Construct 3 any news?

Post » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:43 pm

Of what we *do* know, Construct 3 is almost entirely an editor-only change (eg: Windows + Mac + Linux editor, better support for third party plugins to have their own interfaces, which will be great for Quazi's Q3D plugin to become almost an entire engine of its own, but also means more work for third parties to actually get to that level of plugin quality).

However, as a commercial game developer, I am most concerned about how the game runs for my customers, and so these updates don't really mean anything useful yet to me. Really looking forward to seeing if C3 will get a secondary HTML5 runtime using Vulkan and ASM.js type stuff!
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:03 pm

Irony is in Steam, Construct 2 is way famous than Clickteam Fusion 2.5.

Look at how many reviews were counted.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:15 pm

shinichild wrote:Irony is in Steam, Construct 2 is way famous than Clickteam Fusion 2.5.

Look at how many reviews were counted.

Hard to say that's a valid comparison though, Construct 2 is the first commercial entry from Scirra, and most users got Steam keys alongside their license (Early Adopters did at least). Meanwhile, Fusion customers (being a long-time product) might mostly have had it or their previous engines before Fusion 2.5 was released on Steam (eg: MMF 2 was released in 2006, and the difference between MMF 2 and Fusion 2.5 isn't enough for a company doing well to upgrade and/or leave a review)

Although this doesn't mean anything as well: despite the larger number of reviews for C2, the actual review "rating" on average is slightly higher for Fusion 2.5 (C2 at 89% https://steamspy.com/app/227240 vs. Fusion 2.5 at 90% https://steamspy.com/app/248170 ), and that's the C2 any version (free and paid) versus just the paid Fusion 2.5 reviews.

Comparisons like that don't necessarily mean one is better than the other, I can't really think of an easy way to compare. C2 is new to the game so judging by popular games being created in one or the other is an unfair comparison too. In about 10 years if we still see Fusion games getting famous on popular YouTube Let's Plays (eg: Five Nights At Freddy's) and not so much the C2 games, then maybe we could worry about Fusion becoming a better tool, but I switched from the old Clickteam products because Scirra makes the way-better interface.
"Construct 4 lets YOU make advanced games! (but not play them)" Construct Classic - Examples Kit
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:18 pm

Jayjay wrote:Comparisons like that don't necessarily mean one is better than the other, C2 is new to the game so judging by popular games being created in one or the other is an unfair comparison too. In about 10 years if we still see Fusion games getting famous on popular YouTube Let's Plays (eg: Five Nights At Freddy's) and not so much the C2 games, then maybe we could worry about Fusion becoming a better tool, but I switched from the old Clickteam products because Scirra makes the way-better interface.

Thanks for your concern. Actually I have been thinking same things as yours. People chose Clickteam over C2 because of the famous games. That is why how new developer starts from scratch, choosing the thing has successful example. Like people just choose Gamemaker because of some games.

My comparison was about having many reviews -> sold well -> richer -> can hire more people(?)

I guess it's not that simple.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:27 pm

shinichild wrote:My comparison was about having many reviews -> sold well -> richer -> can hire more people(?)

I guess it's not that simple.

I think it would be almost working like that if the paid version was the only version that can get a review, but reviews aren't worth much to a commercial game dev if it's all the freebies saying "I suck at making games so i just play the templates. but there fun enough! (and its free)." (literally just saw that :P )
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:55 pm

bilgekaan wrote:Why Scirra can't get any investment and hire more people. Maybe we can invest them with https://www.seedinvest.com or they can make a kickstarter for C3, if they don't have the capital for hiring.

They did hire more people in the near past.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:28 pm

i bought fusion developer edition in humble bundle with all the exporters incl. the new uwp exporter for 15$ plus some games and their code. its a nice engine and "feels" more safe with the native exporters but the editor seams prehistoric gives me the feeling of windows 95 era...a bloody labyrinth. i learned many things to be honest and i like it but the editor gives me headaches every time.for mmf users is the simplest thing for a c2 user is a maze... to be honest with a discount i'll propably go for fusion 3. fusion 2.5 except fnaf gave games like odallus and oniken and many other successful games also in steam. its the father of all (construct classic and c2, gamesalad, stencyl blah blah blah) it gave the idea of make games without coding.

i also dont understand some comments like "c3 should wait until fusion 3 comes out". C2 is different has a specific plan to html5 which fusion has not. users of fusion will continue to use fusion at least the majority of them and construct 2 users will continue to use construct products either or why not buy both of them due steam sales. i dont know i've got a feeling that c3 will appear suddenly one day and i think it will be in '17. Game maker if you know coding gml is miles ahead of both of them right now with the 2nd version. i read very good comments for better frame rates and the editors are great (animation/sprite editor is f@#$ing awesome), animated tiles if im correct and too much stuff. its in another level. but you have to know how to code in gml. the drag n drop system NEEDS to know gml and cannot compare to c2 at all. c2 in this is superior. im waiting what can i do more?but i think its very close.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:56 pm

glerikud wrote:They did hire more people in the near past.

Yes, I know. There are 3 programmers now in Scirra but it's still less than Clickteam and I thought C2 is more popular than fusion.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:36 pm

spy84 wrote: i've got a feeling that c3 will appear suddenly one day and i think it will be in '17.

I don't think it would be smart to just release it without first building up some awareness prior to launch.

Also, based on what has been said about improving the plugin system, I wouldn't be surprised if Scirra gathers some plugin makers prior to launch to create some plugins for c3. I know Ashley has stated that he doesn't want to spend time creating things like tilemap editors and sprite editors, so perhaps they'll leave these sort of things to plugin makers, assuming the plugin system is improved greatly and ties into the editor really well.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:37 am

I think there would be no problem in showing a bit of Construct 3

A screenshot that will feed to the users :D

A screenshot showing that Construct 3 is alive ;)

Would be a detail towards the users who hope to buy or update to Construct 3
CODE FOR FUN
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion