Construct 2 Easy to Use but Lacks alot

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri May 27, 2016 4:10 pm

Took me about a year to get comfortable with C2's quirks.. you've only been using it for 2 months, which is from my perspective not enough time to get accustomed to everything.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 27, 2016 6:10 pm

Hello;

I have to agree there are some strange things about C2. Most programmers think of a character as a collection of attributes one of which is the sprite. But c2 (probably correctly) has you fill the sprite with your characteristics and then sticks it on a layout. A programmer would think "fine, when I go to the next layout I will just turn his sprite off till I want him again", but it turns out you can't send your sprite to the next layout you have to make him global in which case he is in everylayout and he is still recieving mouse clicks in invisible.

You could put him in a global dictionary and "instantiate" a new sprite for him when he happens to be on a layout--but you are starting to need to program to do this kind of thing. You could put him in static variables in an event sheet and do the same thing, but once again you are starting to have to program. So yes, it takes a while to figure this stuff out. It is easy to get something up and working in a few days, but you really have to work to understand C2. Game maker has the same learning curve and it is not as consistent.

It takes some time to learn C2 (I still can't figure out when to use wait 0) but it is well documented and very consistent and you can always get very good help for free within a few hours.

To the OP--its worth the work so stick with it. Ask more detailed sprecific questions if you have trouble.

yours
Winkr7
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 27, 2016 6:36 pm

supreme676 wrote:This Engine is starting to get on my nerves

Starting to feel like I've waisted my money, spent over 2000 Dollars and my results are sad

I restarted my game over about 9 times because of some features not working correctly with others or simple problems like [[moving player to new layout plus keeping variables]] to be EXTREMELY hard to do and taking Hrs to figure out.

If you want to create a game where you jump and go straight then this is the Engine for you but other then that I recommend you look else where.

Been using this program for a month or 2 and in the beginning this engine was very easy to use but now that I advanced it feels like this gaming engine has gotten 10 times harder to use. Here are my results

1st try- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7VSPBKjTJY

3rd try- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWNQYIY6yJE

6th try- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQHkO1H3gew

Last try- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MznElMTJwYc

Ill try back in about a year or 2 hopefully the engine is better optimized but for now Ima go buy and try a few other engines. Im use to using the Unreal Engine but My budget is only around 20,000 so I decided to make a 2d MMO game using a easy to use engine but there far to many problems for the type of project Im creating.

hi,
use unity + blox 3 plugin
sorry scirra
B
S

Post » Sat May 28, 2016 11:27 am

mahdi71 wrote:hi,
sorry scirra

This looks one interesting plugin, I haven't seen it before. However Unity has a much bigger learning curve than C2 and that block based visual programming the plugin uses is not so efficient as event sheets.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 28, 2016 11:54 am

glerikud wrote:
sorry scirra

This looks one interesting plugin, I haven't seen it before. However Unity has a much bigger learning curve than C2 and that block based visual programming the plugin uses is not so efficient as event sheets.

:shock:
why ?
B
S

Post » Sat May 28, 2016 1:54 pm

A beginner complaining blaming an engine for his lack of knowledge. Again. @supreme676, instead of creating topics such as this one, if you really want to create this project, learn! And if you don't want to learn, you can hire / team with other C2 programmers. Otherwise, move on and don't blame Construct 2.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 28, 2016 6:39 pm

mahdi71 wrote: :shock:
why ?

Not regarding performance, but in my experience bigger projects built with that method result in a messy code you'll have a hard time to see through. Node based methods (like blueprints in UE4) also suffer from this problem. It ultimately comes down to user preference, since some programmers prefer text-based code for bigger projects. C2 offers very good orgranization methods for your event sheets and if you use them correctly, you won't get lost in the code.
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 28, 2016 10:49 pm

winkr7 wrote: but it turns out you can't send your sprite to the next layout you have to make him global in which case he is in everylayout and he is still recieving mouse clicks in invisible.

you can always instead of keeping the position of the global sprite and turn its visibility off... just move it outside ... and its out of the reach of the clicks? just saying.

or you could check for invisibilty... if sprite.actor.opacity=0 and object click do nothing. else do this etc

that looks exactly like Stencyl and scratch visual editor. :O its intriguing ... however gameplay performance after developing with those and to actually getting them as i see on youtube tutorials... are pretty bad...

plus ... all games you wrap with unity needs to be runn'd on unityplayer which i think its a big stepback. since unity player doesn't work on chrome ...
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 28, 2016 11:00 pm

glerikud wrote:
mahdi71 wrote: :shock:
why ?

Not regarding performance, but in my experience bigger projects built with that method result in a messy code you'll have a hard time to see through. Node based methods (like blueprints in UE4) also suffer from this problem. It ultimately comes down to user preference, since some programmers prefer text-based code for bigger projects. C2 offers very good orgranization methods for your event sheets and if you use them correctly, you won't get lost in the code.

Fixed.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat May 28, 2016 11:08 pm

newt wrote:Fixed.

B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General