Construct 3 any news?

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:52 pm

I really think a lot of this talk is premature. Construct 2 was released five years ago and has been in active development since, and has the kind of maturity that comes with that length of public development time, e.g. people can open 400mb projects with thousands of events and things still work smoothly. There's a lot of work and literally thousands of bugs to get to that point (4634 closed bugs in Construct 2 at time of writing!). I'm not saying nobody else can do that, but for a product that isn't even out yet, all anyone can to is speculate. I think as a customer it's easier to imagine that everything will be a magic silver bullet that works perfectly, but as someone who works on the tech behind these things, it rarely works out that way!
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:05 pm

hmmg wrote:Spark is going to be released on April : https://twitter.com/SparkGameEngine/sta ... 5288163329
i think i am going to test it and hope using it for my next projects until C3 is out

@Ashley i know there is no released date yet , but is there any chance for a closed alpha test next months ?

It might be the release date of the beta version (without 3D). I'm really curious about what they change in the GUI and what new features can we expect. I tested the alpha version. I'd say the spark was there (no pun intended), but the editor clearly needed more work. In the current state Construct 2 is clearly a superior choice.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:38 pm

@glerikud By looks of the latest video (uploaded today) it seems to look like everything has been working fine with the development so far.
The event system looks similar to C2's system but with a more modern touch and the overall structure with scenes and such seem to be working fine to.
I don't want to "sugarcoat" anything about Spark yet but it seems like they get things done quick.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:54 pm

I think it's, frankly, quite rude, tasteless and disrespectful to be hyping a competing game engine on these forums and suggesting it's somehow superior to C2 when the thing isn't even out yet. Yes Spark is intriguing, I'm signed up for Beta myself, but enough is enough. Seems some people are almost trying to extort information/release of C3 from Ashley at this point by desperately threatening to switch over to another (unproven) competing engine. More annoyingly, valuable C3 development time is potentially being lost here by Ashley having to respond to silly messages and ultimatums, so all this seems a bit counter-productive to me. I'm not saying we can't mention other engines here or anything, but there are surely better places for extended hypetalk and marketing jargon regarding a competing product than these forums, no?
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:01 pm

Waltuo wrote:I think it's, frankly, quite rude, tasteless and disrespectful to be hyping a competing game engine on these forums and suggesting it's somehow superior to C2 when the thing isn't even out yet. Yes Spark is intriguing, I'm signed up for Beta myself, but enough is enough. Seems some people are almost trying to extort information/release of C3 from Ashley at this point by desperately threatening to switch over to another (unproven) competing engine. More annoyingly, valuable C3 development time is potentially being lost here by Ashley having to respond to silly messages and ultimatums, so all this seems a bit counter-productive to me. I'm not saying we can't mention other engines here or anything, but there are surely better places for extended hypetalk and marketing jargon regarding a competing product than these forums, no?

We don't advertise for other engines nor do we want to spread the hate for C2/C3.
What we do is discuss and compare engines because that is what this topic is about and quiet frankly the only thing we can do at the time with the amount of information given.
We might drift away on certain points in the discussion but that happens all the time on several other topics too which were published here in the "General" section of the forums.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:41 pm

TheRealDannyyy wrote:
Waltuo wrote:I think it's, frankly, quite rude, tasteless and disrespectful to be hyping a competing game engine on these forums and suggesting it's somehow superior to C2 when the thing isn't even out yet. Yes Spark is intriguing, I'm signed up for Beta myself, but enough is enough. Seems some people are almost trying to extort information/release of C3 from Ashley at this point by desperately threatening to switch over to another (unproven) competing engine. More annoyingly, valuable C3 development time is potentially being lost here by Ashley having to respond to silly messages and ultimatums, so all this seems a bit counter-productive to me. I'm not saying we can't mention other engines here or anything, but there are surely better places for extended hypetalk and marketing jargon regarding a competing product than these forums, no?

We don't advertise for other engines nor do we want to spread the hate for C2/C3.
What we do is discuss and compare engines because that is what this topic is about and quiet frankly the only thing we can do at the time with the amount of information given.
We might drift away on certain points in the discussion but that happens all the time on several other topics too which were published here in the "General" section of the forums.

Agreed. Even @Ashley mentions about other game engine in the forum when we do topics like Construct 2 alternatives or something.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:28 am

I'm still new to this game so take it for what it is. Nothing really.

C2 is freaking great. I am no need of another game maker, but I understand people always want bigger and better.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:32 pm

I also think it's fine to mention and talk about other engines as well. I don't think we crossed a border here, but correct me if someone feels the opposite way.

In the meanwhile here's something for developers who are interested in Spark to keep in mind: Spark is still under development and it's yet to prove itself, while Construct 2 already did that. And developing a new engine is never as simple as it just works perfectly after release. It way too early to talk about stuff like that.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:56 pm

Well 7 page of this topic named "Construct 3 any news?", "What we do is discuss and compare engines because that is what this topic is about" is actually off topic.
People asked infos about C3, infos were released.
Why compare with other engines ?

It's OK to mention other engines in Scirra's forums, it always has been, but I really don't think this current topic is the best place for that, and I can't understand how you ended believing the current topic is being about that subject precisely.

Most of this topic is speculations from users and a few actual answers from Ashley which are mostly:
"You know nothing John Snow and we're not saying anything more for now."
:D

I'm not sure what "comparing with other engines" unreleased and far from release as well really does.
Are you comparing the waiting period perhaps ? Not really you are comparing apparently marketing infos with speculations from users.
I still don't see the point or the justification of such posts.
New to Construct ? Where to start

Image Image

Image Image

Please attach a capx to any help request or bug report !
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:19 pm

Kyatric wrote:Well 7 page of this topic named "Construct 3 any news?", "What we do is discuss and compare engines because that is what this topic is about" is actually off topic.
People asked infos about C3, infos were released.
Why compare with other engines ?...

Yeah it started differently but got twisted around so that is kinda our "current" topic since Ashley said everything about C3 he could say for the moment.
I also never threatened anyone, I just wanted to gather some more information about C3 (maybe not in the most polite way) but in the end you can see the results.

It's not easy to talk about something with so less information about it, that is why we do speculations + comparisons and let the people decide if they would like it or not (sometimes it might be a bit more critical than expected).
I think this can only benefit Scirra because it shows what your audience is all about for future products without them doing a "market research" or something like that.
This is really not a topic about liking or hating C2/C3, just wanted to make that clear for future responses.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion