Construct 2 - platform poll

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:45 pm

Dunno about the rest of you, but I'm leaning more to a XNA port... for a couple of reasons.
XNA is made for gaming so the port itself should be easier, as the devs would simply be converting it, instead of creating code.
Then there's performance. Again since it's made for games, getting features we already have should be a lot easier.

Now on the other hand it looks like a lot of people are leaning towards Android, mostly since its made from a Linux kernel.
But, would the games run on C, or Java (Dalvik), and what features would be expected?
Obviously not speed....
Then how hard would the port be for that since there's probably not a lot of existing game development?

Perhaps the Android port should be left for some third party to do.
I say that after finding out about the Android Developer Challenge.
[url:3qb4tk1p]http://code.google.com/android/adc/[/url:3qb4tk1p]
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:57 am

[quote="newt":1ovwq2kp]Dunno about the rest of you, but I'm leaning more to a XNA port... for a couple of reasons.
XNA is made for gaming so the port itself should be easier, as the devs would simply be converting it, instead of creating code.
Then there's performance. Again since it's made for games, getting features we already have should be a lot easier.

Now on the other hand it looks like a lot of people are leaning towards Android, mostly since its made from a Linux kernel.
But, would the games run on C, or Java (Dalvik), and what features would be expected?
Obviously not speed....
Then how hard would the port be for that since there's probably not a lot of existing game development?

Perhaps the Android port should be left for some third party to do.
I say that after finding out about the Android Developer Challenge.
[url:1ovwq2kp]http://code.google.com/android/adc/[/url:1ovwq2kp][/quote:1ovwq2kp]
Uhm.. I don't know where to begin here.

I.. umm....

It.... things just don't work like that. C is as fast as you can get today without going to ASM. Java is the exact opposite. Linux kernel is not as important as you would think (not as the use of OpenGL and other libs) and performance of XNA will NEVER match C, as XNA is based on C# which is managed code.

And "converting" code instead of "creating it".... that doesn't work like that either.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:41 am

Ok well, I'll put it this way.
Given the existing code base, and expected performance, which platform would be easier to port, to get the features we already have?
Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:54 am

[quote="namre":1pfrvln1]Can I recast my vote? I voted for a web browser platform, but after reading the opinions of the other members, I am thinking of favoring the Android platform.[/quote:1pfrvln1]

Perhaps same for me :) (or Linux/Mac). Even though Ashley told us to "choose carefully".
Problem is: I don't have the knowledge to make the best choice.

Perhaps, in an ideal situation, every choice should point out benefits and drawbacks.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:08 pm

I'm thinking Linux/Mac, but Android could be nice...hmm, I don't know.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:48 pm

It would be cool to have a browser plugin like Java or Unity, but ultimately the biggest obstacle to getting friends to try my stuff out is that they have a Mac.
B
G

Post » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:19 am

Actually, given the direction things are going right now, I believe web is a pretty damn good first choice (via canvas!).

After that... I'd still go for consoles >_<
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:05 am

I would prefer my games to be able to run in a browser, preferably using the new Canvas object in HTML 5.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:45 am

Well, I casted my vote for the iPhone which seems to have become the platform of choice for many indie developers and, actually, I think developing successful iPhone 2D games like NinJump, Hoggy or even Angry Birds, should be pretty straightforward in Construct!

Interestingly, GameMaker is also moving to the iPhone too...
Image Image Image
B
S
G

Post » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:06 am

Tried to reach a broader audiance for the poll at the Independent Gamers:
[url:21zwit12]http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=15263.0[/url:21zwit12]

Hope the poll was not copyrighted. Anyway it gave some interesting results, opinions.
B
G

Previous

Return to Construct Classic Discussion