Construct 2 - platform poll

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:54 pm

4) maybe not most, but me personally, though I don't consider myself to have a lot of money to throw away I would definitely invest in the $1300 or $3000(can't remember which) ps3 dev kit if it was required to publish a ps3 game if I had completed a working windows version
5) of course, unless xna continues to be supported
[quote="Trevor10":2mjjocpv]I hope somebody can bring some clarity to this for me. So far I am leaning towards Linux as many OSs are based on Linux (e.g Andriod); Linux can be installed on many devices (e.g. PS2/3, DS); and most web servers are running Linux. All of which I'm thinking will make running games on a wide variety of platforms easier, also there are no licensing issues.[/quote:2mjjocpv]
I don't think a general linux exporter will work for android, it has it's own specialized version of linux, so you can't just install a linux program on it. ps3 no longer allows linux to be installed, and a game doesn't have to run on linux for it to use linux servers
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:50 pm

You don't need licensing rights to put a game on XBOX Live Indie Games. All that's required is a membership to the Creators Club, and xna. You would need rights to put a game on XBOX Live Arcade, however (XBLIG and XBLA are two separate channels). But technically, you wouldn't be dealing as just an Indie anymore in that case, because you'd be published by either Microsoft or by another known publishing entity.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:42 am

[quote:2j0wc6oq]Linux is the only other viable platform to run the development tools on... other than Apple.
That's one of the reasons it should be given higher priority.
Plus you need to remember the devs are only thinking of having one other non os to export to.
Bringing in Linux's user base might actually help to get some of the other formats ported.[/quote:2j0wc6oq]

that's my point, instead of first focusing on new runtimes the devs should focus on making the software itself crossplatform, so that linux users can join, they could also help in porting it to other platforms. Making software crossplatform has a positive impact on the public, why GameSalad is not that popular?? because it's Mac only.

[quote:2j0wc6oq]
The thing that I worry about is that setting up for an export is almost like reinventing the wheel.
We have two dev's with no pay. Only a pat on the back, and few donations here and there.

Ash mentioned something about a pay version... perhaps these versions that have export to other platforms should be the ones people pay for.[/quote:2j0wc6oq]

That's the biggest factor, maybe making people pay for the Xbox export will be nice, and charging some fee for making a commercial game from Construct.
B
S
G

Post » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:42 am

[quote="abhilash2863":1us26xvr]that's my point, instead of first focusing on new runtimes the devs should focus on making the software itself crossplatform, so that linux users can join, they could also help in porting it to other platforms. Making software crossplatform has a positive impact on the public, why GameSalad is not that popular?? because it's Mac only.[quote:1us26xvr]

While I understand that including Linux compatibility may open up some more development, the idea that there will be a big rush of Linux users jumping into it is purely speculation. Plus, if the devs want to make more money, the runtimes will get them there.

Indeed, Gamesalad is not that popular because it's Mac only, but not simply because it isn't cross-platform... it's just the platform it's on doesn't have as many users as PC. If it were PC only it would probably be much bigger and not being cross-platform would be irrelevant.

[quote="abhilash2863":1us26xvr]That's the biggest factor, maybe making people pay for the Xbox export will be nice, and charging some fee for making a commercial game from Construct.[/quote:1us26xvr][/quote:1us26xvr][/quote:1us26xvr]

I'm all for charging to purchase the export, but they should leave commercial game fees alone. I've always looked at that sort of stuff as bush league and greed. It just flies in the face of the indie spirit and what it means to help people get to the next level. Besides, any indie that brings a game to market is already going to have to endure enough fees from the digital or physical distributor and every other palm that needs to be greased.
B
G

Post » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:00 am

I think the main factors are 2:
- optimization of development time
- audience reached (possibly oriented to buy games/apps)

So, I'd say the best routes to follow are:

1) DirectX runtime -> PC and Xbox
2) Macos runtime -> Mac/iPhone/iPad/iYoursister/ecc.

Secondarly, i say Android: still far more revenues on Apple Store, but the market share is growing bigger and bigger.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:14 am

First and foremost I think other OS's are the most important. Browser games would be a really nice perk but they're not commercially viable (well, Flash is if you get sponsored or find some kind of kick-ass ad revenue sharing). Plus, there are already sites like Game Jolt where you can launch your games through a web player and such.

If I had a second choice though I'd go with one of the smart-phone options, either iPhone or Android. PC/Mac and smart-phone sales are where people are going to (potentially) be making money. But that would also mean adding multi-touch and accelerometer functionality to C2.

As for consoles... I dunno, I see XBLIG as kind of a dead end, honestly. Sure, a few people have made some money here and there, but indie console publishing doesn't have anywhere near the potential of smart phones or PC's.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:16 am

I think if we had to choose between App Store and Android I'd say Construct would rule on Android, simply because there's less competition on Android and 90% of the games are super bad, as opposed to the iphone which has quite a high amount of good games, so I think if you bring out a decent game on Android especially one that looks nice then you're gonna have a bigger voice than you would releasing the same game on the iPhone.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:50 pm

Well, if you want to sell your game and you don't have access to Android or iPhone or consoles or whatever, it's not out of the question to try Steam, which already supports Mac as well as Windows. Games like Saira, VVVVV and Eversion (the higher-res version) are on there, it's just a matter of convincing Valve that your game is good enough to put on the store. Though, I wonder how one would integrate Steamworks with Construct-made games, however... Though, if Nifflas could do it with Saira (which I think is an MMF2 game... I'm not sure, though)...

Though, there's plenty of avenues to sell one's games, the challenge is getting it noticed.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:43 pm

[quote="deadeye":1y346f1n]First and foremost I think other OS's are the most important. Browser games would be a really nice perk but they're not commercially viable (well, Flash is if you get sponsored or find some kind of kick-ass ad revenue sharing). Plus, there are already sites like Game Jolt where you can launch your games through a web player and such.

If I had a second choice though I'd go with one of the smart-phone options, either iPhone or Android. PC/Mac and smart-phone sales are where people are going to (potentially) be making money. But that would also mean adding multi-touch and accelerometer functionality to C2.

As for consoles... I dunno, I see XBLIG as kind of a dead end, honestly. Sure, a few people have made some money here and there, but indie console publishing doesn't have anywhere near the potential of smart phones or PC's.[/quote:1y346f1n]

But C# is not a deadend. With xna you can put out games for 360, Zune, Windows, and Windows Phone. The key to making money is making a game that gives the market what they want, and you can fail on the Apple store or Android or anywhere else if you make a bad game that doesn't work with the market. The games that made it on XBLIG gave people what they wanted, even simple stuff like the Rumble Massage program.
B
G

Post » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:43 pm

[quote="deadeye":37r07409]
As for consoles... I dunno, I see XBLIG as kind of a dead end, honestly. Sure, a few people have made some money here and there, but indie console publishing doesn't have anywhere near the potential of smart phones or PC's.[/quote:37r07409]

I wonder why you see XBLIG and consoles market a dead end, in comparision to smart phones or PCs.
Recent few dozen posts were debating on that topic. :?
-Consoles are so widespread according to some news, it is a broader market possibility!
-PCs: why would we need another OS? Being open source already grants many goodies.
B
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion