Construct 2 - most wanted

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:36 pm

Some of this may have been mentioned already.

-Improved stability. The program always feels a little fragile. The interface should be more responsive so it feels less so. An example is that the interface feels laggy when moving things around. Maybe it would help to use native Windows interface pieces? Another example: the event editor. Sometimes clicks don't register, or register as if you clicked somewhere else, and in general it just doesn't feel professional and almost makes you nervous that a wrong click is going to crash the program.

-Multiplatform support. Primarily I'd want support for Linux and Mac, but other platforms would be extremely nice (maybe the runtime should be easily portable so that more platforms could be developed?) I guess this would be mean the addition of other renderers like OpenGL.

-Maybe with the addition of other renderers as mentioned above C2 could do away with the need for that specific DirectX update? I find it really confuses casual users when they try to play things I make. (For instance, they insist that since they bought their computer after August 2008, it should already be updated)

-A better control system. Integrate the Xbox controller plugin to the main control system, add support for other joysticks and gamepads, and build in customization ala CustomControls.

-When a game displays fullscreen, there should be options to accommodate for widescreen monitors and the like. For instance, if a game is 4:3, the fullscreen resolution should be able to go to 16:9 so it doesn't appear stretched. Another example would be a game with a weird resolution-- if the monitor can't show that resolution, it should set it to one it can display and center the game in it. (For instance my game displays at 430x240, which is not a standard resolution-- I'd be fine if it could be centered in a 640x480 display or something) I know some people may say to do this with events, but there are many caveats involved in such a process that it's not worth it (for instance, it makes scrolling layers nearly impossible to do)

-The animation editor needs stabilized. It suffers from the same sort of issues as the main Construct UI regarding responsiveness. Also, there's the little filmstrip at the bottom, and you should be able to click back and forth through the frames using it instead of having to close out of the editor per frame. (I have a feeling it's supposed to do that right now, but it doesn't)

-Consolidation of all the audio options. You should be able to use whatever formats you want for music or audio. Additionally, the MOD plugin needs redone with a different, more accurate playback engine, which could then be added to the main audio plugin as well.

-Better support for application icons... I've noticed that you don't really get many options and sometimes it doesn't even save properly. Something more like MMF2 would be good, where you can make an icon for all the different sizes and color options.

-The debugger needs serious revamping. It is extremely unusable. At the very least, you should be able to sort the objects A-Z, because when you have a larger game with tons of objects it becomes a real pain in the ass to scroll up and down the list trying to find the object you want to debug.

Maybe more things if I think about them.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:57 pm

I think it is better to add this on the new construct :

-Bones support
-Exportation on many platform (Mac,linux,window,Xbox360,Window phone, Iphone,NDS and flash)
-Shadow and light support
-Bump map support (2D)
-History support (just like photoshop to go back from the mistake)
-Editing the game in real time
-Video Suppport
-2D Parallax Occlusion Mapping (Parallax Occlusion Mapping gives the illusion of a 2d/Flat surface appearing 3d)
-2D heightmap
-2D Occlusion Culling
-2D shockwave effect
-POssibly scripting in Javascript/Lua/python/Action script/basic
-Video playback
-Camera movements
-Multiplane camera if Construct 2 have some 3D feature
-Tweening of all layer
-Conversion graphic or file
-Normal Map
-Reflection mapping
-Screen Space Ambient Occlusion
-Built-in Lightmapping and Global illumination
-Scalable multiprocessor support
-Full unicode support
-Simple and easy to use OOP classes
-Full custom shader support for special effects
-Point sprite, billboard, and minimesh particles can be mixed in one particle system
-Antialiasing and anisotropic filtering up to 16x supported
-Multiple adapter support, with full enumeration of devices and supported rendering modes
-Package that contain script ready for any kind of game (platform,rpg..etc), it mean to be handy and gain some time on dev.
-Better Protection (128+bit encryption)
-Sound system (Digital Dolby, EAX)?

will Construct 2 still be Open-source or Freeware?
B
G

Post » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:12 pm

there is already heightmap and bumpmap support
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 pm

I think with multi-platform support and stability would be enough.
And an option for tile based background editor like 'Tiled' or RPG Maker :D
B
G

Post » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:45 pm

-An update to the video functionality - option to have or not have the timeline bar visible in videos. Plus, support for all the major/popular video formats.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:18 pm

This is pretty small, and maybe it's already in Construct, but for me it would be nice if there was some way to do templates. More specifically, every time i click "create new game" i pretty much always want the same set up. So, some way to save a "default.cap" that the game will always boot up when i make a new game.
B
G

Post » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:00 am

[quote="Candy":24qlpn9s]I think it is better to add this on the new construct :
.........[/quote:24qlpn9s]

A few of the things you request are already available, like Python scripting.

[quote="Candy":24qlpn9s]will Construct 2 still be Open-source or Freeware?[/quote:24qlpn9s]
I don't believe it's going to be either.

Krush.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:46 am

many of the things Candy mentioned are already possible / make no sense in 2d
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:34 am

[quote="KrushBrother":6r195bs6]
[quote="Candy":6r195bs6]will Construct 2 still be Open-source or Freeware?[/quote:6r195bs6]
I don't believe it's going to be either.
[/quote:6r195bs6]
A statement in the russian interview from Ashley said otherwise. There will be a free version of Construct 2 (something like that - Google translator is horrible)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:21 am

[quote="QuaziGNRLnose":9s3v2vrv]many of the things Candy mentioned are already possible / make no sense in 2d[/quote:9s3v2vrv]
There is some of them that can be possibly made in 2D if you search on youtube :) , but it is too much from what i am asking ^^"

[quote="tulamide ":9s3v2vrv]A statement in the russian interview from Ashley said otherwise. There will be a free version of Construct 2 (something like that - Google translator is horrible)[/quote:9s3v2vrv]

I hope it is not going to be a shareware or making us pay a cheap price :cry: , if that was the case there will be many people leaving or unable to used :/. But Freeware is way possible because the difference between Freeware and open-source is the fact you can use for free only for no commercial purpose or limited on function like game maker lite, if it is open-source like the actual construct is way fine but... i fear most is that one day construct 2 may be possibly been buying by a compagny like clickteam and can most likely become a closedsource....(just like sculptris of drpetter)
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General