Construct 2 - most wanted

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:00 am

Universal Gamepad support. This is like a must.

Resolution Support. With options that go every which way. Again, should be basic functionality.

Loading of Objects/Layouts/Scripts. Fun stuff. Like for loading say, characters in a fighting game or something. Or to load bonus content. Or whatever. Maybe a way to 'sign' files so people can't replace them easily with dummies?

Being able to script as text. I'd really like this one as many tasks would be easier as quick copy and pastes or 'replace all' edits. I know the graphical editor tries to do some of this but it never quite works. Being able to switch from graphical view to text view would rule.

Palette Support. Come on, we're using PNGs. I understand theres some headaches with the sprites being 2d planes in a 3d space, but that shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Multiplatform of course.

Creatable data structures for storing sprites, sounds and the like in descrete little files instead of having a blown open directory laden with spoilers and cheat potential. Also good for working on the same project with multiple people.

Theres a few other things I'd like (the aiblity to define several collosion masks for example per frame, or more advanced 3d support for backgrounds and effects), but this is the stuff I think is the most important.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:39 pm

[quote:3h61ncpd]Being able to script as text. I'd really like this one as many tasks would be easier as quick copy and pastes or 'replace all' edits. I know the graphical editor tries to do some of this but it never quite works. Being able to switch from graphical view to text view would rule.[/quote:3h61ncpd]

Never heard this idea before, but it sounds fantastic!
B
S
G

Post » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:20 pm

It sounds like the scripting system in Engine001.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:48 am

This is just my 2-cents but:

Run-time Object, Layer, Event Sheet Loading: I'm not sure if any of you have heard of a fighting game engine called MUGEN (Most people tend to think it's just a game). MUGEN is rather famous on youtube because was centered on custom content, from characters and levels, to even GUI modifications. Almost everything the game was, was user created. Anyway my idea is the ability to not only export entire games through construct, to export individual frames, event sheets, and objects which could be loaded at runtime through an event kinda like this.

(At Character Select Screen)
Check {Directory}
For every .char file
>Add File Name to Ingame List

(At Fight)
Start of Frame
>Load Object from {Directory}/{player1char.char}
>Load Object from {Directory}/{player2char.char}

And something similar could be done with frames, although those would have to be loaded at the end of the last frame.

And on a secondary note, this would also be nice for the editor. Loading individual frames, objects, and even sheets.

Event Sheets included with Objects: This might just be my past experiences with MMF2, but I do think this might be a decent idea. MMF2 allowed a feature that let you have event sheets in objects. The feature however was borderline broken last I checked, most of it's usefulness was eliminated by the fact you couldn't include qualifiers (families). If something similar to this were included and did allow families, it would make coding for very object based games alot easier.

I guess this would kinda go with the previous one though.

3D:I know I'm gonna get flack for this; but basic 3D camera movement, collision, animation, and maybe even hopefully lighting would be quite nice if possible by 2.0. And it's not like any progress hasn't already been made toward it, construct can already use 3D models (And boxes for awhile), collision and camera are (Somewhat) fake-able at this point, and I do believe I've seen 3D lighting at work somewhere on the site (Or something close, correct me if I'm wrong) and construct isn't even at 1.0 yet.

Of course Construct has gotten this far, who knows where it'll be when Construct 2 is out.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:12 am

[quote="MrMiller":37z8mzwt]I don't know if this one is in any of the newer versions past .62, but...

-Option for exact duplication of a layout, including all events and objects - sometimes you want a layout that's exactly like the one you've already made but with minor differences, and recopying code is inefficient and time-consuming if you have a number of events in the layout you're duplicating.

This feature is badly needed. There should at least an option to include or not include all events in the duplication.[/quote:37z8mzwt]

MrMiller, I believe that option is already there. Right click your layout and select "Clone Layout". Should do the trick.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:19 am

Import and export, so I can copy my lovely modularized event sheets between applications!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:03 am

This is what I'd want to see:

1. Better and more flexible save file feature.
I mean, I find the current save file feature to be buggy. I haven't really tested it in 0.92 though.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:20 am

[quote="cow_trix":16m4h31v]
MrMiller, I believe that option is already there. Right click your layout and select "Clone Layout". Should do the trick.[/quote:16m4h31v]

Yes I know, but It doesn't copy the events automatically. But the real issue is that certain code seems to break upon duplication, so even when you copy the code exactly to the duplicated layout it tends not to all work properly. According to others it tends to be the global variable that breaks, that's been my experience with it as well.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:49 am

I'm looking forward to use (in either Construct 1 or 2):
- multiplayer over Internet
- multiplatform (android)
- if possible, possibility to use it on playstation network/xbox live
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:21 am

Support for Linux, if you have to choose then the most popular being Ubuntu.

So some sort of OpenGL runtime is a must i'm guessing.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General