Construct 3 any news?

Post » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:20 pm

Ashley wrote:My stance on native engines is detailed here: https://www.scirra.com/blog/ashley/28/the-case-against-native-engines

I think "make native engines" is everyone's knee-jerk reaction when something doesn't work. For example, sure, we could make changes to make publishing easier. But that can be done anyway. You don't need native code to solve that. I also have direct experience of working with a native engine for Construct Classic. That had enough problems to make me move away from it. It is certainly not perfect. Do not imagine it will magically fix everything!

The grass is always greener on the native-engine side.

bilgekaan wrote:Please don't waste time to native export or 3D. What we really need is "Third-party extensibility of the editor" and "Project modularity features".

You can kind of do this already with the export as a project save mode... but greater modularity is always welcome.
https://www.ravenheart.ca/home
Company name changed to avoid Facebook-type shenanigans

"Someone once told me I bite off more than I can chew...

I told them I would rather choke on greatness than nibble on mediocrity."
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:20 pm

Ashley wrote:My stance on native engines is detailed here: https://www.scirra.com/blog/ashley/28/the-case-against-native-engines

I think "make native engines" is everyone's knee-jerk reaction when something doesn't work. For example, sure, we could make changes to make publishing easier. But that can be done anyway. You don't need native code to solve that. I also have direct experience of working with a native engine for Construct Classic. That had enough problems to make me move away from it. It is certainly not perfect. Do not imagine it will magically fix everything!

I have always believed that javascript is very slow and i believed that Native is the best solution but game design is also a huge factor (Actually the highest factor for me).
But I imagine in a perfect world considering that game design is in it's optimum condition that going Native is still better in theory. Until your blog post. You have mentioned about WebAssembly, by the name it's obvious to me that it is also a low-level programming language like Assembly and generally way faster and might even clear my doubts.

But also as you said, it is still in development.... Not to mention, it is also unstable. According to Google anyway...
My question is, would it still be helpful to C3 on it's current state? Waiting for it may take too long... or am i missing something?
The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:20 pm

The things that bother me most about c2 are small things, like not being able to set size of layers width and height separately, or not being able to rotate tilemaps with their collisions also, or things not having expressions for properties you can set elsewhere. Also shader support is lacking- you can't make shaders that use multiple textures for reading/writing data, for example.
Also, there could be a lot of area for improvement in ways of organizing your eventsheets/events to be more readable, like color-coding groups. Also tracking where undo/redos are made would be useful. A way to see where functions are being called- basically ways to help see the flow better so you can jump between eventsheets and not get lost.
Also, families could be improved- It is often annoying if you have a variable in one family and need it in another, and have to rename the first one and then add it in the other, then go into the eventsheet and change which events use the old variable to the new one.
Sprite animation system could be improved- spritesheets for example, tiled sprites, etc.
Also, would like to see more support for in-game menu systems, as that is a very important aspect of games that engines overlook.
Also it is annoying with the export problems, yes, but I believe that will improve.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:21 pm

Here we are again with the classic case of Native VS HTML5. Well I think you can say as much as you want for both, in the end they both come with their own set of limitations and issues. Over the period of 2-3 years that I've actively used and still use C2, I never really had problems with the web itself.

One of the few things I'd complain about is the way Scirra (I guess Ashley in particular since he handles the most of the stuff) deals with bugs. Don't get me wrong I fully understand that there are bugs not caused by C2, however I think re-directing the user to those 3rd party websites to report the bugs by themselves is not the right way to go.

Let me go a little further by giving an example on the "correct" way of handling bugs by 3rd parties from a well known competitor named Unity.
If you would for example use their native engine and experience a bug, you'd report it to the issue tracker and wait for their response.
Usually you get a quick response and a bugfix within the next few update cycles (just like C2 does), however if you'd experience a driver issue for example caused by buggy AMD drivers. They don't re-direct you to the AMD forums and say something like "It's not our fault, report it to them please." no, they take the information they got and report it there for you. This is the behaviour I'd like to see from Scirra, being more helpful in regards of fixing 3rd party bugs instead of blaming them and then keeping quiet about it.

Before people start with arguments like "Don't be lazy and just do it yourself!", indeed that is something that more advanced users can and will do, in fact I'm doing it sometimes as well but please try to see this situation from a beginners perspective. They already have it difficult enough to learn C2 and now you expect them to go ahead and report a complex bug with next to no knowledge about how a game engine works, I don't think that's right.

I understand that there currently might be no time for Ashley to do the things I've mentioned but as soon as the work on C3 is done, I'd really like to see some improvements.
In the end it counts as some sort of customer support right or am I wrong?

This is also a response for THIS topic which had a discussion about the same issues that I tried to explain above.
As always share your thoughts below and keep calm, it's alright to criticise the things you like. ;)
Last edited by TheRealDannyyy on Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:43 pm

Just dropping my thoughts here on some recent topics:

- Forget native. It has been discussed like a million times and Ashley even took the effort to write a detailed blog post about HTML5 vs native performance.

- C2 has a great price and I still love the way they do licensing. Imagine that I have no internet access, but I want to activate my C2 license on my computer. I can do it easily. I could even develop in a cave (provided it has electricity).

- If Scirra decides to raise the price with C3, I'd also pay it gladly. I just hope they don't plan on subscription model. I'd rather buy the engine for life, even if it's more expensive. Well.. they can do both the same time too. I'm just thinking out loud.

- GMS2 looks promising but none of the new features got me really after watching the videos (except the new image editor, how they made the fire effect with it). Node-based visual coding will always lead to a mess in bigger projects and I'm yet to see a better implementation of it than UE4 Blueprints.

- I'm excited about C3 just like most of you are here. I hope that we'll get something soon, but in the meantime I'm curious about what Fusion 3 will bring into the ring. Also, I think Scirra plays it's cards very well by waiting out.

- I agree with what @TheRealDannyyy wrote about handling 3rd party bugs. I understand if Scirra has no manpower to do this now (but don't forget that they did do it regarding some bugs), but it would be a welcomed change in the future.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:12 pm

That article was a strong influence on deciding on Construct as my preferred tool over other software.
(NAV) Noble Valerian - 2D Artist and Designer
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:23 pm

For a bit of perspective, Unity has 1000+ employees.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_Technologies
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:34 pm

blackhornet wrote:For a bit of perspective, Unity has 1000+ employees.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_Technologies

I just used that comparison to make it easier to understand the message I was trying to deliver with that post.
glerikud got it and pretty much summed it up for everybody.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:09 am

Prominent wrote:Also, there could be a lot of area for improvement in ways of organizing your eventsheets/events to be more readable, like color-coding groups. Also tracking where undo/redos are made would be useful. A way to see where functions are being called- basically ways to help see the flow better so you can jump between eventsheets and not get lost.
Also, families could be improved- It is often annoying if you have a variable in one family and need it in another, and have to rename the first one and then add it in the other, then go into the eventsheet and change which events use the old variable to the new one.
Sprite animation system could be improved- spritesheets for example, tiled sprites, etc.
Also, would like to see more support for in-game menu systems, as that is a very important aspect of games that engines overlook.

These are excellent suggestions, co-signed!
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:22 pm

TheRealDannyyy wrote:no, they take the information they got and report it there for you. This is the behaviour I'd like to see from Scirra

I routinely do this already, sometimes several times a week. However users can get their bugs reported quicker if they cut me out of the process and report it directly, especially if they have a good report (in the best case you can more-or-less cut and paste the report to a different project). That's why I suggest that - if you want issues fixed quickly, going direct is the fastest way. If users don't want to do that, I can and regularly do report issues on their behalf.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion