Construct 2 - what would you take away?

New releases and general discussions.

Post » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:07 pm

I would also say ribbon - it's not cross platform ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:56 pm

the properties bar in the event editor, i mean its pretty useless to have there and just takes up space.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:05 pm

[quote="QuaziGNRLnose":q9e0dsmc]the properties bar in the event editor, i mean its pretty useless to have there and just takes up space.[/quote:q9e0dsmc]
it's useless, but it wouldn't be if you could still select the objects in the objects bar
I've always wanted that feature
Spriter Dev
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:48 pm

[quote="lucid":jgsdm0ca]it's useless, but it wouldn't be if you could still select the objects in the objects bar
I've always wanted that feature[/quote:jgsdm0ca]
Oh I second, third and fourth that!

I also think if we could make the project window be able to work like the object window, namely: select objects and get the properties window to change to that object (in [u:jgsdm0ca]both[/u:jgsdm0ca] the event and layout editor) and place objects from the project view list to a layout, we could do away with the objects bar altogether. Since the project list could offer the same functionality but with [u:jgsdm0ca]much[/u:jgsdm0ca] better overview while also freeing up some screen real estate.

I think the objects bar is a slightly unnecessary mainstay from the TGF days, although it might be useful for complete beginners. Heck even if you keep it and get the functionality I mentioned into the project list I could just close the objects bar myself.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:57 pm

I'd keep the properties bar, as I find it useful to read values that I need to use while I write events.
However, not being able to pick objects makes it pretty useful, so I'd like that.
The object bar is now taking up space and duplicating the function of the objects folder in the project panel, as they're usually both visible (but you can't drag objects out of the project panel!)

So:
-remove object panel.
-allow properties to be shown for an object clicked in the project bar, even while editing properties.
-allow objects to be created by dragging out of the project bar into the design area.

whee! more design space!

Also: the ribbon might not be portable, but I don't think IDE portability is a goal anway, just runtime. The former would be a TON of work.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:24 pm

binary cap files have got to go. They're bad for team projects, bad for version control, they get corrupted and you lose everything.

Instead, let's switch to a project folder and xml based solution. This is actually something I've given a lot of thought to, based on my experiences with Unity and the way they implement projects. My thoughts:
[list:1pilallp]
[*:1pilallp]A root project folder containing a ".capx" file that describes the project using xml.[/*:m:1pilallp]
[*:1pilallp]sub folders for graphics, music, sounds, objects, layouts, events, effects, plugins, data.[/*:m:1pilallp]
[*:1pilallp]store as much as possible in xml files - object definitions, event sheets, layouts, etc.[/*:m:1pilallp]
[*:1pilallp]if you want to share a project, let C2 package it into a special zip file (.capz?), and then have C2 unpack it automatically on the end user's machine.[/*:m:1pilallp]
[*:1pilallp]integrate C2 with SVN or Git - allow users to enter their GitHub credentials and automatically sync their projects from within C2 (wild idea, i know).[/*:m:1pilallp]
[*:1pilallp]for BC, allow it to open binary cap files and parse them into xml projects.[/*:m:1pilallp]
[*:1pilallp]allow plugin files to be frozen in projects, so you can share without others needing the plugin (side benefit- if you open a capz file and it contains a plugin you don't have, C2 could ask if you want to add it)[/*:m:1pilallp][/list:u:1pilallp]
B
S
G

Post » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:00 pm

[quote="GMG":2n8vmioe]
[list:2n8vmioe]
[*:2n8vmioe]sub folders for graphics, music, sounds, objects, layouts, events, effects, plugins, data.[/*:m:2n8vmioe]
[*:2n8vmioe]if you want to share a project, let C2 package it into a special zip file (.capz?), and then have C2 unpack it automatically on the end user's machine.[/*:m:2n8vmioe]
[*:2n8vmioe]integrate C2 with SVN or Git - allow users to enter their GitHub credentials and automatically sync their projects from within C2 (wild idea, i know).[/*:m:2n8vmioe][/list:u:2n8vmioe][/quote:2n8vmioe]
This. Please. All of this. As of now team projects are so cumbersome it's like playing potato sack hopscotch.
B
G

Post » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:55 am

Why do you want to ask what you should take away? I would say remove nothing (It is a difficult choice)
B
G

Post » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:01 am

Ashley explained why in the first post.
B
S
G

Post » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:51 pm

The layout object has been an issue for quite some time.
I mean sure it would be nice to have, but stuff like that, the menus, and the project folders just hurt more than they help.
Image Image
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct Classic Discussion