"Construct 2" Is Better Than "GameMaker: Studio"

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:18 am

I read this topic carefully, and learnded a lot from here. To me, a newbie, C2 forum is totally a friendly and warm community.Thank you all.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:00 am

thanks yuo all for your answers ..I have a clear idea now.

but the major thing worry me about C2 is the lack of tutorials and manuals to learn..

dont get e wrong... C2 tutorials are good and well done , but there arent so many to help complete newbies to learn deepest in the tool.. I know there are tutorials for almost every aspect of C2 but I need books to learn gradually...
MMF2 for examples has tons of step-by-step examples and so many books to learn , due to the age of the engine ,I know, but this help so much new developers like me..

I'm very undecided , I'm afrad to make a wrong choose and waste my money and above all my time if I'll make a wrong decision and after I'll must restart ...again...
B

Post » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:09 am

@JC LEON

Do what I did, use the free version and by the time you hit 100 events you will have a extremely good grounding.

Search the forums (there is a ton of wealth in the forums)
And ask questions (provide your own capx to show your process) and people will comment and tell you what they would do.

Go through the example games (build them) and you will have mastered almost all the basics and be able to build anything you want.

The only way to learn code/programs is to use it.
MMF2 has a very steep learning curve
C2 will take a week and you will be on auto-pilot.

If you want a learning curve with tons of documentation - rather use unity3d, they about to move into 2d realm as well with awesome features.

Most game engines are free to use until you make profit. So there is no wasting money. Just make a game and make money and use profit to purchase software.
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:47 pm

I have the GMS Ultimate Version but I switched to C2 (for now at least).

GM Studio has been updated so all the old manuals that have been written (like The Apprentice and The Companion) aren't 100% compatible;
Are there workarounds?, of course, but if a person is reading and learning from one of those books they don't know the workarounds.

They claim they have the drag and drop system and they do, but it seems they are moving away from it especially for mobile functionality and into the code.

I actually wrote yoyogames an email informing them of my decision to switch over to C2 because I don't really want to be forced to use code.
They wrote back a nice email telling me that they will take what I said into account. ( whatever that means )

This isn't about being too lazy to learn code, its about having the time. When you are working full-time and raising a family learning code
isnt my top priority right now.

I like the C2 behaviors and event sheet. It is easier (for me) to find mistakes I have made. In GM I have to search one by one thru all the different places one can place code.

That said,
GM does has its strengths too:
It can make native apps for iOS, Android, Win8 Mobile, and more.
It seems easier to get your games on these these devices as well.
especially iOS.

My hope is that C2 will eventually (soon) make it easier to deploy games to iOS without the need for a 3rd party.

Oh, and GMS Ultimate is like $800 now..... so ....
producermark112013-11-09 23:57:11
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:30 pm

The best part about C2 is the event system shows you what you can and cannot do via limited conditions/actions.

Because of this, people who do not know code can just look at a list of what they can do and get a better idea of what they need to do. It doesn't need memorization before use, but gives memorization through use.

It's an alternative to memorization. Like all educational things, people learn differently. Some people learn by reading, some people learn by listening, some people learn by getting hands on. C2 brings hands on coding to an accessible point in which can provide a groundwork for more advanced lessons without focused teaching of memorization of code and methods.

Many programmers start out by either making small demo programs based on book lessons, or taking an existing program and modifying it. C2 gives them that off the bat by having the plugin system with gameplay features they can modify/use without actually coding those features.

While C2 may not be perfect at everything, it provides a nice solution for beginners and people who don't have the time or patience to get dirty into code, while being able to do advanced tasks and eventually teach many of the fundamental basics needed to learn actual code easier.

It does what I need it to do, although Mobile support is lacking due to the lack of proper HTML5 wrappers and some ease of use features could be added (which they're on the todo list). But I have no intent of doing a mobile game as if GHG can do Game Dev Tycoon in Node-Webkit, so can I.
That and the market is oversaturated and IMO you're better off throwing it on an HTML5 portal with ads or selling a node-webkit export (perhaps both? lol)

GMS does what it does, but I would not say it's better. C2 is lacking in things, but excels in others. Same with GMS. C2 is far behind in terms of overall developmental completion, but still can stand somewhat beside GMS in the lineup. I'd say that's a pretty good job.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:23 am

I have tried the GMS 1.2.
I try to rebuild my game on GMS for mobile.
I just want to say the native apps performance of GMS exported was better than C2. Realy much better on mobile.
But I like C2 event system. I have some code skill.but I hate coding.English is not my first language. I need to search the doc to find command and function again and again.
I continue to focus on C2 update nowNofish2013-11-08 02:42:29
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:48 am

I develop games for PC mainly, so for me C2 wins every time (my game worked great on the Windows 8.1 surface tablet too, just using basic touch plugin )

That may also be because I was an old Clickteam user, and never gave old GameMaker a chance when it felt counter-intuitive to the event style of Click/Construct/etc

However, C2 is definitely extensible using Javascript plugins, and I've never had great problems doing the same kind of coding I would do in Visual Studio with the event system (just takes some getting used to).

Hope that helps!
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:39 am

sorry guys but i see too often the title of the topic when i press new posts.I know comparison is a very good way for someone to see details and choose between 2 programs but pardon me this title is very underestimated for gms.I tried gms twice i dont like it and i bought c2 but maybe its just me who have the problem cause many popular games out there made by gms especially for ios and android, where c2+cjs have lack of success.So lets be more humble next time.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:06 am

@spy84

talk with my Java friend many times looks that:
- I have great results on Widdit... I will try Leviteo, they pay 5c for click... I'm just testing...
and my reply:
- WTF? You know that I'm using Construct 2 and I can get only simple ads, and recently even those sh*tty ads are not working for me
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:13 am

yes but c2+cjs is better than gms+gms..blah blah blah.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General