Concerns from a "Serious" developer

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:40 pm

Even if you do a research about x game engine, there's always bumps in the road. 2 years ago for a release in the previous studio I was working for, when Unity switched version to 5, a lot of plugins specially for rendering were broken in the process. There's always issues that you can expect and there's always a way or workarounds. In the case of engines like Unity and Unreal there's a reason why you can obtain source code now.

But to be honest, personally I don't see the issue, I mean, if Scirra can't offer export to consoles, then you change projects. In the world of indie dev you can't just stay with one product just because you are an artist and can't code. I'm an artist and yet I learned to code. Necessity pushes you to it, that's all. is not the first time a dev quits Scirra to change engine.

Slain which saw a major release was a C2 project and yet was forced to change to Unity. Engine was simply too limiting.
B
43
S
12
G
14
Posts: 488
Reputation: 10,570

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:47 pm

FraktalZero wrote:But to be honest, personally I don't see the issue, I mean, if Scirra can't offer export to consoles, then you change projects. In the world of indie dev you can't just stay with one product just because you are an artist and can't code. I'm an artist and yet I learned to code. Necessity pushes you to it, that's all. is not the first time a dev quits Scirra to change engine.


You're missing my point entirely
And have you really moved on? Because you're in the forums more than the average user.
Image
B
75
S
22
G
9
Posts: 572
Reputation: 14,171

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:50 pm

As a game developer I can agree 100% with the Wii being a bad choice for putting on the first page.
As a businessman I can agree with what they did a 110%.
Image ImageImage
B
172
S
50
G
182
Posts: 8,439
Reputation: 115,097

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:06 pm

Yes, some of the wording on their site maybe over selling some of the features and functionality, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out. I've figured that out even before I decided to buy the product. Technically their wording is a bit deceptive, but I take it you've published enough games by now to have figured it out as well. But yes, you can pretty much output a html5 export that you can use for multiple platforms. It doesn't mention it can be pretty hard to get it working though.

I didn't call anyone names personally, it's just as statement that applies almost anything in life. Anyone ranting and blaming someone else for not not providing a few features THEY need in your development is in fact a bit childish. They can't cater for everyone's wishes. They also have their own idea of what construct is and what it's not, and where thier priorities are.

I want 3D viewport support, but I know that's not the direction they are going, so I'm doing what I can with Q3D trying to learning that instead of Unity. I can try to build a case on why the should focus on it, but I'm not posting rants badmouthing the devs because they don't provide what I need, saying it's backwards to focus on 2D games..... that's so 80's, 3D and especially VR is the new big thing... if scirra don't provide that they are not listening to customers..... see how you sound now?
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
41
S
18
G
19
Posts: 1,055
Reputation: 14,019

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:08 pm

@NotionGames your response baffles me. Because I give my opinion doesn't mean I continue with the engine.
Last edited by FraktalZero on Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
43
S
12
G
14
Posts: 488
Reputation: 10,570

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:11 pm

newt wrote:As a game developer I can agree 100% with the Wii being a bad choice for putting on the first page.
As a businessman I can agree with what they did a 110%.



Only if as a businessman you think false advertising is good business practice.

People that bought a C2 license have been willing to overlook it because Scirra keeps promising to fix it and instead they create a new subscription engine with the features and exporters we asked for and were promised in C2 and expects we will just go along.

Reading the many comments- I think many C2 users have had enough.
Banned User
B
28
S
7
G
58
Posts: 1,229
Reputation: 34,830

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:17 pm

tunepunk wrote:I want 3D viewport support, but I know that's not the direction they are going, so I'm doing what I can with Q3D trying to learning that instead of Unity. I can try to build a case on why the should focus on it, but I'm not posting rants badmouthing the devs because they don't provide what I need, saying it's backwards to focus on 2D games..... that's so 80's, 3D and especially VR is the new big thing... if scirra don't provide that they are not listening to customers..... see how you sound now?


If Construct advertised that 3d is an option, then you'd have every right to be upset when you find out that it doesn't. No where does it say that 3d is a thing, it's promoted as a 2d engine. And you said it yourself, the wording is deceptive. So why can't I voice my concerns on that? How is my bringing up what's been promised a childish thing? I promised to pay for the engine, which I did. So why can't I get what has been advertised to me? I don't understand how you can't see that as an issue.

And no where did I bad mouth the devs.

FraktalZero wrote:@NotionGames your response baffles me. Because I give my opinion doesn't mean I continue with the engine.


I apologize for that response
Last edited by NotionGames on Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
B
75
S
22
G
9
Posts: 572
Reputation: 14,171

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:24 pm

No Problem at @NotionGames I can understand your frustration. I started moving my projects just last week and I wish I didn't have to. So I can totally relate at your situation.
B
43
S
12
G
14
Posts: 488
Reputation: 10,570

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:34 pm

NotionGames wrote:
And no where did I bad mouth the devs.


I never said you did....., I said ....I wouldn't do that.

No where on their selling points does it say, "monetize with every major ad network, for every platform".
I understand you concerns, but I think you're going about it the wrong way. Build a case.. Present numbers to the devs..... we are X amount of mobile devs requesting this feature.

It's good because.....

We are willing to pay extra for this feature because....

If Scirra still doesn't wanna invest their time in this, take your request to the ad network provider. You got build service for mobile coming soon, that's a huge plus if it works well.
Follow my progress on Twitter
or in this thread Archer Devlog
B
41
S
18
G
19
Posts: 1,055
Reputation: 14,019

Post » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:41 pm

Assuming you can doing anything you want on Wii is like expecting to export to Tizen and make a fortune.
They made no false claims, but claiming false advertising is a "serious" allegation, falling under the category of slander.
You might want to check out what the actual laws are about such things.
Image ImageImage
B
172
S
50
G
182
Posts: 8,439
Reputation: 115,097

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests