Construct 2 - Realistic State after 1 gazilion downloads

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:01 pm

@Arima / @stefanos - gents, that wasn't aimed at you! Arima, I thought your responses were particularly well balanced and reflected my own views, especially page 2 - I don't think I would have been quite so polite or eloquent if I had tried to say the same!

This is my second go at writing this post because the stupid editor logged me out and deleted my text (wft? twice in one day!) :? .

I re-read the thread and I don't think I can support my assertion that anyone appeared to show a lack of appreciation. Neck - winding in.... Perhaps I suffer from having too much empathy with Ashley because we were all out to criticize his baby and his business decisions.

However, I really do think it's important to talk about C2's shortcomings. Especially those areas where the Scirra website front page assertions differ somewhat from C2's true capabilities. I just hope to avoid being slain by accusations that it's my coding technique that is the only thing between me now and me making a bad piggies android clone... :D
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:55 pm

High quality, polished mobile apps can do well in today's gaming market.
All personal preferences aside, it can be seen that mobile games, done well, can make a lot of money...which in turn can allow one to continue making great games for people to enjoy.

A rather short but intriguing article about today's state of mobile games:
http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/this-is-how-much-money-free-apps-actually-make/story-fn6vihic-1226825724686

By scrolling down a bit you can see average daily incomes of the current batch of top mobile games.
All I need is a powerful engine that can produce quality apps, I'm still hoping that somehow, someway, Construct 2 is the exact engine that I'm looking for...--
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:08 pm

Has anyone tried the Antares Universe with the Unity 2d Engine?

It seems a very compelling offering...no coding required, accelerated production, and great performing games being made with it...Sounds Awesome! :)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:30 pm

I haven't but this (http://plyoung.com/plyblox/) is pretty good for unity if you're into the visual scripting stuff. Notably it allows you to make your own events if you can code so you can extend functionality. But C2 strength comes more from behaviors and plugins than the visual scripting stuff, so to that end you're better off in finding a 'Kit' for the type of game you're trying to make.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:57 pm

Doesn't look quite as powerful as Universe, but I guess it could work.

I'm just looking for an end to end solution, that is, from inception to publishing, that can compete with the best of the best -

Mostly, I don't want my final product to look like it was made with a kit or a half-baked publishing solution or anything that doesn't give breathe of real quality. -

I want it to look and feel like a polished, professional mobile app, not an imitation or on a lesser wrung of quality...that's all. - :)
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:01 am

@startechstudios & @juryiel - those are both very interesting solutions to the Unity code writing nightmare. I think you've both found me something to tinker with over the next couple of weeks as a means to avoid working on my C2 game, which I'm feeling a bit bogged down by... I tried Playmaker a while ago and, as will all things Unity, that seemed quite complicated but also quite a comprehensive solution to the 'I don't want to learn code' issue. Maybe one of these are what I've been searching for...
Last edited by Colludium on Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:05 am

I do code, but I find Construct 2 so much faster which is why I like it, but if it can't make really great stuff for the public - then...Why am I using it??
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:38 am

STARTECHSTUDIOS wrote:I do code, but I find Construct 2 so much faster which is why I like it, but if it can't make really great stuff for the public - then...Why am I using it??

Well right, plyBox and plyGame are still beta, I was just showing its setup basically matches C2 fairly closely in terms of the event driven system, whereas universe is different, and may be less intuitive (I'm not sure). But because it has most of the basic stuff done and also allows you to make your own event block types you can do quite a lot even at this stage. May be worth waiting longer if you don't want to do a bunch of your own coding. I personally use Kits anyway for the specific game genre I want to make. Those are usually more specific and can produce games more quickly but at the cost of flexibility.

This may also be useful to @Arima given the health issues mentioned.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:45 am

All this talk about C2 not being able to make larger complex games on mobiles... not true. I came to C2 with no former programming or art background.

My first game idea was a huge RPG at HD res (some would say its a mistake to aim big as a noob, I think learning as you go helps a lot), and I stumbled and learnt my way around. When it finished months later, it was 83MB, wouldn't even run with CocoonJS due to its limitations (which I wasn't aware of at the time, my fault!). By trimming it down and changing a lot of assets into PNG8 (which turns out looking 95-99% the same as PNG32), shortening the music loops, removing a few sprites and BG, it went down to 27MB, but still CocoonJS had trouble since it took 450MB of free ram due to it loading all assets into ram at the start. It would run on Tegra 3 devices at 25fps, I thought that was the limitation of HTML5 and accepted my fate.. but its not true, after more optimizations, it now runs on the the same device at 50-60 fps!

Even better recently with Crosswalk, max of 250MB ram required only. I am not saying my game is a great example of game development, polish, artistic sense or whatever (I had to trim a lot of the art and effects to get it to run well on mobiles). I am just saying its a huge game with over 3,600 events and it runs very well even on older mobiles (HTC Incredible S with a 1ghz Dual-Core and 512mb ram, 800x480 res).

See how busy the gameplay is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4krwUmmb3c

Now its no Airscape or Penelope, but with being designed for mobiles and the limitations, there's no way you are going to get those games running smooth on older mobiles.

My current project is a massive space sci-fi sandbox!
http://halfgeekstudios.wordpress.com/

Don't think such complex games are possible via html5/C2 on mobiles? I will prove its possible, alpha gameplay is already smooth on my Tegra 3.

My only gripes is the lack of AdMob and Google Store integration for C2/Intel XDK currently but its coming soon, something to look forward to when my current project is finished.

In summary, my opinion is that for smaller games, CocoonJS is actually fantastic for Android and iOS, but bigger games is where it falls flat on its face due to poor memory management, but its something Crosswalk can do (for Android only). Know the limitations and work within and around them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:39 am

Silverforce wrote:All this talk about C2 not being able to make larger complex games on mobiles... not true.

I think you're misunderstanding what I meant when talking about a large game. Complex games with thousands of events are certainly possible on mobile as it is (music problems and such notwithstanding). Large games, and by that I mean games that take up a lot of memory, aren't, for the very reason you struggled with - C2 loading all images at once. 250 mb is not at all a small amount for a mobile game - as far as I know, iOS is already throwing memory warnings at that point. Optimizing, reducing color palette and resolution will only go so far.

Loot pursuit, my rpg, was also running smoothly with over 3,000 events, but as soon as I added too many images, it started crashing. I wasn't even halfway through the game at that point, maybe a third. No amount of optimization will make it run on iOS unless something is done about the images all being loaded at startup.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General