Concerns from a "Serious" developer

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:46 pm

FraktalZero wrote:@digitalsoapbox
12 years of experience as Dev working in companies in Montreal is not experience enough? I'll be damn then.

I went through a long process of the whys I would need to change and even if it cost time = money still my best solution in the long run is to switch to another engine. Its simply a matter of risk and reward. Business are also made of that, it seems.

Then you understand that working as a developer isn't the same as being the person selling games commercially, correct? Or that when a company such as Scirra says their tool can do something, it should be able to do them, and not do them in the most half-assed way possible, if they actually do them in any way that is commercially viable at all?
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:51 pm

I can't believe people are still here having this convo after all this time. You can argue and point things out all you want, but it's not going to change anything. JayJay and I have learned from our mistakes and we've moved on. This is not and can not be a serious development tool (C2), and yes it was advertized as such and those of us who are serious devs have paid for the software and may not have gotten what we wanted out of it. That's life.

But you've blindly put your faith in something that isn't going to change, even after being told time and again that it won't. After being shown that your problems have fallen onto deaf ears. There have been enough signs to show people that if they really want to make a game and port it for that matter, this is not the tool to do it.

I love the editor to death, but the engine can't be taken seriously. And the bottom line is, it's not your engine to change and they don't have to do it.

If you don't like what it is, it's time to move along.
Last edited by damainman on Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:52 pm

I'm with you on what you are saying here.

However they clearly say it's an HTML5 Gameengine for 2D games so I can't understand the discussion about 3D and Native Export. Since that was known before buying the product.

I do not like C3 as it is right now but I wouldn't say that their marketing was misleading. You get what you saw, it's just not THAT easy to achieve and does not work for all and every case. But I get the anger and frustration that's in the air and that's totally understandable.

Anyhow, we should be happy to habe the freedom to take such things out in the official forums. Other communities are way more restrictive in that case.

@Tom and @Ashley should consider working on a second / complimentary product which brings in native exports by taking the JSON structures that contain the project logics and having it run by a native implementation of the c2/3 runtime. At least they would not need to remake the editor :S but I believe that might be really more complicated to keep features even across all export options. I'm sure people would throw their money (additional to the subscription) at them.

@NotionGames off topic: so happy to see you around. I've been stalking you every now and then, eagerly waiting for your next game.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:57 pm

@digitalsoapbox just trying to understand your point here?. To me its simple: Scirra did not deliver so I move on. personally I got tired of waiting for features.
1 years current project work will take me around 4 weeks in Unity, so not that bad after all.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:00 pm

damainman wrote:I can't believe people are still here having this convo after all this time. You can argue and point things out all you want, but it's not going to change anything. JayJay and I have learned from our mistakes and we've moved on. This is not and can not be a serious development tool (C2), and yes it was advertized as such and those of us who are serious devs have paid for the software and may not have gotten what we wanted out of it. That's life.

But you've blindly put your faith in something that isn't going to change, even after being told time and again that it won't. After being shown that your problems have fallen onto deaf ears. There have been enough signs to show people that if they really want to make a game and port it for that matter, this is not the tool to do it.

I love the editor to death, but the engine can't be taken seriously. And the bottom line is, it's not your engine to change and they don't have to do it.

If you don't like what it is, it's time to move along.

I think many of us have already moved on to using other tools, though we still hold out hope that Scirra will start listening to what's being said to them at some point because we like the idea of how Construct works, and we understand what's possible with that way of working. I know my favorite part is getting to skip a lot of the setting up of functionality, and other than that it just feels like any old game development tool, with (most of) the kind of features I'd expect.

People are stubborn, and the kind of people who gravitate towards both game development and tools for game development are, I think it's safe to say, never short in the stubbornness department. If Scirra were more straightforward and a bit more honest with both their marketing and themselves in relation to what their tools can actually do, this discussion would never have happened in the first place. But here we are, and even though some of us feel we've been sold a bill of goods that's yet to be delivered, we're still holding out hope. Which I would think is exactly the kind of passionate community any of us posting on the topic would kill to get for our games...if more people could play them.
Last edited by digitalsoapbox on Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:02 pm

I understand there's this thing that is 1. time. 2. interest/motivation.
Time, there's not enough time, and interest/motivation, if you do not feel interested/motivated in on taking a work I understand it is not ideal then.

So maybe a solution is to license the event system to other company so they can use it to make.. hmm.. what we want. ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:05 pm

5Type wrote:@NotionGames off topic: so happy to see you around. I've been stalking you every now and then, eagerly waiting for your next game.

Thanks a ton. I really appreciate you taking the time to write this.

@damainman The more I talk to you and see your progress, the more I see that you're right.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:09 pm

I'd very happily pay a $100-200 subscription no issue if they made a plugin for unity/unreal that allowed us to "program" using the event editor. Maybe even allow the plugin to do an animation editor (unity/unreal lack simplicity in this regard for frame by frame animation.) and other notable C2/C3 features.

Benefits are that it makes a great stepping stone to Unity/Unreal which personally is like out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Giant audience.
Easy enough to rake in a percentage of game profits as income on top.
Less problems/issues with runtime performance, driver incompatibilities etc because most of that will be Unity/Unreal's issue to rectify. The plugin will essentially be converting your event instructions into C# or whatever.

We'd also get access to 3d and native exporters in the process. Great!

Pipe dream.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:24 pm

Well, I have said all that I have to say.
I really enjoyed learning about game development with Construct 2 but as a developer wanting to make commercial games, I guess it's time to move on.
I had a good time being apart of the community and made good friends with various devs. I wish the best for Scirra and hopefully there's something that makes me come back to subscribe to Construct 3.

Only time will tell.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:30 pm

Engines come and go and never a good idea to put all your eggs or games in one basket.

To put this in perspective, I am old and started writing commercial games in BASIC for the Commodore 64.

So watching Scirra go through growing pains is nothing new and if they want to survive they will listen to their base or we will move on.
Banned User
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion