Construct 2 Free LIMITATION

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:47 pm

[QUOTE=Mipey] Um. You want to make a 'great' game... for free?

All good things have a price, such as Angry Birds. ;)[/QUOTE]

well said sir.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:32 pm

Ha ha, Angry Birds, more like "Physics Engine the Game, now with trial and error!" because it's like any game on AddictingGames.com.

: p

I feel a game like Angry Birds (which is INCREDIBLY simplistic - fling a physics object at other physics objects and MAYBE you'll win) can be made within the limits of a C2 Free Edition.

You won't make a game like Super Metroid with 100 events, but having limitations means you have to get creative to surpass those limitations; however, you won't be able to make your dream game with the free edition. But using the free plugins and behaviors, etc., it'll be damn good practice.EmperorIng3602011-12-18 19:32:58
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:50 pm

I think C2 it's VERY affordable right now. It was very nice of the guys here to make the early adopter promotion. Now it's the best way to get it. I understand that in some places $32 might be steep, but you can't really find anything similar to C2 cheaper and C2 will only get more expensive later. So do the math.

About MMF2, MMF2 it's inferior to C2 for game making. The only thing it has on it the EXE export and a few other exporters. But these will come in the future. I have faith that C2 will have many exporters.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:13 pm

I am almost certain that angry birds could be made in under 100 events. Maybe not the menu or some of the different power-ups, but certainly the core gameplay.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:08 am

Can I sell the game I make in the Free Edition because since I can't afford a license that would be the only way to get one, by selling the small games I make. And one more thing, when is the next competition - I would love to enter, might the the only way for me to get a license.

If anyone can help me out - I have awesome ideas for small addictive games. Thanx
"The first principle of a free society is an untrammeled flow of words in an open forum." - Adlai E. Stevenson
B
S

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:11 am

Wazza wrote:Can I sell the game I make in the Free Edition because since I can't afford a license that would be the only way to get one, by selling the small games I make. And one more thing, when is the next competition - I would love to enter, might the the only way for me to get a license.

No, you require a license. If everyone could plead a case Scirra would have tens of thousands of people trying to grab free copies. if you sell a game you make in the free edition you're breaking the EULA and are breaking the law. Wait until you can afford a license, then sell the game.
Founder of Jadelight Studio, Developer of Libertas Aedifex, regular C2 Help contributor and fan of ambient music and Star Wars.
B
S

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:12 am

sqiddster wrote:I am almost certain that angry birds could be made in under 100 events. Maybe not the menu or some of the different power-ups, but certainly the core gameplay.

Definitely in under 100, more than likely including power-ups, :).
Founder of Jadelight Studio, Developer of Libertas Aedifex, regular C2 Help contributor and fan of ambient music and Star Wars.
B
S

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:59 am

inquiesco wrote:
sqiddster wrote:I am almost certain that angry birds could be made in under 100 events. Maybe not the menu or some of the different power-ups, but certainly the core gameplay.

Definitely in under 100, more than likely including power-ups, :).

Signed. You literally only need 2 events for up and down movement.
For the powerups: 1-2 events per power-up.

As I never played the game myself and don't know what you can do in the menu, but a maximum of 10-20 events should be sufficient.

Edit: Sorry, forgot... you don't have a down movement, only up :) So, it is only 1 event, when set up correctly ;)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:22 am

Ashley wrote:The free edition isn't limited to 30 days - it lasts forever.

You can make small games in 100 events. I'm sorry if that's a difficult limit for you, but we can't give away the full software for free, otherwise it wouldn't exist at all! No paid edition, no free edition, no Construct 2 at all. So I'm afraid we have to stick with what we've done so we can keep developing it.Ashley2011-12-15 18:04:49

Construct 2 is biased against strategy games, given that global variables count as an event.

One could do a work around using arrays, but global variables are included in the drop down list, thus making it more intuitive to use global variables as opposed to a dictionary or array object.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:11 am

ryackov wrote:
Ashley wrote:The free edition isn't limited to 30 days - it lasts forever.

You can make small games in 100 events. I'm sorry if that's a difficult limit for you, but we can't give away the full software for free, otherwise it wouldn't exist at all! No paid edition, no free edition, no Construct 2 at all. So I'm afraid we have to stick with what we've done so we can keep developing it.Ashley2011-12-15 18:04:49

Construct 2 is biased against strategy games, given that global variables count as an event.

One could do a work around using arrays, but global variables are included in the drop down list, thus making it more intuitive to use global variables as opposed to a dictionary or array object.

I agree that the global variables could be not counted(but local variables are just too convenient to not be counted), however, even for strategy games, you should keep their number pretty low (ressources would be easily stored into dictionnaries, and having different dictionnaries for the different players, global variables being used for values that are global to the game itself).

Also, the free version of C2 is here to learn the program before buying it, of course it is not as convenient to use, but it is worth it and small projects can do without needed that much convenience.
https://www.scirra.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=152506

And that is why you shall respect the bug reports guidelines, not only giving a capx is making the bug reproductible in one click in a situation they can work with (less time wasted trying to reproduce vague instructions) but also it helps filtering false positives.

Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General