Construct 3 - many questions (native exporterts)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Fri May 08, 2015 11:29 am

@Refeuh apart from the awesome Scirra editor, there are great free tools out there. Unity for example can also create 2D games. And you don't have to script in pure code anymore. You could just use playmaker.

"Most of the major issues with C2 are coming from misunderstanding or misuses of the product."

- i don't believe that. There are hundreds of experienced C2 developers that have voiced their concerns about mobile performance, third party compilers/wrappers, and issues on NW and so on.
I know people want different stuff. And i don't think Scirra should ever go into 3D. Since it never has been.
But it should do what it advertises, to create 2D games and publish them.

And right now, that's not possible for most.

To be honest, i'm just tired of it.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 08, 2015 11:36 am

paradine wrote:1. Will it have native exporters to iOS/Android/Windows/Linux/OSx ?
2. Will it have an opportunity to export game to flash format (.swf)?
3. Will it have native physics engine?
3. Will it have native 3D support?

1. No
2. No
3. No.
4. No

And to answer any future questions, No.
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 08, 2015 11:37 am

xanxion wrote:Uhm.. Might be true for some software, though i haven't experienced that?. But they are often much more stable and usable, C2 has so many issues, so its more realistic to fix those first.

Why would anyone pay for a new editor, when games and apps run like crap on mobiles and are missing so many features, even on PC there are huge issues involved.

As of right now, C2 is useless. Why spend years on optimization and waiting for bug fixes, when you can get something more stable, and even free out there :P

C3 will be awesome, if they listen to their customers. But i doubt they will..

I'm with you bother! And that's why I'm gradually switching to GameMaker Studio.
Also I've said what you just said about a billion times, but literally no-one listens, especially Ashley.
The moderators are corrupt and ban for no reason, especially that condescending neckbeard asshole Kyatric. The forums are filled with fanboys.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 08, 2015 11:45 am

Even though 3d integration would be nice, it really have to be well implemented to be of any use I think, so keeping it 2D is probably a good idea.

In my opinion what C3 would benefit the most from is that the core of the program needs to be designed so when bad designs pop up and users complain about them, they can be fixed without having to make C4 as the solution.

- More care in adding useful and well designed functionality is needed rather than quantity.
- The way code is executed needs to be fix. The issue with newly created objects not being possible to pick is a great annoys in general.
- Far better tools for organisation of projects, some sort of function tracking.
- General improvement to almost all tools to make them more solid and useful. For instant something simple like a text object, where you can't change the alignment during runtime makes little to no sense when you can do it in the editor. There are so many of these small things that really is needed. And in my opinion they should already be in C2 and not something to hope will be in C3-C6 or something, they are expected functionality of these object I think.
- That so many things requires workarounds to function is at least on my very top when it comes to C3, spending close to 70-85% of the time when using C2 creating weird workarounds are really not something that makes C2 shine.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 08, 2015 11:54 am

@nimos100

"- That so many things requires workarounds to function is at least on my very top when it comes to C3, spending close to 70-85% of the time when using C2 creating weird workarounds are really not something that makes C2 shine."

Exemples? (not asking for a bug report, just what you had to work around so we understand the issue so someone could correct that, as workarounds are the opposite of good design)
Game design is all about decomposing the core of your game so it becomes simple instructions.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 08, 2015 12:23 pm

Unfortunately remaking the game core, wont help much i think. Scirra still rely on third parties to export on mobiles and pc. And many of the issues stem from there.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 08, 2015 12:26 pm

@Aphrodite

E.g. setting up events to pseudo-remove slope detection from the platform behaviour, so the player can fall down gaps properly.
(At least 3 large projects are using this, with a bunch of smaller scale users talking about it).

E.g. Having to use "Button is down, trigger once" conditions for the keyboard instead of "On button press" because the latter bugs games (My bullet spawning at offset bug report covers it).

There's tons of examples in the forums, you just gotta look.

xanxion wrote:Unfortunately remaking the game core, wont help much i think. Scirra still rely on third parties to export on mobiles and pc. And many of the issues stem from there.

That's because Ashley's too lazy to fix present features, instead he's overdosing on bleeding edge features that break a lot of everything.
Banned User
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 08, 2015 12:30 pm

Aphrodite wrote:@nimos100

"- That so many things requires workarounds to function is at least on my very top when it comes to C3, spending close to 70-85% of the time when using C2 creating weird workarounds are really not something that makes C2 shine."

Exemples? (not asking for a bug report, just what you had to work around so we understand the issue so someone could correct that, as workarounds are the opposite of good design)

There are so many, so ill just name a few.
- Video not loading correctly if you set the source during runtime it requires a workaround to make them appear. (Only works sometimes, so have to make another workaround for that again)
- Images not loading correctly, meaning they overwrite each other. Scirra say its on purpose, but personally I would consider this a bug, as the functionality that you expect doesn't work as intended. Now this gets even better when using animations, as you then have to add animations rather than just frames to avoid them being overwritten. Making the whole load from url completely static, which is a bit weird as you would assume that one of the reasons why you would load something is because you need it to be dynamic and not static.
- File handling (Nwjs, file chooser) getting required/expected information.
- Audio can't be loaded in runtime. So a workaround having to use a video object works, however it removes all the benefits of using audio.
- Pinning several objects to each other causes problems, due to objects pinned are updated to slow. Meaning if you have obj1 and you pin obj2 to that and obj3 to obj2. Obj3 will lag behind looking like there is a performance problem, due to it not updating fast enough, dragging around object already is rather slow so using pin with it makes it really slow. So fixing that, you have to pin everything to 1 object. And in cases where you are making something more dynamic you would have to use a control object to fix it and reduce the slow effect.
- Path finding....simply to buggy to even start on that, but just needs to be mentioned.
- Video playtime, is not updated correctly if a video is paused and you tell it to change playtime it will not update until you reactivate it.
- Video playtime is not correctly paused, if you play a video and then pause it during play, it will pause the video, but if you reactivate it, it will jump forward a bit of time. This is stated in the manual as a problem if I recall, but with the amount of video players and graphic tools I use I doubt that this is something cant be solved. At least the other programs doesn't seem to have a problem with this. Haven't gotten around to making a workaround for this yet. But guess it will be something with trying to subtract the amount it jumps from the playtime, but doubt that it will work.

Anyway this are just some of them, smaller ones constantly pops up, so its hard to keep track of them all. But a lot of the issues I have added to another post about updates to objects in general, which in a lot of cases are a result of workarounds or general things I have spotted while working with them, trying to do something that C2 can't do, but should be able to in my opinion.
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 08, 2015 12:48 pm

It's quite interesting to see people complain about plugs, and say they are migrating to platforms that require coding.
Image ImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri May 08, 2015 12:54 pm

newt wrote:It's quite interesting to see people complain about plugs, and say they are migrating to platforms that require coding.

Im complaining raising awareness of different problems, because I want C2/C3 to be better, and in general I love it, but as with any program you use you notice things that you ought should be fixed or better. So even though people are complaining, its good information for Scirra to get if they react on it.
But you can't really argue against people looking for other programs, even if that requires them to learn something new. I mean you would do the same with Word, Open office etc. if they didn't work as you wanted them to. So at least for me I fully understand people that want to give some of the others kits a try.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General