Construct 2 for Linux

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:24 pm

"What could be done was change the code Construct to be more platform independent, "Windowsless" (like GIMP and GTK). It would be really interesting."

I think it is kind of too late to transfer/edit the whole C2 code, also as @michael stated, C2 has enough issues with bad graphic card drivers on windows, so on linux it could be even worse.

the time to make that happen will be far too long IMO.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:45 am

Ashley wrote:It would be a monumental and incredibly expensive amount of work for a relatively small userbase.

People saying this are missing the point.
The only reason the userbase* is still smaller is that very few people dare to make a difference.

Do you really think consumers would willingly use Windows if their favourite software was available for an OS like Ubuntu or MacOSX (both way more user friendly than Windows)? An OS that seldom crashes and, when it does, prints concise messages rather than the Gobbledy-Gook Windows treats it's users to?

Heck. I think a company supporting a game development framework owes it to themselves and their userbase to publish their whole software to Linux. This way, users can grow and actually acquire some skills they might need later on (if they chose to pursue a professional, IT centric career).

I can't speak for MacOSX, but porting to Linux is blatantly easy and having a varying amount of distros isn't an issue, at all. Most users will choose a Debian based distro, which means you can use dpkg to pack Construct2 as a .deb. Debian also has an rpm packager available, so you can port your .deb to .rpm (used by RHEL, CentOS, etc) in a matter of minutes. Dependencies also won't be much of a problem. Especially if your download page lists certain distros that should be used.

@michael

It looks to me as if most of these issues come down to a quite error prone Direct3D implementation (AFAIK, the editor view uses D3D rather then OGL). By porting it over to Unix, you'd have to convert all your rendering code to OpenGL, which should also allow you to iron out all the little flaws within the rendering code.

*That's homeusers, btw. In enterprise applications (especially the server space), Windows is slowly but steadily going the way of the Dodo.
B
S

Post » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:47 pm

@Blinx123

I think its all coded in MS visual studio ....

If so, ... it would require a full re-write from the start.

If c++ is not ashley's forte, ... well .. lets just say it would take quite a bit of time before a next update/release.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:00 pm

lennaert wrote:@Blinx123

I think its all coded in MS visual studio ....

If so, ... it would require a full re-write from the start.

If c++ is not ashley's forte, ... well .. lets just say it would take quite a bit of time before a next update/release.

What do you mean by MS Visual Studio? Visual Studio is just an IDE with some advanced features (version control, integrated build server, gamification, GUI designer, etc).

Of course, if Construct 2 makes heavy use of Windows specific APIs it would've to be rewritten a fair bit. But if an application in our day and age still makes heavy use of Microsoft specific stuff, it should probably be rewritten anyways.

Where I come from, we call this legacy software.

BTW: Even without a native port, Construct 2 already runs better under Ubuntu than Windows 7 for me. So the least Scirra could do is work with someone from Wine or Crossover, fix some of the quirks and deploy a fully wrapped application as a download.
B
S

Post » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:06 pm

I would assume visual basic.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:10 pm

lennaert wrote:I would assume visual basic.

If that was the case, stuff would be even less of a hassle to port to *nix (Mono).
I'm quite sure it isn't, though. For several reasons.

1. It would be way too easy to steal all the source.
2. Performance
3. As far as I remember, Ashley is somewhat of a regular on Stackoverflow. In fact, I think I read a few C++ specific comments from him in the past.
Last edited by Blinx123 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S

Post » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:12 pm

Then I might have assumed wrong ^_^

Oh well, he mentiont it at least, that it would take loads amount of work to port and maintain it.
As far as I can tell, scirra is a small team with ashley being the main programmer.

I think for such a porting project and maintenance, he would require a few clones.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:17 pm

lennaert wrote:Then I might have assumed wrong ^_^

Oh well, he mentiont it at least, that it would take loads amount of work to port and maintain it.
As far as I can tell, scirra is a small team with ashley being the main programmer.

I think for such a porting project and maintenance, he would require a few clones.

Construct 2 is using a lot of Windows specific baggage, from the looks of it.
This could explain his past comments.

Truth be told. If I was him I would want to get rid of the baggage, no matter what. Not even because of a possible port to *nix but because of the maintainability.

Microsoft is prone to introduce software breaking API changes. What works now might not necessarily work with Windows 9 or 11 (never mind 10, as that's an entirely cloud based OS).
B
S

Post » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:57 pm

Actually, my experience of Linux is horribly broken graphics card drivers that crash or even brick the system, and some inconvenient UI too. The Linux kernel is probably pretty awesome but I don't really buy the idea it's good for ordinary consumers just yet!

Regardless, we are well aware of the demand for support on other platforms, and we're factoring this in to our long term plans.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General