am

Click here to find out.

Hehe sorry, wanted to use that site at some point ;)
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:39 pm

Haha! too funny.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:20 pm

It's also important to note that once 3rd party plugins appear more and more, you should check with the plugin authors to ensure there are no license issues.
B
G

Post » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:28 pm

You can right click an application and check 'used plugins', which shows licenses, to ensure you're ok.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:08 pm

I will probably only make free games but if i were to get donations or earn money using Construct i will definately give you guys some of the money :)
You guys deserve it for this magnificent game/application creator.
B
G

Post » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:45 pm

hmmm
I've got an etiquette question for you fine folks.
I was recently asked to post a cap by one of our awesome construct forum friends
and I posted an exe instead
my cap didn't contain anything too important, but I didn't want to set a precedent of cap posting for my current project. I want to eventually post tutorials on some of these techniques when I have time
and I love it when my fellow forum members post useful caps that show how they did awesome things. but, the thing is, I want this project to go commercial eventually when it's finished. I work a crappy job, and I'd prefer to make awesome games and sell them on steam for a living, and I think I might just be able to make something cool enough for people to want to buy it. I may just be building castles in the sky, but hey, personally, I feel I and others here can, and will do it, eventually.
because of this, I don't feel comfortable making the whole thing open-source, but I still want to actively participate in the community and actively give and receive help. and post cool alpha build exe's as they come along.

I felt really pompous and silly saying that I don't want to always share caps as I go through the project. at the same time, it seems only normal not to want to share all your code if you're planning on going commercial. am I just being paranoid? and am I violating some type of developer's forum ethical code of openness?

your thoughts?

ps: I love construct
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:59 pm

You don't have to post your .cap if you don't want. There have been a few times where I didn't want to show my work for whatever reason, and made examples or answered questions instead. Hell, you don't even have to make examples or answer questions if you don't want to :P

The only time it really becomes a problem is if you're asking for help... you can only troubleshoot so far without looking at the source. In that case it's not uncommon for people to send their .cap to someone else privately and have them look at it.
B
S
G

Next

Return to Construct Classic Discussion