Construct 2 and 1080p Capabilities?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:06 am

Ouya and stand alone PC game project in mind. Interested in filming live action HD sequences for story cut scenes similar to the Wing Commander series of games. Also looking at creating scale model levels and background layers for an all-hd digitized look.

I've been reading reports that construct 2 may be too weak for 1080p, and android support is no-native with unpredictable results.

I may need to look at alternatives, which is sad because I was really beginning to develop an understanding of construct. We are a team of award nominated filmmakers and effects artists, hoping to turn heads with a proof of concept game and eventual commercial release.
B

Post » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:20 am

Did you test with CocoonJS?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:24 am

What does "construct 2 may be too weak for 1080p" ?

If i made 1080p game with 5 256x256 sprites it mean that it will be not playable?
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:43 am

Unless you're building a game for gaming computers, 1080p with hundreds of huge sprites will be too much probably.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:54 am

Almost all modern platforms hardware-accelerate rendering. Construct 2 does not have any particular weakness here; if the hardware can handle 1080p rendering, then I'm sure Construct 2 games will work OK as well.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:47 am

I haven't tested anything yet. The game would have a project area of 1920x1080. Actor size may be something like 64x128 (tall) or some such. Individual layer elements will range but will have to appear whole in screen dimensions. Enemies and props of different sizes of course, you don't need me to explain how that all works.

Still no answer on video playback capabilities of construct?

Don't know what Cocoonjs is. As I said, I'm learning in the free demo version, I'd hate to buy the license to discover Construct 2 doesn't do what I require of it. There seems to be exactly zero examples of games made with Construct running at 1080p WITH high definition assets. The most complete games I've ran on the nexus 7 tablet either crash at startup or run in single-digit framerates... That can't be the standard...
B

Post » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:50 am

Alright I'll take at shot at answering your question.

C2 does 1080p. This is not the limit of the engine. This is just pixel(w/h) value. C2 will do just fine, but it's not your entire answer regarding what you want. If you were running on the PC you would be just fine. your not. Your targeting mobile platforms I suspect Ouya and iPad with retina?

"Almost all modern platforms hardware-accelerate rendering. Construct 2 does not have any particular weakness here; if the hardware can handle 1080p rendering, then I'm sure Construct 2 games will work OK as well."

This is true to a large extent, but not everything. C2 piggy backs on UIWebview(built in browser widget for ios and android). This for mobile has hit major rendering road block. WebGL is the javascript bindings to the OpenGL graphics acceleration. Which IOS and Android do not have. It only has canvas acceleration and it's not the same thing nor does it carry the same rendering speeds. In fact Canvas acceleration is much slower than any of the GL rendering.

The Tegra 3(Ouya) can in 720p in OpenGL ES can render 5000 moving sprites and get smooth performance. In the Android NDK(Java) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-7B_hsr5as. A simlar test on PC in C2 with WebGl and I only managed 3000 in 720p before the 60fps would slow down. The same test on the iPad2 resulted in a steady 80fps before slow down. The tegra 2 resulted in 15fps(browser and CocoonJS) for only 10 sprites. Now these aren't the Tegra 3 which will do better. ok cocoonjs

CocoonJS is a canvas accelerator. It attempts to improve logic performance to native speeds. It improves Canvas rendering by a lot too. It does improve performance for for IOS and Android. Doubles the base FPS, but will quickly drop down based on a sprite curve. ie the more sprites the more the performance curve drops. The catch here is that CocoonJS/team Ludie doesn't have an Ouya and CocoonJs apps crash. So there is no option to develop for Ouya with CocoonJS. Your limited to using Phonegap and performance is nowhere near as good.

For now. Skip the 1080/960. Go for 960x640 and keep the sprites down for now. Until coocoonjs is workign anyways.

good luck. C2 is awesome :) buy it
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:43 am

Hi @Lovelocke64

If you need more info about what CocoonJS is:

http://vimeo.com/45506217

Or visit our site at ludei.com
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:51 pm

oh yes, C2 can play video. I've seen a few video's playing with C2. I'm sure there will be no problem playing video's in C2. heck if you wanted a video in the background while playing a game in the foreground should be doable :) And running on newer mobile hardware should be fine. Anything from late 2012 power wise should. But I can't stress enough how awesome C2 is and worth purchasing and if your going mobile. Team Ludie CocoonJS is a must.

http://www.scirra.com/forum/cocoonjs-screencanvas_topic61552.html
This is a good thread to hear about performance capabilities :)jayderyu2013-01-31 16:28:22
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:18 pm

Thank you everyone, I appreciate the detailed feedback. I am in love with the concept of Construct 2, and as I mentioned, it has begun to make sense to me... but I'm not doing all of this to make a game for the web, is what it boils down to. I have some wild ambition, and I just wanted to make sure the path to take my HD game to the Ouya, to the Tegra 4 powered Nvidia "Project Shield" and to stand-alone PC was "all green" before buying into the technology.

I have invested in other programs similar to this in the past, even thought about paying the premium subscription for Gamesalad, but in one way or another there has been one bottleneck (or seven) that stood in the way of doing what -I- want to do with it. Construct 2 deserves to have some showcase titles developed for it, and with the group of artists I have attracted to the concept of the project, I'd like to imagine myself bringing that "high end" look to what is being seen as a "for beginners" program.

Polish, polish, polish... it may turn out that we try to develop the game at a 720P resolution and simply "upconvert" the game to a 1080p resolution for Ouya, for PC... if Construct in fact can't handle moving around the size/definition of the assets we're hoping to use.

Would such a thing be possible? It wouldn't have the clarity that something natively made in 1080p would have, but it may be a reasonable tradeoff if it's the best Construct 2 can do. I've searched Google, Youtube and various forums looking for an example of a game running at 1080p, and have turned up -nothing-. Many games are developed for mobile platforms and resolutions at or below standard definition... and regrettibly, many of those games run with framerates in the single digits on a modern Celeron-powered PC (I'm using my mother's computer as a low-end test machine). At home, I have a video card that by today's standards would be considered medium-low end... it can run Skyrim at around those details and pull 35-45 fps outdoors, hugs 50-60fps indoors with that game. Apples and oranges comparison, but I'm just saying... we're also NOT making Skyrim, although we are talking some high-end 2D work.

The first step will be the proof of concept. This will be a game that has the video introduction, a handful of video death sequences, and a video conclusion. We will use basic digitized actor animation for our lead character and likely end up creating "puppets" for a small selection of enemies in addition to "real" high quality photographed sets and scanned, handpainted landscapes for the background.

Total gameplay time might equal 10 minutes with say, 4 minutes of video around that. If it all holds together, and impresses people both here in the forum and out in the world, then we'll go the kickstarter route to supplement our bigger scale project.
B

Next

Return to Construct 2 General