construct 3 - built in plugin manager/updater

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:59 am

I agree.. I hope for C3 to be more plugin friendly. Some people simply like to use lots of plugins/behaviours/effect to save time.
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:15 pm

@rexrainbow you have contributed so many useful plugins to c2 that I think @ashley should hire you to work at @scirra and just incorporate the majority of them as part of construct3.

Btw clickteam fusion has a great addon manager, but their whole library has less addons than the ones rex has made.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:26 am

I agree that a plugin/effect manager would be nice to have, like a built in store of plugins, with changelogs and all that, but that could also work with official plugins, after all, it would make updating C3 less often while still have the top notch.
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:15 am

most modern game engines have that anyways
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:14 pm

I would also love to see the addon/plugins authors being more active in making nice documentary and built in help, and examples. If done then it would likely be more used, some plugins are quite cryptic.
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:42 pm

There were.. hints, riddled messages and murmurs that the plugin system is something that is being worked on. For example in one posting it was mentioned that the interface side is subject to change (see c3-span-class-posthilit-plugins-span-backwards-compatibility-questi_p1019729?#p1019729 for example)

I am confident that the situation will improve.
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 01, 2016 4:33 pm

The plugin situation is particularily bad when you need to open an old example file that uses a plugin or behavior that is no longer available on the web. Construct2 has no way of dealing with that and completely locks the file from you when you dont have the plugin - even if the plugin is not being used in any important way in the file.

The only plugins that do survive (or have a relatively better chance of survivng - some of them do get discontinued) are the ones that tend to still work.

I think the repository is a key element here. Without a repository, you have users posting plugins on weird hosting websites - with many links going dead after a while - dragging a plethora of capx study files to the grave with them.

1. Construct needs and official repository - plugin manager to update and download them - possibly even integration with the store
2. construct needs to have a way of dealing with scenes with missing plugins - let the user open the scene - but lock the parts of the logic that the plugin has on the event sheet - until the plugin is installed
B
S
G

Post » Sun May 01, 2016 4:36 pm

Even when you go to rex's repository - some of his example scenes use plugins from other authors - some of which no longer exist on a server - thus the example files can no longer be opened to study the ones that do exist and the examples were made to present.

Dead plugins affect the adoption of working plugins.
B
S
G

Previous

Return to Construct 2 General