Construct 2 on a Macbook?

Discussion of tools and resources for game developers

Post » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:06 pm

I'm using a macbook air 13 for everyday use, i see myself as a real critic when it is about weight of my laptop... I personally think 11 is too small, i've had 12.3 laptop too but wanted something a bit bigger but not larger than 13, so the macbook air 13" was the perfect choice for me. You should consider upgrading to i7 and 8gb ram, it is well worth it. I try to avoid using virtual machines and or bootcamp, instead i'm reporting bugs, testing and try to make Construct 2 work in wine. I'm still hoping that Scirra one day will hire more employees and make a mac port or get support from wine developers and make it work efficiently.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:47 pm

Construct 2 is only supported on windows. Its IDE is designed for windows and I don't think there is any plans to change this. If you are buying a new machine specifically for Construct 2 development it seems daft to buy something that is not supported.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:09 pm

My use case:

I am a high school teacher first and an iOS/web developer second. Last school year I carried around a 6.5-pound Windows laptop for school use and Construct 2 development, an 11" Macbook Air for web and iOS development, and an iPad for lectures and activities. I rotate between six different rooms throughout the day, and lugging all three devices plus several classes worth of papers was cumbersome and prone to spills.

In addition, I spend a lot of time walking around the classroom with a device in one hand so I have the other hand free to write and gesture. This was fine for the Macbook Air and the iPad, but very difficult to do with the Windows laptop.

Being able to do almost everything (except run iOS apps) from my laptop is a godsend. I am looking forward to a much easier time next year.

As far as screen size goes, the 11" Macbook Air has the exact same resolution as the various Windows laptops I have been using, so no big difference there. We have released several iOS apps, including one with massive storyboards and over 1000 source code files, all done on the 11" Air. There were a few times in the past few years that I wished I had a larger screen, but both xcode and Construct 2 have great zoom features that make 1366 x 768 completely usable.

In summary:

After several weeks running Construct 2 in Virtualbox I am completely satisfied. Its portability makes for a way more pleasant working experience than either of my Windows laptops (13" and 17"). The only things that drive me a little crazy right now are the Mac version of MS Word and MS Excel, but I suppose I will get used to them.
www.simbucket.com - HTML5 Science Simulations / https://www.airconsole.com/#!play=com.n ... obotrumble - Robot Rumble on AirConsole
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Tools and Resources