Construct 2 vs Game Develop, why nobody using it?

Chat about anything not covered in these forums, but keep it civil!

Post » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:28 pm

I general pointer to how popular something is to check out the user activity in their forum. Last time I checked with Game Develop, it wasn't exactly a thriving community, but it may have gotten better since then.

Usability wise, I just didn't like the feel of it. The event system isn't as intuitive as C2. Just load some examples to see the difference - breakout is a good start.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:29 am

I chosen Construct 2 , because of the helpful community and the updates. Thank you
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:22 am

I did not share my opinion, so I will now:

Game devellop is a nice idea, but I find it inferior to C2, and here is why:

The html5 export seems more like an addition than a full export, just having pixelated graphics seems to be an absent option on it.
The IDE feels kind of disorganised, never found any real logic to it personnaly
I think they choose to support cocoonjs recently, not so much a bad thing if they can pull it off, but it is not encouraging
The event system is not as intuitive and readeable as C2's one (however, it is still far superior to clickteam fusion 2.5 from what I saw, but again clickteam fusion 2.5 event system is really outdated)
Little unease of use thingies adds up, I feel more like struggling against the IDE than using it.

However, due to its free price, his open source nature (even with a small community), and the fact it still works, and runs on linux, and html5 platforms (there is an html5 version of the IDE), it might still be considered a good choice.

The community on the other hand seems to not know a lot about html5, and think it is limited a lot (I remember reading that some people did not want an html5 app of game develop because they did not want to upload their assets anywhere, or did not want to be constantly connected to the internet for it to work, hello? We are in 2014, offline webapps that works with on disk ressources exists guys).
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:32 am

I saw the engine's website and saw some screenshots and yeah, I hated their event system design,by the way I tried different programs than construct2 , like stencyl and game salad etc... And yet IMHO I think these programs are crap compared to construct2. I'm now attached to C2 so it might not happen in the near future when I will change the engine. But as the others say, you are free to use the engine or framework you like. You are not obliged to choose one, try them all, and see the one that fits you.
ImageImageImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:53 pm

One thing GD does have, is the option of either HTML or traditional standalone. There are instances where having both can be useful.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:41 am

It does look very promising, but not at all that finished and polished as C2 - but hey, it's free as in free...

IMHO I'd much rather have C2 Free, and live with the limitations, until I felt confident enough to upgrade to a Personal or Business license.

But I think it's good to have this comparison ongoing once in a while; frameworks often change a lot over short periods of time.
B
S

Post » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:42 pm

Dear dutoit i have moved to develop because the export is miles better there , C2 is rubbish in export but gdevelop is excellent there... and gdevelop is growing very fast and if it continues like the C2 will be toy beside it ...
B

Post » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Yeah, signs up, first post, says using another product......
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:04 pm

@mikehon

Borderline trolling of a year old thread - harsh.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:13 pm

Game develop seems to copy everything from C2. They even use a similiar font like on the C2 main page. How low can one stoop...
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Open Topic