Construct 2 vs. Unity

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:11 am

@newt

but these "known issues" affect many C2 developers

and the only answer - always and forever - is "wait"

I can only guess how "Airscape" or "The Next Penelope" devs feel - they invested lots of money, they invested lots of time, their games are visible on Construct 2 main page, but they can't play 100% smooth their games

do you think it's normal?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:20 am

I think it's all conjecture until you bring real numbers of what works on each engine, on each platform, and a decent offering of the range of different machines.
But that wasn't my point.
My point is that there are a lot of baseless complaints about performance that aren't related, and are in fact user error, and that they muddy up the process of figuring out the real issues.

Sort of what Prominent said.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:16 am

@newt

> My point is that there are a lot of baseless complaints about performance that aren't related

I see mainly posts about:
- Crosswalk (it is true because of Chromium),
- Node-Webkit (it is true because of Chromium),
and even perfectly smooth iOS has (as @Silverforce mentioned) issues with webstorage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:15 pm

@szymek

Yes someone from Intel may choose to post here and so may Google. Scirra has no say in the matter one way or the other. They are an outside observer just like the rest of us. There is no way to co-operate with any of them unless the people that make the other engines choose to engage on their own.

I concur with the frustration however. I am finishing up my game I have spent every weekend this year on... and I do not look forwards to having to deal with issues caused by the browsers / hosts... That was the risk I accepted though at the beginning because I knew then that HTML still has not caught up to capabilities of OS software even though it has advanced quite a lot. The trade off was that C2 is such a nice game engine that I could make a high quality game in just some of my spare time... Also I do not need to spend thousands of dollars to make the game that would have been required from Unity.
Last edited by ggibson1 on Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
S

Post » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:20 pm

szymek wrote:@newt

> My point is that there are a lot of baseless complaints about performance that aren't related

I see mainly posts about:
- Crosswalk (it is true because of Chromium),
- Node-Webkit (it is true because of Chromium),
and even perfectly smooth iOS has (as @Silverforce mentioned) issues with webstorage

I have been reading these forums for the past year and most people seemed to be happy with Google based hosts until just recently. And same with the web storage issue. And YES this is normal. It has always been true (for decades) that developers that use third party tools (browsers) to speed up their development must deal with the shortcomings of those tools as part of the trade off... or else just build it themselves from scratch at great expense...

So normal in fact it has a name in the software development world.... "build vs buy"
B
S

Post » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:39 pm

If you guys really want to migrate to other tools. Might be interested with this free n open source software.

https://github.com/4ian/GD
www.compilgames.net/index.php

compiles to native and html5. For android or ios still requires wrapper like XDK or cocoonjs.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:58 am

tumira wrote:If you guys really want to migrate to other tools. Might be interested with this free n open source software.compiles to native and html5. For android or ios still requires wrapper like XDK or cocoonjs.

biz.turbulenz(dot)com/developers

This is also available it is under the MIT license. It is a web based tool set / API for making games in the browser :)That said I do not think It has a level editor...
B
S

Post » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:50 pm

Unity is better for complex games. I use Construct 2 for simple games. The mere performance for Unity is smoother, too, and don't blame the Chromium team. HTML5 is just not ready.
B
S

Post » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:34 pm

HTML5 was ready awhile ago until the Chromium team broke it. :/
B
S
G

Post » Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:09 pm

I'll agree with a lot of users here that HTML5 is a massive headache, the cross platform mobility is great, but we don't even really have that for anything more advanced than a simple game.

None of this bothers me yet (mobile game dev FTW) - but 2015 is when I plan to move onto a serious project that'll take about a year to finish; on the one hand, the issues we're talking about now will have gone, but on the other hand - Construct 3 will likely being coming into it's Beta phase next Christmas...

I have to wonder if there was ever a change to build an engine that exported native, and then we used "wrappers" to build our HTML5 versions, at the moment it seems we have to work backwards.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General