Construct 2 on Mac OS X via VMWARE Fusion 5

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:12 pm

UPDATE: 14 Nov 2013
No problems with acceleration anymore after upgrade to Fusion6.
MacOS. Mavericks
Windos 8 / Chrome

We all know about common problem which is caused by graphic card drivers.
If you are having a problem with making Construct work perfectly on your Mac (from 2012 up - fairly new graphic cards) this topic may help you.

Software: VMWare Fusion 5 / 5 Pro, Windows 7 32bit or 64bit
OSx 10.8.2 Mountain Lion

Symptoms:
You can instal & run Construct however any try of new / open file results in crash of windows and reboot.

Depending if installation of java is involved you may get endless error popups resulting in lunching Construct with all menu items called [missing]

Solution:

Step 1
VMware doesn't and can not use dedicated graphic card driver (technically not possible - more about it http://goo.gl/7aL35 ). The other words, you can not instal latest driver downloaded from manufacture website. Instead of it, system chooses automatically 1 of 4 drivers provided by VMWare.

So we end up with wrong drive and no option to update - looks like the end and lost money :)
Not necessarily - the solution may be to downgrade a driver and as Construct uses only 2D we actually do not need 3D acceleration.

Switch off 3D acceleration

Luckily enough VMWare offers option to switch it off which helped.

@Joannesalfa rightly pointed out that with 3D acceleration switched off, WebGL effects and blend modes won't work - which unfortunately I find correct, however that is nto a problem :)

Step 2- only if you want to run WebGL project
We will do the trick - will publish html5 straight to mac apache server / Web sharing server folder (seamless installation needs to be made in VMWare)

Well, there is one problem, the reason I need to make all this changes is due the fact I have new mac / new graphic card etc and of course I am running new Mac OS Mountain Lion, which doen't have option to switch apache server / Web Sharing anymore.

Conveniently Apple left apache server in the system so:
1. go to Macintosh HD/Users/USERNAME in my case greg (username is below the icon with house and create folder Sites
2. go to this url http://clickontyler.com/blog/2012/02/web-sharing-mountain-lion/ and download http://amz.clickontyler.com/WebSharing.dmg install it and you should get new icon at the bottom in Other (next to Growl)

Switch the web sharing on

After short while, you will notice that Sites folder did gain the safari emboss on it, that a good sign :)
If you copy any index.html to this folder and go to in browser to http://localhost/~greg/ (replace greg with your username) yo should be up and running

now back to construct to setup the publishing to our Sites folder

first export (run layout won't work)

select html

and select the Sites folder on your mac

(you may need to instal java)

Then go back to you mac browser and hit http://localhost/~greg/ (server needs few seconds between refreshes so don't be fooled if you won't see the changes immediately )

there you go
WebGL working

I can enjoy my Personal Edition, which I wish to all Mac users.
All Best
Greg

p.s. I see it coming - some will ask now about exporting to other systems and I won't know the answer but will definitely come back to it when I am on it or maybe I won't if Ashley will implement the generic WMVare graphic driver into Construct :))) if it's even possible.

p.s. You may missed a link in text - I can not post links as I do not have enough score :) not sure if my personal edition is already included in my score :)pencilrebel2013-11-14 21:43:26
B
S

Post » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:05 am

If you switch off 3D acceleration, are you able to view the sprites with images?

Yes, i am mac user
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:48 am

Hi @Joannesalfa, good point, 2 demos work without problem (if it helps) however if you would like to send me specific source file and I can test and confirm. pencilrebel2013-01-24 11:51:05
B
S

Post » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:11 pm

There is a bunch of demos and examples in C2 when you create new one, you may notice when you apply WebGL effects and blend modes.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:44 pm

Another thing to pay attention to in VMWare is when creating VM's usually the default settings for Graphics Memory, etc... are set pretty low. You may want to change the settings for the VMs to have more than the minimum specs for graphics... just a thought.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:57 pm

@BluePhaze - I have 2GB assigned, no setting for graphic card.
@Joannesalfa - WebGL doesn't work but looks like it is not a massive problem when exporting to web :) I updated the top postpencilrebel2013-01-24 23:35:41
B
S

Post » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:41 pm

UPDATE: No problems with acceleration anymore after upgrade to Fusion6.pencilrebel2013-11-14 21:43:38
B
S

Return to Construct 2 General