Construct 2 - platform poll

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:17 am

Mac/linux/windows all I care about, the greatest hardware for gaming is obviously the computer.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:24 am

Have to go with web for the sole reason that it can potentially be played on virtually any platform with a capable browser.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:55 am

how is web browser not completely running away with the vote is beyond me. It may be tougher to implement than some of the other choices, but I took this poll more as a wish list than vote for which you want the most whilst bearing in mind which is the most plausible.

Messaging somebody online with "Hey wanna check out my new game, *link to game playable in browser*" how could anybody not find that completely awesome. In this modern age, less and less people are likely to download and install a lesser known indie game.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:29 am

[quote="L5j":2vt3ah5g]how is web browser not completely running away with the vote is beyond me. It may be tougher to implement than some of the other choices, but I took this poll more as a wish list than vote for which you want the most whilst bearing in mind which is the most plausible.

Messaging somebody online with "Hey wanna check out my new game, *link to game playable in browser*" how could anybody not find that completely awesome. In this modern age, less and less people are likely to download and install a lesser known indie game.[/quote:2vt3ah5g]

1. There's no way to make it compliant for every browser.
2. Probably no hardware acceleration.
3. Multi-player is impractical.
4. Not everybody wants to make "casual" games. In other words you cant just message somebody online with "Hey wanna check out my new game, *link to game playable in browser*", btw that will be fitty bucks.
5. Java, need I say more?
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:23 am

I hope it would be flash but I doubt it would be.
So next I hope it's java.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:23 am

Hmm Consoles dont get much vote. I guess its because we all know that consoles evolve from time to time. Which means, developers might not support the PS2/3, Xbox or any other consoles they have in the future which is due to having a new better one being sold in the market.

Besides, if its commercial we're talking about, if you take a look at the "black market", there are a lot of downloadable consoles games there. So this could happen to us too.

But for me, I'd go for the web browser or the phone. Phones are cute :P.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:43 am

Can I recast my vote? I voted for a web browser platform, but after reading the opinions of the other members, I am thinking of favoring the Android platform.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:45 am

bit off topic but did someone played with mmf2 recently? they already can publish games to java (works quite nice) and they released something called swf exporter, and i'm wondering how its working - anyone try that already?
ImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:56 am

If you port it to Linux, you can pretty much run it on any device that linux has been installed on (phones, consoles, computers, cameras, pda's, etc).

In terms of web game creation, I think it would be a nice feature, but very hard to sell if you were to try and make your game commercial. However, if the games are exported in Java, they could potentially work on most phone devices (even the IPhone, if you jailbreak it you get the features that "Apple is too good for").
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (maybe)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:08 pm

Hmm.

So, as it stands, the top 3 look like this:

[color=#BF0000:2287ewjr]Web Browser
Mac/Linux
Console
[/color:2287ewjr]

Apart from the Console option, there's not a lot there for commercial use.
I suppose it comes down to what the Dev's ambitions for Construct 2 are.
If it's similar to what MMF2 seem to aim for, then maybe the Web browser option will do.

If, however, they want to cater to both casual game makers and Indie devs on a more professional level, then I think it's important that they future-proof Construct 2 as much as possible.
The Mac will always be there, XNA technology will no doubt be utilised in the next version of the XBox, and both Android and iPhone are very important.

Although it might be more work than they envisaged, if the Devs want Construct to be taken seriously, I really think they should consider including the following out of the box:

Web Browser or Flash
Mac
Android
iPhone
Xna/Xbox

Unfortunately, if the poll is anything to go by, this isn't going to happen, and looks less likely that Construct 2 will be for me.

Which is a shame, because Construct is by far my favourite R.A.D tool.
While tools like Stencyl and App Inventor will no doubt get better, currently, Construct has a huge lead over them (Qualifier: I beta test both) and should take that on-board when planning Construct 2.

Krush.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion