Community Collab Game Project

This forum is currently in read-only mode.
0 favourites
From the Asset Store
With this template you can create your own archer game and customize it however you want.
  • If this is the wrong section to put this in, feel free to move it.

Now, I've raised the idea in the chat, and people have agreed it's a pretty cool idea, actually executing it will be a problem, however.

Basically, it's a collaborative project to create a game to show off the capabilities of Construct, hopefully getting some attention and good publicity for it. Deadeye, however, pointed out that team efforts have a tendency to fail spectacularlly, and I'd rather not see that happen.

So, who thinks this is a good idea, and who would like to help out on such a project?

• Try Construct 3

Develop games in your browser. Powerful, performant & highly capable.

Try Now Construct 3 users don't see these ads
  • If this is the wrong section to put this in, feel free to move it.

Now, I've raised the idea in the chat, and people have agreed it's a pretty cool idea, actually executing it will be a problem, however.

Basically, it's a collaborative project to create a game to show off the capabilities of Construct, hopefully getting some attention and good publicity for it. Deadeye, however, pointed out that team efforts have a tendency to fail spectacularlly, and I'd rather not see that happen.

So, who thinks this is a good idea, and who would like to help out on such a project?

That's the n time i would witness the massive fail. It will not work. Sorry

• Ok I guess Smeggy's out. lol

Any way, what kind of game, how big, etc?

• I'd go for it only if we manage to define clear roles and responsabilities, a short and clear design doc and a timeline with milestones.

• It should defiantly be something that shows all of Constructs abilities.

• Just don't show all of Construct's abilities all at once

• I was thinking a Star Control 2-ish melee like game would be a good community project where everyone makes a ship and it's dynamic (not fixed, pickable from a predefined fleet), support 2-4 simultaneous players.

• tar Control 2-ish melee[/quote > > Bumper space ships?

• Well, I DO have a game concept that was originally supposed to be for a 3D game, but I suppose could work just as well as a 2D game...

Edit: And, after what Deadeye said, I feel like a twit. I suppose it wasn't quite suitable after all, nevermind.

• I'm sorry, Candescence, I mean you no disrespect but this is exactly the sort of thing I was afraid of. It's the Zybourne Clock all over again. The proposed story and plot is much too convoluted, there is nothing concrete... just vague summaries that are weakly connected at best. The themes as well are rather cliched and the treatment has a decidely fanfiction feel to it.

The idea of a "Brawling RPG Platformer that has aspects of every genre ever" is quite frankly much too ambitious, bordering on ludicrous. It's just not a realistic goal.

The level of detail you're looking for would push this into a couple years of development time. Construct 2 will be out by then, so the idea that this would be a project to show off Construct is pretty much out the window.

Furthermore, this seems less a vehicle to showcase Construct's capabilities and more to show your ideas for stories and characters.

If a realistic group project is going to happen, the themes and stories are going to have to be simple and straightforward. Think more arcade action than RPG action. Sure, it can look good and showcase Construct's features, but it doesn't have to be the Godfather of RPG games. You can show bone animation, shaders, texture distortion, physics, etc. without time-bendingly convoluted plots about teenagers who have dreams of mystical artifacts and whatever else.

Just my two cents, I'm trying to be as real as possible here and again I mean no disrespect. It's going to be a lot easier just making an action game with a simple story (that is, if you even need any story at all).

• Candescence

Dont feel bad, we all have our dream games, and no ones saying you cant do that.... eventually.

Its just that at this point a collab should focus on something every one can work on.

Besides this is a great way to get experience for when you are ready to make that dream game.

• Yeah, yeah, I see your point. I went and deleted it. Perhaps some different ideas are in order. After all, that one was for a completely different sort of game. XD

Alright, here's a different idea. A platformer-style fighter, with a metroidvania-style single-player mode (just one map, though). Each member of the team can design their own character for playable use, and perhaps more from the community. Sound fair?

And the plot? "LOL LET'S BEAT THE SNOT OUT OF EACH OTHER AND EVERYTHING ELSE, K?"

• Well thats a little better, but the ai would be kinda hard..... if only we had the net plugin

• Maybe so, but... Okay, here's an idea. We compile a list of ideas, and then make a poll for the community to decide. Sound good?

• Talking about a showcase of Construct's abilities... have you lot played Plants Vs Zombies by PopCap?

It is genius. It takes a very simple tower defense game, its brilliance lies in the polish and minigames. There are many different variations of gameplay within the game itself. Hell, there is even a zen garden mode, where you just water plants and stuff!

Perhaps if the community project would have something like that; take basic gameplay, polish it and introduce different gameplay variations. Since it is a community project, each of us could work on our own variations, which, once polished, would then be integrated.

It just needs a solid base engine and gameplay elements. Not necessarily tower defense - the genre is a bit thick at the moment.

Jump to:
Active Users
There are 1 visitors browsing this topic (0 users and 1 guests)