Construct 2 Competition!

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:43 am

Here is my entry survive as long as you can or until an error occurs. I wanted to create a simple addictive arcade style space shooter. There still might me errors!

Left mouse button = homing missile
Right mouse button = gatling laser which actually runs on power so not a great idea to hold it down!

The slightly larger objects that come in slow all the other things down, they have a few hit points.

I knocked this up real quick so it's missing a few things I had planned.

EDIT: It starts off paused so press P to begin!

It gets harder hopefully...

a) Last Stand
b) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19078872/Last%20Stand/index.html
c) UK00Rez2011-10-27 12:54:44
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:05 am

I'll just leave this here and edit the post later today as I am late for work! I can't miss the compo deadline, but I can always add a description later :)
Game: Impulse Cracker
URL: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39044660/impulse%20cracker/index.html

Edit:
My entry is "impulse cracker".
The story, which unfortunately isn't included in the game, is that you are from an alien planet, and your species can "listen" to radio waves, and uses them to communicate. They don't normally hear the background noise of space because their "brains" or whatever passes for that tunes it out.
However, humans have been sending lots and lots of radio waves over the last century or so, and therefore you were sent to wipe out their radio capabilities (hence the title).

The original plan was to have five levels.
Shows your path before reaching the earth perimeter. You can play a VERY BUGGY AND INCOMPLETE version of this level by pressing "ctrl+z" in the game over screen.
Your first contact with civilization, with some astronauts (that don't shoot back) and leftover landing modules.
Before entering the earth, you see a ton of debris, rocket/spaceship parts and deactivated satellites. Their (unused) models:
This is the level that you play in the current version of the game. The only thing that was cut here was a barn building.
This was going to have some soldiers, tanks and missile trucks. check out an (unused) model:

The game is controlled via wasd and the mouse.
WASD controls the ship
mouse controls where you are aiming at
left mouse fires your gun
right mouse opens your abduction ray.

initially, for the first 5 seconds or so, you can't see the ground because the interface gets in the way, but then "the ground goes up".

The point is to shoot the enemies and collect the experience they drop.
You use the experience to get better stuff for your ship. You can make the ship faster, fire more often, deal more damage and etc.
The idea was that the game would let you get experience in the asteroids and moon levels before dropping you into enemy fire. This was cut from the submission, but we allow you to keep the experience and points in order to allow you to play the game. The levels are infinitely long - they never end. See for yourself.

A bug in construct 2 corrupted my files - I believe this is somehow related to writing to a removable disk. It's very weird because it deleted my pictures only, leaving (portions of) my code untouched - I still have the corrupted files. This forced me to re-code portions of my game. Many enemies (animals mostly) have the same behavior as a result.

Also, the preview seems to behave differently than the exported file, so there may be some inconsistencies (such as the ship not respawning). I'll try to fix it.Kyatric2011-10-27 11:48:52
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:20 am

@Fimbul: Restart is bugged (ship does not reappear).
I can't see the "lower ground" (as if the view did not follow the ship's altitude).

Is there a way to shoot or to have some action ?

Direction is via the hellish "WASD" :/ it's an horror on my keyboard. Also the ship is slow to move, making it hard to avoid/dodge bullets.

It looks nice otherwise, I'd love to see this more "polished" and "working" (by knowing what all the controls are, missing from the helps screen).
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:28 am

Oh! I have one little annoying remaining bug,
Hope I can correct it in time (just one item that doesn't display in the stat screen, and didn't make the credit layout damn so the credit button redirects to the intro for now)

Other than that, I'm more or less done.

a) MoonShield
b) http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23551572/C2-Games/MoonShield/index.html
c) France

hope you like it

Edit : credit frame done in extremisYann2011-10-27 10:56:21
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:28 am

Here is my humble entry, almost give up on it, because unexpected crash yesterday and have to redo it from scratch.

Work great on latest version of Chrome, looks okay on Firefox and IE. Sometimes it just randomly freeze without clear reason, so just hit F5 to refresh.

Anyway, I love this contest, it energized me so much.

a) Venusians Incident
b) URL: Dropbox link
c) Thailand raindropm2011-10-27 10:34:07
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:55 am

Title: Can't turn it off
Play it here
Brazil

I didn't had enough time to finish.
I was working in the C2 start page last week, so I only worked less than a week on it.

I will try to finish it later.

Edit: Strange, it is in a public folder. I uploaded to my ftp so I guess is working now.

Also forgot the controls:

WASD or Directional - move
Left Click - interact/hide dialog
Space - skip introAnimmaniac2011-10-27 12:07:48
Scirra Employee
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:06 am

@Animmaniac: your link returns a dropbox 404 error.
It doesn't look like a public link.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image
Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:18 am

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39044660/impulse%20cracker%20azerty/index.html <<<< same thing as the original, but for azerty keyboards. (S2 frenchies :D)

My entry is "impulse cracker".
The story, which unfortunately isn't included in the game, is that you are from an alien planet, and your species can "listen" to radio waves, and uses them to communicate. They don't normally hear the background noise of space because their "brains" or whatever passes for that tunes it out.
However, humans have been sending lots and lots of radio waves over the last century or so, and therefore you were sent to wipe out their radio capabilities (hence the title).

The original plan was to have five levels.
Shows your path before reaching the earth perimeter. You can play a VERY BUGGY AND INCOMPLETE version of this level by pressing "ctrl+z" in the game over screen.
Your first contact with civilization, with some astronauts (that don't shoot back) and leftover landing modules.
Before entering the earth, you see a ton of debris, rocket/spaceship parts and deactivated satellites. Their (unused) models:
This is the level that you play in the current version of the game. The only thing that was cut here was a barn building.
This was going to have some soldiers, tanks and missile trucks. check out an (unused) model:

The game is controlled via wasd and the mouse.
WASD controls the ship
mouse controls where you are aiming at
left mouse fires your gun
right mouse opens your abduction ray.

initially, for the first 5 seconds or so, you can't see the ground because the interface gets in the way, but then "the ground goes up".

The point is to shoot the enemies and collect the experience they drop.
You use the experience to get better stuff for your ship. You can make the ship faster, fire more often, deal more damage and etc.
The idea was that the game would let you get experience in the asteroids and moon levels before dropping you into enemy fire. This was cut from the submission, but we allow you to keep the experience and points in order to allow you to play the game. The levels are infinitely long - they never end. See for yourself.

A bug in construct 2 corrupted my files - I believe this is somehow related to writing to a removable disk. It's very weird because it deleted my pictures only, leaving (portions of) my code untouched - I still have the corrupted files. This forced me to re-code portions of my game. Many enemies (animals mostly) have the same behavior as a result.

Also, the preview seems to behave differently than the exported file, so there may be some inconsistencies (such as the ship not respawning). I'll try to fix it.

Can any moderator edit my original post and add this information there?Fimbul2011-10-27 12:03:27
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:41 am

We Three Cosmonauts
Download (approx. 1MB)
United States of America

That was a lot of work, pheww!

EDIT: My goodness, there are a lot of entries here The Bespectacled One2011-10-27 11:50:28
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:26 pm

I think this thread must be closed now. Isnt it?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General