Consider Cocoon if XDK is not working (updated)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:37 pm

PiriB wrote:@Zebbi ,

Yes, i can confirm the performance. I have spent a week or two of testing and Cocoon beats latest XDK. Btw, my game was completely unplayable on Android 4.2.2 (which still holds like 25% of market share) via XDK + Crosswalk, but with Cocoon performance is quite good. I also experienced some bugs regarding music and advertisement in XDK, but Cocoon had nothing like that. I also tried building by Adobe's Phonegapp - the performance was the worst there. Just FYI.

About your error - the post was in 2014, and a lot could change in this process. I recommend double checking the plug-ins you are using and maybe remove some of them which are not necessary which are not required. As of 09 June 2016, Cocoon is your best shot. It is not perfect, but it is edible.

Thank you, I agree it has the smallest footprint and best performance, just shame it looks a bit like a spy when I'm just using admob and google play games!
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:25 am

Is there any documentation for getting cocoon.io to work on iOS?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:07 am

Since Intel XDK is giving me problems at the moment ("could not establish server connection" error), I may as well find an alternative. Are there any *UPDATED* tutorials or documentation on how to start doing this?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:56 am

Sean Noonan wrote:Is there any documentation for getting cocoon.io to work on iOS?

Hi,

I'm currently working on a new documentation for CocoonIO and iOS.
You'll find the guides here
https://shatter-box.com/article-categories/ios/

If you miss any specific part, let me know.

Moreover you'll find some guides about CocoonIO and Construct 2 here.
https://shatter-box.com/article-categories/cocoonio/

Free code examples can be downloaded here
https://shatter-box.com/download/

(Licensed under Personal Use only)

The wiki isn't complete yet, so if you miss anything, let me know here or use the feedback button on shatter-box.com

Thank you!
Image Image iTunes: Match3 | Google Play: Match3
B
S
G

Post » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:43 pm

Just a bump to see if cocoon was still the fastest or if intel has improved since last year?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:33 am

I did recently make a cocoon io project:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/humped/ ... 73409?mt=8

then i hit a snag with cocoon io (their plugin database got messed up and i was getting a mysterious black screen that i couldn't get to go away..sooo.. i moved over to xdk to make this one:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smod-th ... 54828?mt=8

I was overall pleased with my return to xdk. I did HATE all the icons you have to submit manually.. Cocoon IO does it all with one graphic. Built times were fast on both. Cocoon IO's still got XDK beat in APK size. Cocoon IO makes APK sizes that are a fraction of XDK's crosswalk.. performance wise I couldn't tell a difference. Both were snappy.

I liked using cocoon's native plugins and it's just nice to not need to rely on unsupported ones like the cranberry ones (Sang Ki is a great guy, he just doesn't have time to address issues promptly) where the cocoon ones are officially supported for C2 so if something isn't working you can bring it up and get some support, though they are not fast when you're a silver or free user.

In my case this time though, I found that admob and google analytics worked with with XDK. Overall I felt fairly 50/50.. though my next game I will start with Cocoon IO and this time hope the black screen problem doesn't come back again. That crap is annoying. I can never really clearly get an answer to what is wrong and why it's doing it.. knowing the nature of the problem could better help me understand where I'm doing something wrong to fix it.. anyway, at this point, I think they are both great. Cocoon IO is better for smaller android apps but frankly I still see android as secondary... and iOS as the main and in both cases iOS apps are small.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:28 am

part12studios wrote:I did recently make a cocoon io project:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/humped/ ... 73409?mt=8

then i hit a snag with cocoon io (their plugin database got messed up and i was getting a mysterious black screen that i couldn't get to go away..sooo.. i moved over to xdk to make this one:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/smod-th ... 54828?mt=8

I was overall pleased with my return to xdk. I did HATE all the icons you have to submit manually.. Cocoon IO does it all with one graphic. Built times were fast on both. Cocoon IO's still got XDK beat in APK size. Cocoon IO makes APK sizes that are a fraction of XDK's crosswalk.. performance wise I couldn't tell a difference. Both were snappy.

I liked using cocoon's native plugins and it's just nice to not need to rely on unsupported ones like the cranberry ones (Sang Ki is a great guy, he just doesn't have time to address issues promptly) where the cocoon ones are officially supported for C2 so if something isn't working you can bring it up and get some support, though they are not fast when you're a silver or free user.

In my case this time though, I found that admob and google analytics worked with with XDK. Overall I felt fairly 50/50.. though my next game I will start with Cocoon IO and this time hope the black screen problem doesn't come back again. That crap is annoying. I can never really clearly get an answer to what is wrong and why it's doing it.. knowing the nature of the problem could better help me understand where I'm doing something wrong to fix it.. anyway, at this point, I think they are both great. Cocoon IO is better for smaller android apps but frankly I still see android as secondary... and iOS as the main and in both cases iOS apps are small.

Is this with crosswalk or webview? I'd have thought once webview has phased out crosswalk, between the improved apk size, the performance should be as good?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:56 pm

I don't know about webview.. i just know in xdk i built for android and the apks were bloaty... where with cocoon io it wasn't. Maybe there is some trick I don't know about, but this was only like last month that i did it so I don't know how long it's been since crosswalk was phased out. I haven't touched XDK in well over a year.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:21 pm

part12studios wrote:I don't know about webview.. i just know in xdk i built for android and the apks were bloaty... where with cocoon io it wasn't. Maybe there is some trick I don't know about, but this was only like last month that i did it so I don't know how long it's been since crosswalk was phased out. I haven't touched XDK in well over a year.

I think webview is what android 5+ can use, so eventually you won't need crosswalk and apparently performance is the same as cocoon.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:46 pm

cool, honestly i think they are both equal for the most part.. i haven't made a game yet that performed bad on either. even the bloat on crosswalk i don't really care about. as long as plugins work i'm happy. i had no problems with xdk / plugins this time which was nice because i've fought with them before and it was hell.. cocoon dropped the ball on my latest game with the admob plugin bug their servers had.. and then the blackscreen problem was disappointing.. but yea xdk was good for me this time. What is nice though is when one fucks up.. at least there is an alternative. and XDK has fucked up royally in the past.. so I have no faith in either at this point.. my next game i'll probably try cocoon again first just because their plugin management is superb and the single image that makes all the graphics you need in one action are glorious.. but yea if i can't get games to work then i'll try xdk as a plan b.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General