"Construct 2" Is Better Than "GameMaker: Studio"

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:00 am

[QUOTE=Naji] All The other game dev programs stink[/QUOTE]

Actually, no they don't. They are all very capable if you learn how to use them. They may be more complicated, or challenging to use them, but they are all capable of creating top notch proffessional games, and because of their complexity and comprehensiveness most are capable of things C2 can't even dream of. C2 is easy to use, but less comprehensive than some of the others. That doesn't mean they stink, just that you don't have the patience nor the inclination to use them and like C2 better. But just because you like it better doesn't necessarily make it a better system.
B
S

Post » Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:39 am

[QUOTE=Naji] All The other game dev programs stink[/QUOTE]

C'mon, that's taking it too far. Discussion of other tools is allowed on the forum, but please refrain from being insulting about it. Statements like that tend to offend and drive people away, and we want this to be a very welcoming community. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean they're not good for other people.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:14 am

No software is better than the next. It is only better for the current task you want it to do. Some are ideal for xyz, others shine with abc. The issue is choosing the correct program for the job.
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:59 am

You all stink. Of onions.

No wait, that's me, I just had them for breakfast.

On a more serious note, everyone has their own sweet spot. It is pointless to force one's preferences upon another. Thinks don't work that way.

They work like this:

"I love onions because they move me to tears!"

Everyone has their own reasons for preferring one or another software. Artists, for example, will prefer C2 due to the ease of prototyping as they lack insane coding skills. Game designers will not limit themselves to one tool; they may use C2 to prototype game ideas and implement them in Unity or another more advanced game engine. Or even have their own game engine.

Me? I am just a lazy person that can't be bothered to write marathon code just to implement one feature.

BUT DON'T YOU DARE DISS MY ONIONS. Jes kiddin'. Mipey2013-10-13 10:59:28
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:29 pm

I'd be interesting in hearing WHY people specifically prefer C2 over GMS. Is it just because C2 is "easier"?

Have there been limitations people have run into with GMS that they haven't had with C2? What are they?

How does performance stack up between C2 and GMS? Specifically with large quantity sprite rendering.

C2 is based on HTML5 (which has some obvious limitations)... Does anyone know what GMS is based on?

B

Post » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:39 pm

Hi I'm new to the forum and to construct 2 and I would to ask to you how is Multimedia Fusion 2 compared to construct 2.
I know this is the scirra forum so many if not all on this forum use construct but i want to know why multimedia fusion 2 is so denigrate compared to construct 2..

thanks in advance a sorry for my intromission and my bad english
B

Post » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:53 pm

There are a lot of former Multimedia Fusion 2 users using Construct2 these days because of the speed of development, performance of the results, easy to get in touch with and accessible developers, long term prospects etc.

You need to decide for yourself and your specific needs which one is better suited for you, a lot of others have made their choice.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:15 pm

[QUOTE=JC LEON] Hi I'm new to the forum and to construct 2 and I would to ask to you how is Multimedia Fusion 2 compared to construct 2.
I know this is the scirra forum so many if not all on this forum use construct but i want to know why multimedia fusion 2 is so denigrate compared to construct 2..

thanks in advance a sorry for my intromission and my bad english[/QUOTE]

Construct 2 is everything MMF should have been and more. It has sub events, local variables, variables with names, no limit on the number of variables, behaviors that actually work and aren't bug ridden, none of that 'spread value' weirdness to try to get multiple instances of an object to work properly, no broken links to objects in the code, event sheet includes so if you make an edit on a sheet you don't have to copy and paste the edits to other sheets, updates every week or two instead of like once a year or some such, the list goes on and on (it may have improved since I used it last years ago, but considering how long the problems I'm mentioning had been there, I'm not confident they fixed them).

I don't want to bash on MMF because good games can be made with it, but seriously, C2 is better in almost every way. The very, very few things left that MMF does better (I can only think of one thing, actually, direct export to iOS and android. It also exports to flash, but html5 for the most part makes flash export pointless) aren't worth everything else it does worse, and Ashley has stated if no proper chromium-based solution appears for C2 on iOS and android he'll code one himself.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:26 pm

MMF2 basicly uses a different approach to game building too complex to go into in this thread. This is sort of off the main topic in here and might serve better as a new thread.

However the main things to note are in lowest cost versions you only have ability to export EXE files. Making it more for a publisher who only wants the desktop pc market. They hav eaddons but this all not only adds on but also adds uo the cost to produce your games. Html5 is not available but on a todo list.

Hope that helps
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:28 pm

Some great games have been made with MMF, Some great games have been made with C2 and GMS.

Out of the three and there are more in the list, I preferred GMS, and actually dreaded moving to C2.
Took me a week to settle in and haven't looked back.

My thoughts MMF started off with promise, but agree with Arima, C2 is everything MMF should have been. MMF is not friendly, it isn't easy, and has a steep learning curve.

The choice is rather between GMS and Construct 2 - each has its pro and cons and it is dependant on your project.

The only downside, and biggest frustration is exporting to various platforms (iOS and android).

If you want to build serious games, unity3d is the best - hands down, but for ease and simplicity C2 wins hands down.DUTOIT2013-10-25 21:29:55
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General