Consider Cocoon if XDK is not working (updated)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:45 pm

part12studios wrote:@Zebbi sorry i missed your post in my replies. No believe me I think Scirra definitely should figure out some kind of iOS/Android publishing pipeline that is PART of the engine.. i'm guessing 90% of the C2 users and adopters are expecting to make games for mobile.

I started another thread awhile back you can weigh in on here.. viewtopic.php?f=146&t=161896 basically C3 NEEDS this. I don't care if they make the software $500.. they need it. Relying on any 3rd party solution is bad.. and exactly what we are experiencing is why.

GameSalad did do that right. It had a lot of limitations but knowing that they had a pipeline to get your games to iOS/Android really helped me.. I was able to kick out games for iOS/Android.. serious releases in a matter of 1-2 months each.. it was a kind of golden era.. the reason though I moved from it was it's walled garden was too limited.. C2 is a a superior game engine on just about every level.. but asking C2 to take some lessons from other game engines doesn't make it bad.. just ways it could be improved

One hurdle I've run into is testing ads for admob, CocoonAds doesn't seem to have testing mode for the ads, whereas scirra's admob plugin does.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:59 pm

as long as the ads appear it's working.. i have the ads appearing. the big rule with admob is don't tap your ads.. that can get your account banned.

Are you having trouble getting ads to appear?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:03 am

http://appodeal.com/+702cce69791d2fb67f4a39d2464ee1a7

and use that plugin for ads it link to your admob account and you can test your ads without getting banned
i use that plugin in all my game plus it paid more
Last edited by wizdigitech on Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:50 am

If you're talking about Canvas+, that has been officially unsupported for some time now, because it's incompatible with so many features it basically never works. So if you try to use it you are on your own and should not have any expectation of it working correctly. The Cordova exports which are based on real browser engines are the officially supported export options for mobile, and as far as I am aware, they are working fine for the vast majority of users.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:09 pm

who are these people having great success? what plugins are they using? none.. sure no problem.. but xdk / c2 / plugins are all changing with no regulation / oversight.

I've been fighting with XDK for months to get all of the plugins working for client work (thankfully a very patient guy!) and going over to cocoon IO I was able to in a matter of weeks to get everything working.. mostly just learning / experimenting..

@Ashley canvas+ is working well with Cocoon IO from what I have seen so far and with Cordova plugins which was a big problem in the past. Should we be using Webview? or Webview+ for better results?

This is why there needs to be a legitimate plugin store with developer controlled pricing.. they need to be able to charge what they think is worthwhile to make / support.

or you should consider hiring developers to make the plugins and pay them and include them WITH the engine with constant support / supervision to insure they work with the latest versions of C2 and AT LEAST one formally tested export platform..

I don't care if we used XDK, I just need to know as a professional that the entire publishing path is monitored and tested for me so I don't have to constantly fear something breaking.. give us specific tested xdk versions (don't upgrade warnings) or whatever..

Cocoon IO has simply been the first time since this summer than I'm back to making games and not fighting plugins and losing my own revenue sinking tons of time into a fixed budget project.

Final Thought: If you are concerned that this extra help will cost money.. the by all means.. give me some monthly plan to join and pay to be part of a curated publishing experience please! I know we have a lot of cheap indie developers that thing $130 should give them the kingdom of heaven.. you know as well as anyone.. you're making money one time.. you NEED more developers to buy this one time product.. this means the money will run out eventually without this.. a premium monthly service would offset dev costs for you and even bring in some additional revenue.. please consider something like this. The professionals here have no problem paying for greater support / service. More professionals will attract amateurs.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:50 pm

Ashley wrote:If you're talking about Canvas+, that has been officially unsupported for some time now, because it's incompatible with so many features it basically never works. they are working fine for the vast majority of users.

i agree with Ashley here because upto now i cant get Appodeal plugin to build in my game on cocoon.io it work ok with intel xdk

@part12studios bro Ashley right both you and i know the number one reason cocoon better than intel is because of the .apk file size
once you optimise your game in C2 it run fast, for me cocoon slow or as Ashley say it has been officially unsupported
The fact remain construct 2 should not depend on a third party wrapper :roll:
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:59 pm

@wizdigitech absolutely about 3rd party wrapper.. it's a piss poor business model and it shows.. as I've said in another thread.. it needs to be part of the Construct experience. Cordova is open source. C3 should have cordova built in.. with plugins made to work with THAT. Make Construct 2 have two options.. perhaps a basic paid one time version that does things how C2 currently does things.. this would be good for developers who can code and know how to make plugins work for them, fix javascript / etc.. however the other would be Construct as a service. go with a paid subscription like a lot of others services model.. why pay more? because you're guaranteed plugins that work.. updates that are regulated and a pipely to know your games should work following a single curated approach..

It needs to be painfully clear to would-be adopters of Construct 2 that their experience going to mobile is going to be statistically likely to be shitty and confusing. Right now on the main page iOS / Android are just stated as options and while that's technically true its "reasonably easy" to publish a game to Android or iOS with XDK if you don't do anything fancy.. but developers need to know they have access to a wide range of monetizing options.

@wizdigitech also so you're having trouble with appodeal with canvas+ what about webview and webview+ do they work any better / differently? I know size / performance would change but at least, do they work?
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:10 pm

no webview and webview+ did not work also
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:16 pm

is the appodeal a cordova plugin? i'm wondering if it might not be.. and if it's not that would explain why it doesn't work.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:05 pm

Ashley wrote:If you're talking about Canvas+, that has been officially unsupported for some time now, because it's incompatible with so many features it basically never works. So if you try to use it you are on your own and should not have any expectation of it working correctly. The Cordova exports which are based on real browser engines are the officially supported export options for mobile, and as far as I am aware, they are working fine for the vast majority of users.

Cocoon.io seems to compile C2's Cordova exports for Canvas+
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General