Construct 2 - Only A Toy?

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:00 pm

I have to say that there are some frustrating aspects to working with c2 (performance of html5 when wrapped on most mobiles, limited physics engine - these are my least favorite aspects of the engine). However, the editor is fantastic and, if you don't have the time or aptitude to learn to write in a programming language, c2 is empowering. I don't accept your point about it maybe being a toy - a phrase about workmen and tools comes to mind.

So, I take it from your post that you are concerned about webstorage being deprecated? Why not just copy the webstorage plugin, keep it safe and, if necessary, re-add it to c2 if scirra decide to remove it completely?

As I understand it, the webstorage plugin was deprecated only because the chrome store no longer permits the use of that api - so blaming scirra for its removal is somewhat misguided. If you're selling on the google store - exporting for android - how many of your players are really going to care if their local-to-their-phone high score is removed by an update to your free-to-play game? See the point about copying the webstorage plugin if you think it's really a problem...
I only occasionally visit - I'm learning C# for Unity, but c2 is still a respectable game engine imo....
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:45 pm

Sisyphus wrote:
Elliott wrote:The closest I can think of is experimental features like 30FPS mode, which never saw a stable release..

The new "Set minimum framerate" action? Is it so bad?

No, another feature that capped the max framerate to 30 fps for more stability (easier to reach), it just did not work at all and was removed rapidly after.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:04 pm

Mr X wrote:I might sound harsh, but I'm truly disappointed with the whole picture so to speak, of Construct 2.

You are entitled to your viewpoint.
But, disappointment comes from 2 things:
(1) The inability to use the tool.
(2) The realization that it is limited.

Note: Number 2, can only be used by users who have mastered the tool. In all honesty there really isn't much C2 can't do within the scope of what it was built for. It can go head to head with many products currently on the market. I own most of them, and this "toy" is pretty top notch.

I understand where you are coming from, I have my own disappointments, but your disappointment I feel is more from an inability to use the tool, whilst mine are limitations outside of the scope of which construct was intended for.
You think you can do these things, but you can't, Nemo!
Just keep reading.
Just keep learning.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:10 pm

Like with everything,there are pros and cons to c2. Quite a few things I'd change and improve if i could, but once you know how to use it efficiently, you can come up with creative ways of doing things in it, otherwise you'd think are impossible.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:45 pm

Im new to construct and just with basic logic im already building a pretty good tower defence game, and i dont even have 2 month in this program... i can tell you that this thing has a lot potential.
B
S

Post » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:53 pm

Oh god another one of these threads.. You seriously need to find counters to your limitations with C2. Check some of the third party plugins if Construct 2 can't do something you want. Hell, write your own plugins. Yes, I agree it would be nice to have native mobile support with C2, but be thankful for what it currently has. It's not impossible to make money with C2. I'm about to hit that $5,000 mark soon with C2 and I will invest in that Business License.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:37 pm

They're all toys till you make something.
Advice: op, practice, and don't buy any guns.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:46 am

If you know what you're doing then it's not a toy, but it's unfortunately being advertised as a toy.
Last edited by nemo on Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:35 am

It's not a Toy, it's a tool. Just like every video-game development engine it has it's flaws. The most basic flaw is probably the performance on mobiles. But guess what? IT'S ALREADY BEEN SAID SO MANY TIMES. The main reason someone will have a bad time on mobile in the beginning is because they haven't done their homework, on how to develop games for mobile using C2. Using physics? You're gonna have to be frugal, other than that though, it's been quite great for me.

Changes? I don't think there have been MAJOR changes, to the point where someone has to re-build their entire project. Everyone in this thread isn't against you btw, we're merely trying to inform you.
Risk Rocket now available on Google Play
B
S
G

Post » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:33 pm

I'm using C2 for years now and I can verify that this is no toy. It's a complex tool. Sure, it has it's issues and it takes some time to get used to, but in my opinion it's worth it. It's the best visual programming engine (using event sheets) on the market right now. Since it's based on HTML5 we can expect some changes regarding the development of our games, but Scirra does it's best to make it nearly unnoticable for developers.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General