Concepts and Mock-ups

Post your Construct-made creations!

Post » Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:27 am

I also love threads like this, and it really helps to get feedback during development. Not to mention seeing other people show interest in something you've created is an amazing motivational boost. =)

Thank you for the compliment. = )

The taller design? I've been working with that one now. It's easier to animate, offers more detail and I can show emotion with it. Also the chibi is a little creepy now that I look at it more closely.

Tests are important, I'm just learning that now. Going from such a limited program to one with virtually none was a bit more overwhelming than I expected. I need to learn more about Construct before I can make this game, so little games will have to come first.

I look forward to being more involved in these forums. Everyone seems so helpful, and honest, it's refreshing.
B

Post » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:45 am

I'm still around, working on enemy AI and trying to figure some things out.

Have a mock-up, it's not perfect but it's something(there are more but they are unfinished or I've deemed them hideous). I still need to figure out how to actually get the enemies to do that(crawl along the wall, or same enemies but different gravity for each).

The plan for visuals will likely be a painted style like the mock-up, using solid masks to make it work in-engine. Because I have yet to figure out how to make properly sized tiles. I end up making them too big or too small and resizing mucks with the collision. So, solid masks it is.

The tutorial I have been following uses masks as well, so I'm going to assume this is how it is generally done. I do not know.

I'm currently stuck on figuring out the art style, it's apparently something I have to do or my brain wont let me do anything else. So I'm drawing things, trying to get the levels figured out and how enemies will move along (of course how the player will as well). Fun stuff, but not much to really show. =/

Will post when there's more to show. The month is almost over and I don't know if I'll make my self-imposed deadline, but I will keep trying. I might have a level done by then at least. Whatever helps me learn and get closer to the bigger project is all that matters to me.
B

Post » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:56 am

i like this one :D
you have any playable stuf yet?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:33 am

Man, I just sort of forgot about this thread and now I feel awful.

I do not have anything playable yet. =/

I keep hitting walls and having to switch to a simpler starter project. Currently I am halfway through the first level of a candy-themed Mario clone. It seems to be going a bit quicker than other attempts, so I think it will be the first thing I actually finish.

Oh, Brother will have to wait until I know what I'm doing. ><

---
For the Mario clone, I do have assets to show. Sprites, mainly (working with placeholder backgrounds/tiles until I get the level finished).

An in-game shot. Current title is Sugar and Spice.
Story is; Little bubblegum girl, Princess Sugar, battles her gingerbread sister, Princess Spice for control of Gumdrop Castle and all of Candy Kingdom.

Spice has stolen the crown, banished her sister to the Taffy Pits and now fancies herself ruler of Candy Kingdom.
Sugar must escape her prison, battle through her sisters cookie creeps and take back her throne.

When she banished her, Spice tore much of Sugar apart.
Because of this, Sugar is very small and lacks power. She will need to acquire new gum pieces to grow and regain her strength.

Sugar

Spice

More here; http://coffeedaydreams.tumblr.com/tagged/sugar

-----

I promise to update when I have something playable. ^.-

Edit; Okay, that is the third time my post was eaten - if you want to see more Oh, Brother stuff (I do have the style figure out now) you can find it here; http://coffeedaydreams.tumblr.com/tagged/oh+brother/page/2Dyre2013-04-07 01:44:29
B

Post » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:26 pm

i kno this, but i think this back and foward is normal, i'v redone my project like 6 times(now i have like 7~8 different game ideas)

start as a handdraw with CC, then i give C2 a try, stuck at the animation process and learning curve figuring out how i make my ideas; and so i'v started making pixelart and now i'm remaking the design stuff again
B
S
G

Post » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:21 pm

I have done the same thing. >< The ones mentioned here are not even half the ideas I've gone through, just the ones I've made progress on.

I get stuck on feature creep and end up making my game ideas too complicated for my current skills. Which is why I keep trying for simpler ideas, based more around gameplay to teach myself how to get to the more complicated ones.

If this is your issue as well, might I suggest trying to clone a classic game first? To learn the engine you want to work in before trying one of your other ideas (going through your list from simple to complicated). It's working for me, so far. I keep thinking of ways to change it but by having that classic game as a base I know I wont get too far off track.

If you're stuck with the art, I suggest working out the game first. You may not need as much as you think, and getting the gameplay figured out will tell you what exactly you need.

I had no idea what style I'd be using until I actually started playing in the engine. You can see how the art style changed with each engine switch. Now I'm focusing on simple, easy to animate, because I can't avoid the art (I can't seem to use placeholder boxes ><) but I want to make a very simple game.

If you need help learning how to draw what you need, I know of some great tutorials, just ask. =)
B

Post » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:29 am

ah thnx :], make the art and assets is easy for me
the bomb right now is sound/music :/

i'v decide what i want make from the game mechanic side of things
and i made the inverse with mine: aesthetic > simple plot > gameplay

because i can see that i will put some aspects that is not the "core mechanic" sorta thing

reading your post i can see that maybe this is a "issue" side with artistic driven devs, like, programmers avoid start their games with the art; of course, starting with the art bring this loop of things being redone over and over again but, i feel more comfortable designing the "look" of things and then making the interactions; i feel like, strange to think "gameplay-wise" yet. if this make any sense.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 18, 2013 7:00 pm

I apologize for being so slow to respond here.

I agree it is an issue for the art-driven devs. I too feel more comfortable getting the look down first, but I also get lost in gameplay ideas. I'm learning that working on the art first is a way to focus myself, so I'm not getting too deep into "feature creep" and going beyond my actual skill level.

This time I did make some placeholders for the tiles and backgrounds, which has made things go a little quicker.

Now, however, I'm working on the backgrounds/tiles as I'm not sure what I want for level design yet. Figured getting the pieces in would help.

I haven't been able to do too much lately, been kind of busy.

But I have a mock-up of the tiles/bg now.

Could be too bright...not sure.

B

Post » Sun May 19, 2013 6:58 am

@Dyre

very nice, really like this vibe
it will be a exploration game?
B
S
G

Post » Tue May 21, 2013 2:02 am

More Mario clone with a little extra. Enemies are defeated by hopping on them or shooting them with a gumball (when available).

Instead of breaking blocks for coins (gum bits), enemies drop them when defeated.

Chests will contain power-ups, but they're still temporary (in that damage removes them).

The sprite in the mock-up is the tiny, default version. She has a bigger version and a "Magic Gumball" version (like Mario's fireball). I also need to work out what to use as the Invincibility Star.

The plan is to just have four levels, fairly short, mini-boss in one and a big boss at the end of the last.
B

PreviousNext

Return to Your Creations