Construct 2 - platform poll

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:25 pm

XBLA isn't very open, but AFAIK XBL Indie Games is. That section isn't frequented by nearly as many people, tho.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:10 pm

[quote="Ashley":209fe6q9]Are console makers these days pretty open about having indie games submitted? Last I heard, for example, the XBox Live Arcade were increasing the strictness of the standards required of submitted games. I don't have any consoles so I'm not really up to date on what the latest is though. I'm just worried since console makers don't have a clear path to profit from indie games on their consoles, and they risk the reputation of the platform if there are loads of "junk games", they might not be so keen on having a lot of indie game submissions from a package like Construct.

The internet is a much more open platform not at the mercy of any particular vendor - that's why I think it might be a better choice.[/quote:209fe6q9]
Really? One of Microsoft's biggest aims for the 360 was to promote Indie developers. They created the XNA Creator's Club, allow any games to be sold on the Marketplace through the dedicated Indie section (provided they pass peer review to check the game is stable and free of distasteful content), promote the higher reviewed Indie games on the live service, and even offer a $40'000 prize every year for the best Indie game created in their annual Dream.Build.Play contest.

I'm not up to date on the Sony side of things, but the 360 is the ideal platform for Indie games. heavily encouraged and supported by Microsoft, and with such a high install base... it would be a huge plus for Construct in the eyes of Indie developers. I would happily pay a licence fee for a 360 porting service from Construct too. It's more than worth the money.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:44 pm

I chose iPhone and iPod Touch because I want to make money. I can make a very simple game and put it on the apple store, if it sells I can make some extra cash. The XNA/PSN one was my second choice.
B
G

Post » Fri Sep 24, 2010 11:51 pm

[quote="Ashley":17aujnuy]Are console makers these days pretty open about having indie games submitted? Last I heard, for example, the XBox Live Arcade were increasing the strictness of the standards required of submitted games. I don't have any consoles so I'm not really up to date on what the latest is though. I'm just worried since console makers don't have a clear path to profit from indie games on their consoles, and they risk the reputation of the platform if there are loads of "junk games", they might not be so keen on having a lot of indie game submissions from a package like Construct.
The internet is a much more open platform not at the mercy of any particular vendor - that's why I think it might be a better choice.[/quote:17aujnuy]

Nah. Microsoft wants more content for XBLIG (XBOX Live Indie Game) BADLY, believe me, and they continue to do as much as they can to encourage it. Indie's are indeed making money there, and the higher sellers have made quite a bit.

The highest selling game on XBLIG is something an experienced event programmer could make in Construct in an afternoon or a few give or take. But, programming in xna is time-consuming and the learning curve is enormous if you're not a language programmer, so there isn't nearly as much content as there could be. That's why Construct should be going this way because it addresses that need for more content and allows indie devs to get on consoles.

In a hierarchy of 1 to 10 (1 highest, 10 lowest), I'd say it's:

1. Internet-based (Flash, Java)
2. xna (though I'd want an xna export first, Flash clearly has the biggest reach).
3. Phones
4-9. Anything you can think of.
10. Mac

... 20. Linux

Yep, 10 and 20 are that low on purpose :)

There is a game maker called the Express Game maker (I think it's been mentioned once already) about to launch next Friday. It allows you to export xna. Thing is, just like MMF, Construct's event system is WAY better than EGM's. Construct's is the most layman, the most practical, it's easy to learn, it flows well. C# is here to stay and it's only going to keep growing as Microsoft continues to create more platforms that make use of it. I really feel like the game creation software that doesn't get on board with it is going to be left in the dust while they're preoccupied with jumping on small markets (Mac) or teeny-weeny-tiny markets (Linux) or platforms that will be obsolete in a few years (various phones), instead of looking at long-term growth in area's that are not only expanding but built to stand the test of time (C#/xna).
B
G

Post » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:43 am

I think the right decision will be the consoles.
At this moment games in a web browser is too limited (user need remain connected to the Internet while playing etc.). Also on the PC high level of piracy. For independent commercial projects only consoles.
B
G

Post » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:54 am

Agreed with the recent few posts.

If Microsoft's market strategy chose supporting the 360, they must have made their decision on very solid grounds, enermous reasearch must have went into it. They must forsee the market flows more clearly than us, I think, so imitating their plans wouldn't be adverse for small-scale companies.

As for the future customer base of Construct, sooner or later it will be the favourite choice of indie game developers, I think. And their purpose will be to port their products to best-selling and most wide-spread platforms. If Construct can help them in achieving their aim, then they're more likely to vote for Construct, and support it. It is all about the benefit of economies of scale, I think.

And about the representativeness of this poll:
Current poll's many votes for Linux / Mac must have derived from hobbyists I think, who prefer comfort to long-term plans. But would they fund Construct as well as the real wage-earner indies?
B
G

Post » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:40 am

@ldmn

I think the devs are planning to make at least two ports. Definitely one for PC, and one for Linux.
As you mentioned Linux is more of a hobbyist's platform, and therefore has a huge amount of tools available for an indie to use for development. Keep in mind I'm talking about the program itself, not just for games. It just so happens though that a port to Linux will probably mean you will be able to produce games that will run on it.

I suppose the topic of the thread should have said "What platforms do you want Construct2 to run on, and what platforms do you want to be able to export to?"

Obviously you cant run C2 on consoles, or xbla, and a browser.... that's just scary.
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:50 am

Thanx Newt,

of course ( my bad English)!
I wanted to say exporting games to 360, not running Construct on them.
B
G

Post » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:27 am

[quote="newt":3mppyow0]
I suppose the topic of the thread should have said "What platforms do you want Construct2 to run on, and what platforms do you want to be able to export to?"

Obviously you cant run C2 on consoles, or xbla, and a browser.... that's just scary.[/quote:3mppyow0]
Oh of course, that's the line of thought we're all on. The title of the poll is what platform do you want your games to run, not what platform do you want Construct to run on. So I'm assuming this is regarding porting ability first and foremost.

If Construct is looking to grow and establish itself as one of the best, if not the best, Indie game development engine, then porting to consoles is an essential tool to provide. Torque is another engine that can provide this feature, as well as porting to Wii and iPhone, but charges between $100 - $1,500 depending on the number of porting licenses you're after.

If Construct could start offering these porting capabilities too, then they can charge a competitive rate and share that market. I would happily pay for a license in order to port my games, and wouldn't expect those licenses to be free, even if the engine itself remains free-to-use.

EDIT: Look at what has just been posted on Kotaku: [url:3mppyow0]http://kotaku.com/5647455/xbox-live-indie-clips-radiangames-inferno[/url:3mppyow0] Xbox Live Indie games get a lot of press when they're made well. :D
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:41 pm

[quote="-Silver-":2gwekkh6]
If Construct is looking to grow and establish itself as one of the best, if not the best, Indie game development engine, then porting to consoles is an essential tool to provide. Torque is another engine that can provide this feature, as well as porting to Wii and iPhone, but charges between $100 - $1,500 depending on the number of porting licenses you're after.[/quote:2gwekkh6]

But I think with Torque (if I'm not mistaken), you still have to know C# to make anything decent.

[quote="-Silver-":2gwekkh6]If Construct could start offering these porting capabilities too, then they can charge a competitive rate and share that market. I would happily pay for a license in order to port my games, and wouldn't expect those licenses to be free, even if the engine itself remains free-to-use.[/quote:2gwekkh6]

Agreed! I would gladly pay. As long as they allow me to do everything with events like I can now and not have to write in a language. I'd pay top dollar for that.

[quote="-Silver-":2gwekkh6]EDIT: Look at what has just been posted on Kotaku: [url:2gwekkh6]http://kotaku.com/5647455/xbox-live-indie-clips-radiangames-inferno[/url:2gwekkh6] Xbox Live Indie games get a lot of press when they're made well. :D[/quote:2gwekkh6]

That game is going to do well and it's priced to move.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion