Construct 3 for Adventure Games and VN?

Post » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:34 pm

ocimpean wrote:That, I'm sorry to say it falls far away from "no programming required" statement on the front page. This is why I wanted to know if v3 is bringing something else to the table ore is addressing the same market segment.


Well the term "programming" in the actual sense can mean many things. You can "program" your microwave and you can "program" your alarm clock. But writing code for software/hardware is also "programming" as you're programming the computer to do something (like execute all these commands to display something that you can thus interact with). What Scirra means when they say "no programming required" is that your not required to write code to use C2. Out of the box, with some simple event-based configuring, you can actually make a game very quickly. C3 is going to be pretty much the same thing as C2 with enhanced features and web based.
B
97
S
35
G
11
Posts: 288
Reputation: 13,021

Post » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:14 am

I see your point regarding programing.

Is there anyone working to develop and sale a 2d point and click asset for Construct like the one mentioned by a gentlemen in one of the previous post for Unity3d?
B
8
S
2
Posts: 7
Reputation: 516

Post » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:00 am

Adventure Creator for Unity, and those kinds of things, are toolkits. As such, they usually involve both run-time and editor scripts. Run-time scripts can be found in C2, but editor scripts, a crucial part of any toolkit, are not available in C2. So what you'll find, if you find anything at all, are C2 templates to give you a framework for creating things. In your case, you might want to look for adventure game templates. However, because they're not toolkits, and unless they're quite elaborate, you might come upon a dead-end, where the template doesn't do everything you'd hope it would. You would need to add things of your own.

If C3 had an editor SDK, it could potentially open the door to a lot of different things, including tools such as Adventure Creator, among other things.

You could potentially ask someone to develop something bespoke for you: there is a classified section in the forums.

I'm creating an adventure game, too, but in isometric style. I started doing this game in standard adventure game format but for many reasons I moved into isometric viewpoint. The beauty about doing things in C2 is the fact that despite its advertised ease, programmatic control can be quite granular. That's why I like it; it's a good balance between ease and control, but it won't give you an adventure game framework.. not by a long shot: you'd have to make it yourself.
B
42
S
12
G
1
Posts: 74
Reputation: 2,992

Post » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:46 am

Cryptwalker wrote:Well the term "programming" in the actual sense can mean many things. You can "program" your microwave and you can "program" your alarm clock. But writing code for software/hardware is also "programming" as you're programming the computer to do something (like execute all these commands to display something that you can thus interact with). What Scirra means when they say "no programming required" is that your not required to write code to use C2. Out of the box, with some simple event-based configuring, you can actually make a game very quickly. C3 is going to be pretty much the same thing as C2 with enhanced features and web based.


I really like this statement therefore when you mention event-based configuring.
ImageImage
B
111
S
51
G
24
Posts: 786
Reputation: 23,392

Post » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:07 am

alextro wrote:
Cryptwalker wrote:Well the term "programming" in the actual sense can mean many things. You can "program" your microwave and you can "program" your alarm clock. But writing code for software/hardware is also "programming" as you're programming the computer to do something (like execute all these commands to display something that you can thus interact with). What Scirra means when they say "no programming required" is that your not required to write code to use C2. Out of the box, with some simple event-based configuring, you can actually make a game very quickly. C3 is going to be pretty much the same thing as C2 with enhanced features and web based.


I really like this statement therefore when you mention event-based configuring.

I liked it too! That's why I'm loathe to ever describe anything written in a visual editor as coding or lines, it's not really, it's just configuration events most of the time.
B
41
S
12
G
14
Posts: 1,122
Reputation: 11,268

Post » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:12 pm

Zebbi wrote:I liked it too! That's why I'm loathe to ever describe anything written in a visual editor as coding or lines, it's not really, it's just configuration events most of the time.

Well, I guess everyone has their own opinion about that. For me the events are visual programming (but still a modern form of programming), a form to develop algorithms.
B
135
S
33
G
17
Posts: 1,557
Reputation: 20,721

Post » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:26 pm

glerikud wrote:
Zebbi wrote:I liked it too! That's why I'm loathe to ever describe anything written in a visual editor as coding or lines, it's not really, it's just configuration events most of the time.

Well, I guess everyone has their own opinion about that. For me the events are visual programming (but still a modern form of programming), a form to develop algorithms.

The lowest coding I've ever used is PHP, but I could never sit there and write my own software with it all day long, even though I understand it to read, modify and write new stuff into existing scripts. I don't think event-driven programming can generally come to close to the same level of detail you can get with written code.
B
41
S
12
G
14
Posts: 1,122
Reputation: 11,268

Post » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:29 am

glerikud wrote:Well, I guess everyone has their own opinion about that. For me the events are visual programming (but still a modern form of programming), a form to develop algorithms.


The event based configuring of C2 is definitely a form of programming. Its just at a much higher level of abstraction. You're still giving commands to the machine (computer) to do something. However, the more abstract you get, the less lower level control you will have of the hardware as opposed to traditional programming language. And at that point, programming can get quite difficult (for a lot of folks). But in most game dev tools, that hardware interaction is already handled by the game engine so you just need to focus building the game and optimizing it properly. In the case with C2, we're just basically building a very fancy looking web-page.
B
97
S
35
G
11
Posts: 288
Reputation: 13,021

Post » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:17 pm

Cryptwalker wrote:In the case with C2, we're just basically building a very fancy looking web-page.

Aww, don't say that! :cry:
Last edited by Zebbi on Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B
41
S
12
G
14
Posts: 1,122
Reputation: 11,268

Post » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:54 pm

Zebbi wrote:
Cryptwalker wrote:
glerikud wrote:In the case with C2, we're just basically building a very fancy looking web-page.

Aww, don't say that! :cry:


I would say HTML5 games are a little more than just elaborate decoration.
B
16
S
7
Posts: 190
Reputation: 1,823

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest