Construct 2: Your opinion so far...

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:44 pm

[quote="Candescence":10e2niou]I've noticed that many people seem to not realize that C2 has a modular export feature and end up thinking that HTML5 is gonna be the only exporter. This is something that really needs to be rectified.[/quote:10e2niou]

People are probably remembering the "software" version of Construct 0.x (that OTHER option, you know?)

I'm not one of them though :wink:
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:59 pm

I think C2 is shapeing very nicely. The interface is nicer and faster in compare to 0.x and html5 is a step in very good direction for many reasons. To list a few would be the fact that pc gaming is shrinking, majority of pc gamers rather play aaa titles since they invested in their machines quite a lot of money. Therfore 2d gameing shifted thorwards mobile devices like iphone and ipad and online arcades where 2d games have still got bigger chancees of being noticed not only by geeks ( thought even there you got unreal engine 3 running on those now, so the competition is getting tougher). So basicaly what I'm saing is that with html5 you can reach wider audiance. Besides that I'm preatty sure that more exporters will come with time, so you'll be able to create stand alone iPhone/iPad apps, exe and maybe even console versions ( I'm counting on it ;)

Now, I'm copying this from the other thread since i'm not sure how many people saw this, and it hink it can't be missed. The power of html5 :)

[quote:2l1zods5]

http://www.andrew-hoyer.com/experiments/cloth/

and then at this

http://webdesignledger.com/inspiration/ ... bout-flash

maybe something will inspire you :)[/quote:2l1zods5]
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:58 pm

I haven't taken a proper look at C2 because of the absence of an .exe exporter (let's not go over old ground, we've already been there), but I see no reason why C2 wouldn't be better than C1.
They've learnt a lot whilst writing C1, and when all the features are in place I'm sure it will be great.

I may even give it a try sometime, but probably not, because of the absence of....ahem.

[quote="megatronx":3ca1c8rc]the fact that pc gaming is shrinking
[/quote:3ca1c8rc]
Lol, the death of the old grey slab has been greatly exaggerated over the years.
I remember about 10 years or so ago, we were being told that the PC was on it's way out by the media in every corner it seemed, and with the likes of Command & Conquer, PC games kept hitting the top of the charts.

We saw a similar thing 4 or 5 years ago from the media, including the UK TV Teletext magazine "GameStation" where the PC was being given it's last rites.

And now once again, no doubt from a narrow poll that doesn't reflect the full demographic, we hear that the PC will not survive the next generation of games consoles.
Hmm, MineCraft anyone. :)

Krush.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:39 pm

[quote="KrushBrother":lf2zg3nc]I haven't taken a proper look at C2 because of the absence of an .exe exporter (let's not go over old ground, we've already been there), but I see no reason why C2 wouldn't be better than C1.
They've learnt a lot whilst writing C1, and when all the features are in place I'm sure it will be great.

I may even give it a try sometime, but probably not, because of the absence of....ahem.

[quote="megatronx":lf2zg3nc]the fact that pc gaming is shrinking
[/quote:lf2zg3nc]
Lol, the death of the old grey slab has been greatly exaggerated over the years.
I remember about 10 years or so ago, we were being told that the PC was on it's way out by the media in every corner it seemed, and with the likes of Command & Conquer, PC games kept hitting the top of the charts.

We saw a similar thing 4 or 5 years ago from the media, including the UK TV Teletext magazine "GameStation" where the PC was being given it's last rites.

And now once again, no doubt from a narrow poll that doesn't reflect the full demographic, we hear that the PC will not survive the next generation of games consoles.
Hmm, MineCraft anyone. :)

Krush.[/quote:lf2zg3nc]
I think you've missed the point in what i said. Pc gameing is shrinking and i gaved good reasons to support my opinion.

edit@ MC is one of those exceptional games that can run quite smootly on very low end pc. Like mine. And because i can't aford ne rig every year, and have to stick with my 5 year old laptop I'm not plaing new games almost at all on pc. And there must be loads of people with specs like mine. Therefore games like wow and mc are keeping the platform alive.
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:45 pm

I think PC gaming has a long way to shrink before it's smaller than the next biggest gaming market after consoles (whatever that is). In other words, PC gaming may be shrinking, but it's still huge.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:51 pm

[quote="Ashley":2lqclqun]I think PC gaming has a long way to shrink before it's smaller than the next biggest gaming market after consoles (whatever that is). In other words, PC gaming may be shrinking, but it's still huge.[/quote:2lqclqun]

I agree. What I'm seying is that 2d games got bigger chance on mobile devices or virtual arcades.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:49 am

@MegatronX :
I saw your link for "the power oh HTML 5". Have you read all the critics of this article ?... Copy/past of many reactions :

The real issue isnt that the HTML 5 Canvas isnt capable of a lot of things that Flash can do, but the fact it typically takes a huge amount of JavaScript to do so whereas in Flash typically you dont need to code as much and in many cases you can just use movieclips and the timeline to your advantage.

I agree with some of the other comments that if someone built an IDE capable of making complex animations as simple as using Flash, then Id be more agreeable to the HTML 5 Canvas getting some traction later on.

You still have to account for people though that shutoff JavaScript though. I know people that turn off JavaScript in their browsers because of the trouble it can cause.

This is 20.000 particules running in Flash: http://wonderfl.net/c/rbeg/ your 1500-low-framerate-demo is cute, as well as the other demos. And I would have seriously consider that in 2001. Thanks for sharing!

---

Exactly.. and by the way, that demo would run extremely smoothly with the CPU power of the iPad, but Jobs is protecting his precious AppStore business model and wont allow Flash.

HTML5 is cute. Ive seen some nice effects that remind me of Shockwave in 1995. But to suggest that it even comes close to Flash is just hilariously ignorant.

..as is the notion that the iPad cant handle Flash.

The lack of Flash on the iPhone is a business decision, period. And whats funny is the legions of iPhone fanboyz who defend this decision as if its based on tech reasons.

Fail.

Flash owns. As does Android.

.... and so and so and so...

There is just 5 or 6 "hey that's fun"...

I don't know how you will make exporters Ashley. But i think it is a wrong way : many exporter with little team = lack of time to make debug, add-ons ... It would be more interestant to have just one run time that could be run of many different system ? no ? Like Shiva ?

MMF make that and what appens ? 3 ou 4 guys work and work (very well) but it is very hard and there are late, very late. and there are all senior programmer will a very high skill.
B
G

Post » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:06 pm

[quote="kwarn":2splak8o]

I don't know how you will make exporters Ashley. But i think it is a wrong way : many exporter with little team = lack of time to make debug, add-ons ... It would be more interestant to have just one run time that could be run of many different system ? no ? Like Shiva ?

MMF make that and what appens ? 3 ou 4 guys work and work (very well) but it is very hard and there are late, very late. and there are all senior programmer will a very high skill.[/quote:2splak8o]

I completely agree with you.
The core of Construct 2 development is based in Html5, something that is not that advanced and and established at the moment, It's a Blind step in my opinion.
People say there will be an EXE exporter, but because Construct 2 is limiting itself to html5 features, you will have exe's with html5 compatible features only, which is bad.

Scirra is trying to grow in the wrong direction in my opinion. You would become the market leader if you aim at something like TGB or Shiva: Powerful engine with multiplatform support, with the advantage of everything that makes construct good. In the current direction, it will just turn into some kind of "Stencil", like I already said.

Let me put things this way:
My game Yokai, for example, it's impossible to run on Html5. No Html5, no Construct2, will have to stick with Cx, or move to another engine because I really want to release it on other platforms.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:56 pm

Maybe a simple name change would help. Not from Construct, just getting rid of the 2. C2 doesn't feel like a follow up to C1, it seems more like a 1.5 "upgrade" to the UI and a 0.1 "reverse-grade" to the run-time.

Granted, if there truly IS exe export with shaders and all, then it makes more sense to call it Construct 2, it's just that we are a ways off from that point.

I've gone back to MMF2 until EXE shows up, as while I like HTML5 as a feature, I don't much care for it as a focus. Still like Construct a lot, and will hopefully be using C2 someday.
B
S
G

Post » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:55 pm

@kwarn
Your comparison of Flash and Html5 doesn't take into account the fact that Html5 is still in its infancy, and Flash is well... ancient in geek speak.
Also... pretty sure you have to have javascript enabled to run flash on a browser.

[quote="pyteo":15c8dvh6]People say there will be an EXE exporter, but because Construct 2 is limiting itself to html5 features, you will have exe's with html5 compatible features only, which is bad[/quote:15c8dvh6]

Who said it would be like that?
There's no reason an exe exporter would be limited to Html5 features.
Image Image
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General