Construct 3 any news?

Post » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:40 pm

TheRealDannyyy wrote:we'd still have more options if we'd roll with native engines.

No, I think in many ways it would be likely fewer. For every feature you'd have to find libraries that are compatible and work across all platforms (from iOS to Xbox One). For example, can you find a native WebSocket library that runs over all those platforms? Even if you can, should we depend on the possibly buggy third-party code and face the same criticism when something doesn't work? Or do you expect us to do the laborious work of writing cross-platform libraries which we maintain ourselves, when we get this for free with a browser? The key point is as a small company, we don't have the resources to maintain all those libraries ourselves - and I believe we got to where we are today specifically because we didn't get dragged down in to all that extra work. I'd point out there are several similar-sized, or even larger and better-funded, competitors who appeared over the years and maintained multiple codebases, who are more or less irrelevant now because they couldn't keep up. That could've been us.

Colludium wrote:No. Otherwise Unity and UE4 devs would think native export is overrated then....?

Well, I could change the comparison: most Unity devs write in C#, a garbage collected managed language. C++ may well be faster, closer to the metal, and smoother since there is no GC. Generally though, the difference doesn't matter, the higher-level managed language is good enough and the increased productivity is more important.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 05, 2016 3:01 pm

TheRealDannyyy wrote: And if you take into account that NWjs doesn't have WinXP support and Native does, things should be even again.

Just jumping in to say that, at least back in the nwjs 13.0 days, you could get nwjs builds to run on XP by dropping dbghelp.dll from the official nwjs package into the build folder. Don't know if that'll still work, I don't have a machine with XP installed around to test, but worth a try?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:39 pm

Ashley wrote:...The key point is as a small company, we don't have the resources to maintain all those libraries ourselves ...

Alright thanks for sharing your view on native engines and their possible risks (again). I think the sentence on top pretty much sums it up. Don't get me wrong I understood that going native also means dealing with buggy 3rd parties, drivers etc. but you could find problems like that on both ends.

I guess in the end it all comes down to the things we've experienced, I personally didn't experience that many issues while developing software with a native base. I guess you've got some pretty bad experiences with C1, that make you think the way you think about native engines right now.

All that's left for me to say is, if you decide to go on with a web based engine please maintain the base plugins.
Currently you're investing all of your time into C3's development and I get that's why you might not be able to deliver the support we expect to get.
However once C3 is out I'm hoping that you're going to get back to those broken/unfinished plugins and provide the support that the users of those plugins need.
I don't feel the need to give you examples on this regard but you should know best which ones currently really need some attention.

ErekT wrote:Just jumping in to say that, at least back in the nwjs 13.0 days, you could get nwjs builds to run on XP by dropping dbghelp.dll from the official nwjs package into the build folder. Don't know if that'll still work, I don't have a machine with XP installed around to test, but worth a try?

Even though I have done some "hacky" workarounds in the past with certain types of software, I don't really want to do that with NWjs.
You never know what else you could break by doing a workaround like that and if I would do that, I'd be the one held responsible for the bugs that might appear because of it.

Needless to say, it's good to know that it is possible to do that. However while issues with drivers will get fixed eventually, WinXP (in private use) will completely die out one day.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:22 pm

Ashley wrote:Well, I could change the comparison: most Unity devs write in C#, a garbage collected managed language. C++ may well be faster, closer to the metal, and smoother since there is no GC. Generally though, the difference doesn't matter, the higher-level managed language is good enough and the increased productivity is more important.

Except it does make a difference, people switch from Unity (C#) to Unreal Engine 4 (C++) to take advantage of that speed boost too.

But the difference between good C# and C++ is admittedly less than the difference between JavaScript and C#
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit Dropbox is a pile of trash and if you need my old files PM me! :)
B
S
G

Post » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:43 pm

@ashley How will works the "Construct 3 editor plugin" ? Is the most interesting thing for me, but i not understand very well how will be.

This means will be an event editor like for the event sheets on you can create behaviours/plugins with their param properties,etc... to be used in our projects? Or that will be a specific editor to program plugins based on javascript or whatever (hard coding)?
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:42 am

@ashley have there been any developments worth writing a blog post about?
Yoyo games have released their new game maker, and clickteam has started rolling out demo videos and screenshots of theirs- with a dev blog.
http://www.clickteam.com/fusion-3-development-blog

Will construct3 show up any time this year at all? :D
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:16 am

If construct 2 looks like fusion3... *.*
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:00 am

In honor of the truth

Construct (1) was inspired by Multimedia Fusion

And now Fusion 3 is inspired by Construct 2
CODE FOR FUN
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:24 am

Zonacas wrote:In honor of the truth

Construct (1) was inspired by Multimedia Fusion

And now Fusion 3 is inspired by Construct 2

Clearly it looks like it!

Anyway, I think I'm as impatient as you guyz are, but we should simply wait and trust Scirra for making a great improved tool with the time they need. ;)
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:13 am

The good news about this is that game maker and fusion released too early. Now SCIRRA has the advantage to do better improvements to C3.
The Things you can create is only limited by your imagination. If you don't have the skills then use your motivation as a natural force to exceed all expectations. Chadori RebornXD
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion