Construct 2 - Realistic State after 1 gazilion downloads

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:16 am

Arima wrote:(music problems and such notwithstanding)

what kind of music problems are you referring to? start times? or something like syncing problems?
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:22 am

@Arima

That is a problem with CocoonJS, its lack of layout-by-layout memory management is a killer blow for large complex games.

I have not tried Ejecta for iOS but it apparently handles memory load better. For iOS we can only hope Ludei improve CocoonJS major weakness. For Android, Crosswalk is heaps better now, with the final major issue fixed: sound volume/controls!

Crosswalk only load into ram what you use on your layout, I use a lot of big animated sprites that's why my ram usage is so high. 250MB means it will run on most 512mb ram devices, that gives you only really ancient devices in which it cannot run, but even then, a native engine is not going to make it better when you have that much assets. Each 2048 x 2048 sprite sheet requires 16mb of ram regardless of how you do it, if you have a lot and they need multiple sheets...

Edit: I have no problem with demanding the device have 250MB of ram free. Most older stuff on the market have 512mb and can handle that. On iOS it gives you a memory warning but it wont crash unless you use beyond what it has free. I had to double check that and other devs say it specifically. Devices from 2 years ago come with 1gb of ram.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:51 am

@Silverforce, there's a difference between RAM and VRAM. Arima said the entire game is loaded into RAM but with layout-by-layout only the current layout is loaded into VRAM.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:01 am

There's no difference for mobiles as I am aware, they use the total system ram to load assets as it acts as a vram buffer as well (similar to iGPUs in Intel and AMD APU, reliant on system ram). Correct me if I am wrong though.

All I know is that with CocoonJS and the peak 450mb ram usage, it would not run on devices with 768MB of ram or less, but ran on devices with 1GB of ram.

With Crosswalk and the 250mb peak usage, it now runs on all the 512mb devices I have tested.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:13 am

Well whew, with all this discussion going about; I'm going to commit my next project to public progress. And to make everything interesting the game will primarily developed targeting Tegra2 device using CrossWalk compile.

Let's put the mobile performance matter to the test. I will let everyone know what I'm doing, how I'm going about it. I will also listen to peoples suggestions for performance and design improvements.

I'll put up or use my previous website for this.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:20 am

jobel wrote:what kind of music problems are you referring to? start times? or something like syncing problems?

I was recalling someone else complaining about them - I admit I might be remembering incorrectly. I haven't gotten to the point Of adding music in my games yet.

@Silverforce - I recently got access to an android phone and just gave crosswalk a try - I didn't realize it has memory management, so I tossed in the rough equivalent of all of loot pursuit's graphics into the capx which probably would total somewhere around 750mb at least (when uncompressed in ram), ran it, and it in fact did not crash though it did occasionally have random pauses up to over a second. So I'm not sure what it's doing, but thanks for mentioning that.

Also a good point about the shared memory - if layout by layout loading is only for VRAM, and on mobiles normal ram is also used as VRAM, I'm not sure if one of two things is happening - either its keeping all compressed assets in ram and decompressing them only when they're needed and dumping the previous layout's uncompressed assets, or two its keeping everything decompressed in ram and swapping stuff out as it loads from flash memory when needed. My guess is the former, as I would expect the latter to cause quite significant pauses, but I did get a few significant pauses here and there (though not at layout transitions) so I'm not sure (haven't checked the total ram usage yet).
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:47 am

@Arima

It's a browser engine so crosswalk is dumping un-unused assets and reloading new ones you call into the layout if its running of of ram, that most likely is the spike issue.

You put all of the assets into 1 layout and it ran at 750mb? Pretty impressive heh.

Also, there's no more sound issue, fixed recently and I've just updated my own game on the Play Store with the new version! yay!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:41 am

Silverforce wrote:You put all of the assets into 1 layout and it ran at 750mb? Pretty impressive heh.

Sorry, no, should have been more clear, I added maybe 500 mb of images to the about 250 mb that was already there, and spread the new images across 3 layouts that never get visited.

If the VRAM usage of the construct classic version of loot pursuit is anything like the C2 version (C2 version should be less because I set it up better), total VRAM in use shouldn't be above about 100 mb at any point.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:53 am

Crosswalk does fine for memory management, if you have a really massive game, aim for 1gb ram devices and it should be fine. That's not bad considering most of the market are on 1gb now and all the new stuff is 2gb onwards. So your massive project will be fine. :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:35 am

For Desktop exporting the best option is Node-Webkit
For Android exporting the best option is Intel Crosswalk

Is there any similar export option for IOS that works acceptably and is free, and is NOT coccoon?
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General