Consider Cocoon if XDK is not working (updated)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:02 am

@BackendFreak what kind of permissions are you talking about? what doesn't work?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:32 am

CocoonIO adds permission requests to the app like Calls (phone status etc.), Location, Vibrations... can't remember them all from the top of my head. My app actually does not need any permissions except the IAP ones. After Compiling with CocoonIO I have a bunch of Permission requests which looks scarry (expecially the combination of Location and Calls).

On CooconIO forum they say that for instance Location is required by adMob plugin (!?).... etc.

I want to release the game... and if I want to do it now I have to choose between "clear permissions" but minSdk API not set using IntelXDK or minSdk API set but messed permissions with CocoonIO... Life is hard! :D... I think I'll wait for Intel to fix the API issue.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:40 am

you must be talking about android. iOS is transparent.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:42 am

Yes I'm talking about Android.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:51 am

once again all the more reason why Scirra needs to make iOS/Android wrapping part of the C2/C3 environment.. something like how they integrated node webkit.. waiting for Intel to fix something is no way to make a business.. i'm not saying cocoon io is perfect but it's proving to be the more reliable option.. i've been f'd over by broken plugins / xdk for months.. it's fine for hobbyists but not for professionals.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:15 am

part12studios wrote:once again all the more reason why Scirra needs to make iOS/Android wrapping part of the C2/C3 environment.. something like how they integrated node webkit.. waiting for Intel to fix something is no way to make a business.. i'm not saying cocoon io is perfect but it's proving to be the more reliable option.. i've been f'd over by broken plugins / xdk for months.. it's fine for hobbyists but not for professionals.

But damit, we know we're not getting it!

@ashley said so....
Risk Rocket now available on Google Play
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:07 pm

@Usman Haq I didn't hear that from him but maybe if we bring it up enough he'll understand why an internally maintained solution will help keep Construct users making games and not getting bogged down in "publishing hell"
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:40 pm

This is a really hard topic regarding the native export. A lot of mixed feelings about that. I've been programming apps for over 10 years now with Java, PHP, JS, C# and other languages... so I am aware how much time consuming the "real" development is. I even made some games in pure JS and believe me what can be done with C2 in a day, takes weeks if you use pure programming. So from that point of view I REALLY admire @Ashley job. Making a project like a C2 is a huge challange, and the fact that he is coding alone is just insane!

From the other point of view it is true that for a professionals it's really a big issue to work with C2 in a manner to rely your business on it. But it's not purely C2 fault. It's the HTML5 wrapping technology problem mostly. C2 doesn't have so many issues/bugs. If you focus on the bug reports and follow them you notice that big majority of them are external problems. iOS sound issue was external problem, API android issue is external problem etc...

And no matter if it's IntelXDK or CocoonIO... there are always some issues with them and if there aren't any at the moment... be sure they will appear cause this technology grows faster then they manage to test it (for some weird reason).

So C2 apps (except the HTML5 apps - I mean pure export for browsers) rely basically on third party solutions. Maybe it will get steady in several years (same chaotic situation we had years ago with various browsers parsing JS/CSS).

Is @Ashley able to build his own wrapper fully focused on C2 compatibility? I think in theory he is, but that is enormous amount of work. And as a one man army it's just pointless. I have no idea what is Scirra's budget... but Ideal situation would be if @Ashley hire some dev team dedicated to do this. That would give the feeling that C2 development is kinda "stable". At the moment making an app in C2 is fun and pleasent, but when it comes to wrapping there is always like "please work! please work!". Cause you never know...
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:02 pm

@BackendFreak I haven't worked with AdMob yet, but I have my share with AdSense. So, IMO, AdMob use Location the determine what ad it will show to your user. Like, I'm from Sao Paulo, so if I'm playing a game with AdMob and some company bought some ads from it specifically to show on Sao Paulo users then I will see that particular ad.
B
S

Post » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:37 pm

Hi guys!
Just came over this post.
Thank you Caleb for opening that up. I'm glad to help you guys with all C2 relevant issues in the cocoon forum. I also give my very best to keep the wiki on shatter-box.com up to date.

It would be awesome if scirra would consider to support cocoon.io offically in Construct 2, but that's not a decision of me or us. This must ludei discuss with scirra, or scirra with ludei ;) I already wrote @ashley about a bug that only appears for cocoon.io built games, but sadly it's still not fixed. (It's about the scalling issue).

Feel free to let me know if you miss any tutorial or if any step is unclear for you. I also provide free code sampels for all CocoonPlugins. Just check out the following links.

Usefull Links:

How to build with CocoonIO & Construct 2 (Covers following tutorials)
    - Get Started
    - Configure your CocoonIO Project
    - Cocoon Ads
    - Cocoon InApp
    - Cocoon Leaderboard
    - Cocoon Canvas+
    - Cocoon Facebook (currently under work)
Free code examples
Support (Just mention @andy.reitberger in the cocoon forum and I'll have a look at it ASAP)
Troubleshooting
E-Book - Build your first platformer with CocoonIO (with Ads)!
Android Developer Template - Demo

Wish you great success with your games (hopefully made with cocoon.io) :)
Keep it up!

Regards
Andy
Image Image iTunes: Match3 | Google Play: Match3
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General