Construct 3 any news?

Post » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:37 am

too shabby because native vs javascript won't bring you much performance improvements.

also, you can go and write everything in c++ export so you could just wrap it again for ios (objective C, and Java for droid).

oh there's much more to it, but you people will keep on whining about native forever.

relatively new - https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/algorith ... a-malyshev
if you check this out - JS is in the middle, only optimized c++ is faster. even java is slower.
and that's algorithmic performance, which is only needed for games.
Sea Monsters template - Isometric
Also includes 40 pages PDF of optimizations and "how-to" for your games, and how the "sea monsters" template was built. Follow link for details :)

sea-monsters-templates-and-assets_t162705
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:07 am

I agree plus (again i'm no expert) but wouldn't that mean we couldn't use all the shiny WebGL effects and stuff anymore? I think it's not a problem of HTML5 but of sometimes faulty wrappers as far as i can tell although i heard it's much better now than it was even a year ago.

If anyone's interested: i signed up for the GMS2 beta just to try it out. I used GMS back a few years ago but never came very far with it. The Interface sure looks different but honestly i don't really like it and i tried to look at it as objectively as possible. The drag and drop system might be a nice idea but it's really just a visual representation of GML code. It's NOT like the event system of C2, which is basically it's own thing when it comes to logic. I followed the beginners tutorial on YouTube but stopped when it came to the point where you have to write multiple lines of confusing stuff just to keep the Score Display in the upper half of the screen from scrolling with the game. In C2, just set the layer Parallax to the desired number and done. Plus you don't have any form of behaviours available so every engine be it for Jump N Runs, Top Down, etc. has to be completely written from scratch.

So even with the new version of DnD in GMS2, making Games in C2 is still so much faster and more enjoyable. After pages of criticism and comparing to the supposed "green lands" of other engines and calling them superior, i just thought it'd be important to say this and i don't want the Scirra Team getting too depressed when reading through this Thread :P

About the release of C3: C2 is perfectly functional and a great piece of software. It's codebase is also a lot younger than that of Fusion 2.5 (which dates back to at least the Multimedia Fusion Days of the Mid to late 90s) or Game Maker Studio (which basically was a reskinning of the original Game Maker, also released in the mid 90s) so it makes complete sense, that C3 isn't coming out yet but it's really great that it's already being worked on (after all, it's a total rewrite of the Editor, something that takes others decades to tackle, just sayin' ;))

So if i actually could give a wishlist for the new Editor it'd be the same usability and hopefully some shiny new features that make life even easier and a handful of new plugins and behaviours :)

But it's just my two cents ;)
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:29 am

@Ashley

Is there a chance for webassambly in C3?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:30 am

Please don't waste time to native export or 3D. What we really need is "Third-party extensibility of the editor" and "Project modularity features".

People don't understand that when they have a 3D option, the engine won't going to make a 3D game itself. 3D is complicated. I think 90% of people who want 3D in C3 are not going to make any games with it. We don't even have a decent game in 2D but we want 3D. And with "Third-party extensibility of the editor" someone can make a plugin like Q3D with 3D editor and it would be close to official 3D support. You can check Q3Ds forum page and see how complicated it is.

Native export doesn't mean your object/effect/particle heavy games perform well on any platform. You still need to think about performance and adjust your game. And I don't think people going to buy native export modules. Check GMS2 module prices, it costs a lot.

People say other engines have HTML5 export, too. Yes, they have but they are really bad.

BTW I really like the GM2 look and I got the beta but If I'm going to use GMS2 I would prefer GML. It seems simpler than DnD. Their DnD system is still bad compared to C2's event system.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:28 am

bilgekaan wrote:...Native export doesn't mean your object/effect/particle heavy games perform well on any platform. You still need to think about performance and adjust your game And I don't think people going to buy native export modules. Check GMS2 module prices, it costs a lot...

I don't need to have native export, but I would dearly love to see scirra maintain a core suite of plugins for a publishing pipeline to Mobile. I'm happy to use Intel XDK or Cocoon.io to compile, but I hate having to rely on 3rd party plugins that have no support for fundamental things like ads, Play Store / App Store integration, analytics. I think Scirra should provide plugins for those functions as part of their core C3 offering, given that mobile is a really important target platform for C2 devs trying to generate income. If keeping those plugins up-to-date meant the box price for C3 was higher, I'd gladly pay for it!
Last edited by Artpunk on Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:30 am

@saiyadjin Maybe you are right, but "thanks" to the wrappers, usually the performance is not as good.

@joel87 I've also tested the beta... The interface is nice, but for some reason I feel that a FullHD monitor is not enough for me. As for the DnD, is the same one, just adapted a little to the new design.

Construct's interface and events are more intuitive and user friendly.

@bilgekaan "Third-party extensibility of the editor" and "Project modularity features". +1 ;)
But I am of the ones that would like to see basic 3D support: possibility to import simple 3D models and animations (games like Sonic for DS or Sonic 4 where the character is 3D and the world 2D) or simple shapes like 3D boxes (to create 2.5D or isometric games).

As for GMS2 prices, you still have GMS1 Free version that you can make games.
You think that GMS2 modules cost much ? Then you haven't heard about Cocoon.io 500$ to remove "build with Cocoon" splash for 1 game :lol: . Or think about the costs of releasing games for iOS (100$/year developer subscription + costs of a Mac and an iOS device). Or other programs like Stencyl or Game Salad with 100~200$/year subscription. If you are a serious developer you will use these exporters and will get your investment back.

On this note, Construct 2's one-time 100 Euro price is decent enough.

I'm not against HTML5-only... I actually like the idea that you code your game once and plays the same on all devices, but the reality is that there are still issues like the never-ending NW.js (screen flickering, Steam Overlay and the newest one with recording software), the difference in browsers (the iOS sound issue), the mobile wrappers ... where Ashley says that he has no imput over them (wait and see, maybe they will be fixed in the future :roll: )
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:33 pm

@TGeorgeMihai - true, and that is mostly because they're badly optimized. but lately they do improve, and things are going better if not from the source code side, at least from the hardware side :)
Sea Monsters template - Isometric
Also includes 40 pages PDF of optimizations and "how-to" for your games, and how the "sea monsters" template was built. Follow link for details :)

sea-monsters-templates-and-assets_t162705
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:08 pm

My stance on native engines is detailed here: https://www.scirra.com/blog/ashley/28/the-case-against-native-engines

I think "make native engines" is everyone's knee-jerk reaction when something doesn't work. For example, sure, we could make changes to make publishing easier. But that can be done anyway. You don't need native code to solve that. I also have direct experience of working with a native engine for Construct Classic. That had enough problems to make me move away from it. It is certainly not perfect. Do not imagine it will magically fix everything!
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:55 pm

@TGeorgeMihai Compared to C2's price GMS2 (HTML5 module itself more expensive than C2) modules are expensive. Personally, I can afford it but I don't think people realize that adding native export make C3's price higher and it would be waste of time.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:19 pm

rexrainbow wrote:@gumshoe2029
I lives in Taiwan, not in Philippines. Ah, they are all in Southeast Asia.

Oops! My bad. :-p But you clearly love your family. :-p
https://www.ravenheart.ca/home
I don't check the forums much anymore, but I will receive an email for PMs.

"Someone once told me I bite off more than I can chew...

I told them I would rather choke on greatness than nibble on mediocrity."
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion