Construct 2 - Realistic State after 1 gazilion downloads

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:22 am

I understand the complaints, and I feel like I have no right to have claims as I don't have a c2 game on the market at the moment. But I have created three basic game engines, a shoot em-up, an rts and a turn based game. I have tested all three in mobile and the results were not that bad. They all perform 30+fps's. Though admittedly, they are not complete products.

But the point I'm trying to make is, just tell me a good nice popular 2d game on the market, on any platform, that you can't make with c2 and run in an acceptable performance. From all the bird game clones to jetpack clones to infinite jumpers/runners to card games... I understand that sometimes what you have in mind hits a performance related barrier but making a game involves a lot of non-programming work and decisions, some of which can help with the performance issues. No matter what kind of art form you are using, you have limitations with your medium and shape your art accordingly. You can't play drums with guitar, if you try to, you just hit the wood and you may even be able to decorate your drumhits with guitar sound and make something acceptable... but it will take a lot of work.

I think we can all agree on that c2 could be near-perfect if it had native exporting or some kind of non-third party solution for exports. Currently, you have to find other ways to make it work and this may involve design / target platform choices. But before jumping on another train, just be sure all of them have their own set of problems. This is the nature of the programming. There is just no easy way of doing it, even with c2.

I am hopefull Scirra will find a way to satisfy, for the last six months that's all I have seen they have been doing.
B
18
S
4
G
1
Posts: 332
Reputation: 3,149

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:35 am

@Windwalker

making games is serious business - where people invest money and they want profits from it. Which means that game developers try to minimize possible risks. And they don't have time to wait. Now, with 3rd party exporters, risk connected with Construct 2 is quite big. That's why Scirra have almost 1,000,000 downloads but can mention only a few, bigger, really polished games.
B
18
S
7
G
1
Posts: 783
Reputation: 4,247

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:46 am

I disagree with everything OP has raised and not because I am a fanboy, but because of my own experience.

C2 has worked as advertise. An easy to use tool but hard to master, like most things in life. My first game is a MASSIVE EPIC. It was grand in scope and guess what? It runs great on mobiles thanks to Intel XDK/Crosswalk.

My second game was a crap Flappy Clone (hey its good practice trying new stuff!), runs great on mobiles thanks to CocoonJS.

I am making my third game now, it's an epic Space Sandbox RTS/RPG, aiming for the depth of games like Privateer, Freelancer & Escape Velocity. So far, its perfectly do-able with C2.

C2 is a great engine, but its still limited by your own talent pool. And C2 doesn't need its own native HTML5 -> Android exporter, because the ones available have massive teams behind it pushing through updates and improving it all the time, even if Scirra tried, I do not think they can match the international effort being Crosswalk or Intel XDK. In another few months when they add AdMob and Google Store support, it'll be perfect.
B
70
S
24
G
19
Posts: 1,757
Reputation: 17,616

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:20 am

Silverforce wrote:And C2 doesn't need its own native HTML5 -> Android exporter, because the ones available have massive teams behind it pushing through updates and improving it all the time, even if Scirra tried, I do not think they can match the international effort being Crosswalk or Intel XDK. In another few months when they add AdMob and Google Store support, it'll be perfect.


Highly debatable. C2 certainly would profit immensly from having better exporting options for mobile devices. You do have a point and I think Scirra needs to expand (hire people), which I believe they plan to do on a small scale. They probably shouldn't work on their own HTML5 wrapper, but rather provide actual native exporters.

Other development tools are often preferred over Construct 2 solely because they do in fact have native exporters available. Even if they usually come at additional cost. It just makes for a perfectly streamlined development pipeline and you do not have to rely on any other parties anymore.

Silverforce wrote:C2 is a great engine, but its still limited by your own talent pool.


A statement as true as ever, but in this context it almost seems like you are implying that other users are only having problems because they do lack talent.

Silverforce wrote:I disagree with everything OP has raised and not because I am a fanboy, but because of my own experience.

C2 has worked as advertise. An easy to use tool but hard to master, like most things in life. My first game is a MASSIVE EPIC. It was grand in scope and guess what? It runs great on mobiles thanks to Intel XDK/Crosswalk.


I certainly don't agree with everything that was raised in this thread. And I'm glad to hear that your personal experience with C2 has been this positive. My own experience is also far more positive than negative.

That doesn't mean anyone should dismiss concerns raised by others with a different experience. Especially if the main aim is improving Construct 2 by constructive criticism, which I believe this thread is still about. Yes, the tone has been a bit "ranty" here and there, but it is the internet after all. ;)
B
23
S
6
G
11
Posts: 1,047
Reputation: 8,065

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:43 am

When I see games like The Next Penelope being made with Construct 2, all I can think of is "How do I get better?!" and certainly not "This game engine is flawed and lacking thats why I can't make awesome games". What one man can do, others can do also. If they can't, indeed it is down to talent. I'm not talented, but C2 has been great in my experience.
B
70
S
24
G
19
Posts: 1,757
Reputation: 17,616

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:45 am

szymek wrote:@Windwalker

making games is serious business - where people invest money and they want profits from it. Which means that game developers try to minimize possible risks. And they don't have time to wait. Now, with 3rd party exporters, risk connected with Construct 2 is quite big. That's why Scirra have almost 1,000,000 downloads but can mention only a few, bigger, really polished games.


To be honest, most games on the App Stores are absolute trash and the bigger really polished games are far and few between, and the majority are from bigger devs.

This is more than indie, because C2 is so simple to use everyone can make games. Just because everyone can write, doesn't make them awesome novelists.
B
70
S
24
G
19
Posts: 1,757
Reputation: 17,616

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:09 pm

tomsstudio wrote:I was going to announce this in a few months...

But i love c2 so much that i thought i would give a heads up to people.

Currently been working on 2 native compilers for android and ios for the past month.

Of course they are in very /very early alpha, but so far so good.

Android a bit easier than ios.

I was originally going to make a construct 2 clone that compiles to native, but in the end i thought it would be far better to just write a direct compiler (and not step on @scirra's shoes)

Again i wasn't going to let anyone know for a while until i had something /stable.

But this is really for the people who are thinking of jumping ship :)


Would it be like you load a capx, and it export directly? because that would be.. WoW
Anyway, good luck
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
54
S
22
G
18
Posts: 2,123
Reputation: 17,150

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:17 pm

Nicely said Arima, I agree.

@tomsstudio, awesome! Would be cool if you got Scirra to hire you.
B
152
S
75
G
21
Posts: 1,795
Reputation: 23,285

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:48 pm

@alspal,

That would be awesome ;)

@aphrodite

That's pretty much how it works :)
B
10
S
2
G
1
Posts: 92
Reputation: 926

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:57 pm

@tomsstudio Wow, as the others already mentioned, WOW! I've got a vuvuzuela specially used to root for you! :D

As someone who has tried GM and Unity many years ago, and left because of very poor programming skills, I am not really that qualified to talk much about this. But perhaps Scirra could implement something where some of the updates can be voted by the community?

For example, Scirra could put a small list of new features for the next stable release, and let the community discuss and vote on which they would like to see implemented first. And maybe even a section for larger features that take a longer time, so at least the community knows that it is being addressed. The advantage of this is not only does it get all of us working more closer together, but it could actually help Scirra bring these functions to life earlier. For example, if everyone votes to have a native exporter for mobile, than someone might have also been working on something similar, Scirra and the person could work together for a short while to complete this instead of starting from scratch ( hint hint....tomsstudio's project!)

Of course, only Scirra truly understands the structure and how C2 is put together so some things need to be done and fixed before others can be implemented, but maybe it would be a positive thing to also let the community who are the customers also have a say in what they would like to see.
B
46
S
23
G
31
Posts: 693
Reputation: 20,637

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests