Consider Cocoon if XDK is not working (updated)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:06 pm

@STARTECHSTUDIOS what plugins are you using? XDK for me has been fine until I was needing to count on plugins.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:31 pm

@Zebbi Yes, the most recent update...

@part12studios I'm using the Ads Plugin from this page, working nicely :)
https://www.scirra.com/tutorials/4896/s ... arning-ads
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:40 pm

cool the less plugins the better. :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:33 am

@part12studios Have not been on the forums much and just reading this. I am using XDK and I have not had any build issues in awhile. I'm using cranberry's Admob, Unity, Facebook, and Vibration plugins. Would you recommend I switch over before publishing to stores?

@Silverforce What problem are you having with LocalStorage? I use it with XDK and it works fine. 40+ values.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:56 am

@CDogs1964 sounds like you've found a unicorn combination. If it's working for you just go with it till it doesn't. However I will say it's still worth looking into at some point.. not just strictly from a plugin perspective but nice things like MUCH easier management of plugins, though with your luck the difference may not be appreciated.. a single graphic you provide gets turned into all the required icon sizes needed. if you've ever had to go into photoshop to do 72x72.. 96x96.. etc etc.. you know what I'm talking about. Also for people who favor making games for android, Cocoon IO makes incredibly small android games.. Crosswalk introduces 19mb + your game. While Crosswalk I've seen be as little as 2mb + your game.

what version of XDK are you using? are you building 4.1.2 or 5.1.1? what versions of each of the plugins are you using as well? oh and what version of Construct 2? I don't really expect you to answer all that stuff, but what i've experienced

I've used all of those plugins except facebook and have had them work at one point or another and then have them not work... except admob.. that one has been pretty damn steady through it all.

the thing that has tripped me up and others I have spoke with is one day a plugin works then you update something.. or you don't update something and it breaks. heh. So it's just been, in my experience a moving target and sure a solution usually presents itself but if I'm working on a project for someone else.. up time is super important to stay on schedule.. not as much time to wait on someone to update something.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:59 am

@part12studios Thanks for the input. I am about to start the process of getting the game onto appstore so I can have people test via TestFlight. I have had this this working for awhile and have tried to keep current. I currently use version r233 of Construct 2. I am using version 2893 of XDK. I am building 5.1.1.

I purchased the Cranberry plugins on 12/29/2015 and I have not updated since. (Have there been updates?) Looking at the directory...
Vibration 1.0.7
Facebook 2.0.28
UnityAds 1.0.4
Admob 1.0.99

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you...busy week.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:00 am

cool good luck! I wish more people could say they have had the same experience.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:22 pm

@part12studios I should mention it was not easy getting to where I am. You may recall me posting that I actually downloaded Unity at one point because of the frustration I was feeling trying to build within XDK. I think the biggest thing for me was the inconsistency when dealing with plugins. For instance, I mentioned that I use AdMob, UnityAds, Facebook, and Vibration plugins from cranberry. The only one of those I added to my project with the Plugin Management within XDK was the UnityAds. The other 3 are incorporated within intelxdk.config.additions.xml and they were not added correctly by default. Once I had them set correctly, I saved this xml file off so now my process is: Export from C2 -> Copy and Paste the saved off additions file on the Develop tab within XDK -> Build. (I wish there was a way I could lock down the additions file so I could just export and build.)

Question: I have never even dipped my toe in Android waters, but I plan to. If I have this working fine for iOS, would you anticipate that I should be OK when I move to building for Android as well? Thanks.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:10 pm

its likely something will not work with android. you might get lucky. it sounds like you have a good solid method for doing things. I definitely have seen things work for one and fail on the other (ios vs android) so anything is possible and you won't know till you try.

Might be good for you to make a tutorial that just outlines what you said but more explicit if/when you have time. I know I'd be willing to give XDK another look with some new insight on the subject. I've just banged my head against the XKD wall long enough to not be eager to come running back.

Though I'm still pretty darn happy with Cocoon IO overall. MUCH smaller APK's alone are worth the price of admission. 2mb+game vs crosswalks 19mb+game
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:47 pm

part12studios wrote:its likely something will not work with android. you might get lucky. it sounds like you have a good solid method for doing things. I definitely have seen things work for one and fail on the other (ios vs android) so anything is possible and you won't know till you try.

Might be good for you to make a tutorial that just outlines what you said but more explicit if/when you have time. I know I'd be willing to give XDK another look with some new insight on the subject. I've just banged my head against the XKD wall long enough to not be eager to come running back.

Though I'm still pretty darn happy with Cocoon IO overall. MUCH smaller APK's alone are worth the price of admission. 2mb+game vs crosswalks 19mb+game

Really? You can get them down that small with cocoon?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General