Consider Cocoon if XDK is not working (updated)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:42 pm

Yay. Another eBook writer. :) Glad I'm not the only one trying to keep the eBook scene alive. I will buy that eBook later this week, because I've always wanted to go back to Cocoon, but only when the time was right. CocoonJS at the time was great with performance, but the plugin support and tech support was horrible. Ludei at the time was horrible with replying back to user issues. I hope they improved on that.

I've read about CocoonIO and it has interest me greatly, but just never found the time to work with it.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:58 pm

yea seriously take some time.. if you do a simple no-frills "hello world" test with no plugins following that tutorial i linked it will go quick.

then you install the cocoon.io plugins and you'll see what is possible without even touching cordova plugins.. once you get some of that working.. you can then try cordova.. its a nice simple ladder.

I got through most of it in a week or so of part time / casual testing..
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:53 pm

I dunno, I have used both XDK and Cocoon (recently too). For some reason I am more drawn to XDK.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:56 pm

it's mostly about plugins. I have never had too much trouble with XDK working without plugins, but plugins really create a lot of problems.. Sang Ki's decreasing level of support / updates for plugins also makes things problematic with XDK's constant updates, often breaking plugins.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:08 pm

also troubleshooting with XDK is a hassle.. often having to remove projects and re-importing them each time plugin changes are made.. hoping they all get grabbed..

Cocoon IO has a really nice / clean way to see what plugins are ACTUALLY installed. Removing them is a breeze as well. I always felt unsure if I did all the steps right with xdk.. not really knowing if everything is setup right..
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:30 am

Cocoon.IO is pretty damn awesome.

Build your game, get the new Cocoon Plugins, do a few tweaks with your game by following the resources on this website: https://shatter-box.com/ , and upload to the cloud. When you've got a Key, Cocoon automatically Signs and Aligns the APK. Then all that's left to do is to Build the APK and upload it to Google Play.

A lot of people get frustrated with it, but it's just a matter of learning how to use it. I did find it difficult on finding out what the hell I was suppose to do to get a working APK but once I figured it out, it was smooth sailing from there.

Lastly, I cannot believe that people are actually pissed about Splash Screen. Is the $500 price to remove a image that shows up for about 3 seconds too much? Yes, yes it is. Oh most definitely. But it's only about 3 seconds. Come on guys.
Risk Rocket now available on Google Play
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:20 am

Usman Haq wrote:Cocoon.IO is pretty damn awesome.

Build your game, get the new Cocoon Plugins, do a few tweaks with your game by following the resources on this website: https://shatter-box.com/ , and upload to the cloud. When you've got a Key, Cocoon automatically Signs and Aligns the APK. Then all that's left to do is to Build the APK and upload it to Google Play.

A lot of people get frustrated with it, but it's just a matter of learning how to use it. I did find it difficult on finding out what the hell I was suppose to do to get a working APK but once I figured it out, it was smooth sailing from there.

Lastly, I cannot believe that people are actually pissed about Splash Screen. Is the $500 price to remove a image that shows up for about 3 seconds too much? Yes, yes it is. Oh most definitely. But it's only about 3 seconds. Come on guys.

I think the people that were pissed off are the same old heads that used CocoonJS, because that splashscreen was hell with CocoonJS. It would bug and stay on the screen for like 1-2 minutes before going to the actual game or crashing depending on your game.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:16 am

i publish three game now and all of them i spend over 22 hrs to 3 days trying to build it on cocoon.io it compile the game yes BUT IT PUT TOO MUCH BUG the compile .apk file. I am only use 3 plugin Appodeal, Cranberry Game and Cranbery pow mang. It only take me 5 to 10 minute to build it on Intel Xdk with the same 3 plugin with NO BUG in the compile .apk
i only waste all those time just becasue i want my file size to be smaller i personally think Intel is stress free to use over cocoon.io

for example
in my game i have button press wait 0.10 second goto layout
when build on cocoon.io the wait time is not 0.10 sec but 0.40 up to 2.0 second

when build on intel no bug, it wait 0.10 second an goto layout
i yet to get appodeal to work on cocoon and it work on intel
i can go on and on

I JUST WISH I CAN GET MY .apk file small down from 20+ mb :cry: :cry:
hope construct 3 can do that :cry:
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:41 am

I tested the Cocoon.IO app with both of my games, one is ultrasmall the other is massive. The small one didn't work at all in Webview+ and Canvas+ worked but it isn't giving me a boost in performance at all.

Same RAM usage same everything. I'm not sure if there is any extra benefit for me to not use the old CocoonJS for the smaller game.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:05 am

I really like CocoonIO but I've yet to finish a project using it. I got great performance on a couple tests and one of them was a bit physics heavy. In the end it all comes down to optimization in your own projects, I think.. As long as you avoid using a lot of layers and "every tick" blocks, you should be fine.

Anyway, CocoonIO is limited to only 2 free apps so you'd have to pay $14.90/month to get at least 10 projects on it, but I'm not sure if you can just erase old projects after you've exported them to .apk then upload new ones.

edit- btw I heard that Android 6.0 would make it a lot easier to get games onto it, but I have no idea how or what changed to make it so. I think I've read that a couple times in the forums but I never looked too much into it.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General