Construct 2 event limit ?

Discuss game development design and post your game ideas

Post » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:45 pm

Adding lots of global variables is fine. Anything not mentioned in performance tips will probably not have any significant effect on your game.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:00 pm

The question is, do you need all those variables, or can you use arrays?

I.E. are your variables all different, like:
PieceMoving
NumberOfPeices

or are there some related variables, like:
Piece1Moving
Piece2Moving
Piece3Moving

etc.

The first case is fine, the second is inefficient.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:37 am

actually i started with using variables for every weapon and for each player separately but then i divided them by one for each category..but i am still not clear on arrays and specially functions..as how to use them in construct...i am looking at some tutorials and lets hope i can lower the number of variables and events..
Udain Tomar
Game Designer
B
S

Post » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:54 pm

B
S
G

Post » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:45 pm

I don't know what your programming background is so I won't make any assumptions there besides that you have none. Don't take that as a personal offense please. i'm just establishing a base line for my reply.

Construct 2 creates a lot of Javascript code when your game is exported. Everything Construct does is based around the capabilities of Javascript and it does it insanely well for a visual editor. With that said, do some research into object oriented programming principles. Javascript can't do it the same way that a true OOP language would, like java, C++, or C#. You can come really close though and use a lot of the same methods and principles.

After you do that, read the manual for Construct thoroughly. That'll give you a great idea of what capabilities you have in Construct and things will start to click. You'll see how everything fits together.

I'm willing to bet you can massively cut events and create much cleaner code that way.
Kurieus
Come visit and play Blast Box!
B
S

Post » Thu May 08, 2014 11:16 pm

Remove the "%20" at the end of @Whiteclaws 's link for it to work :-) it's worth reading.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Game Development, Design & Ideas