Construct 3 - many questions (native exporterts)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:36 pm

@Jayjay In our case it's all middleware fault. Doesn't matter if your game is fast paced or not, sooner or later performance wobbles.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:49 pm

@megatronx - i'm pretty sure it's not me / engine that is wrongdoing this.

i'm using nw 12, and people whine how bad it is, blah blah, but when i export my game with it, and play it, i notice 0 jerkiness (that people whatsoever reported all the time). also performance is on the highest lvl.
and trust me, my game is for PC, and uses loads of wrongly done stuff, but still works good. i'm doing an improved version atm, but i can host my game if you want to try the old version. it uses almost everything (except ads and shit) that c2 can offer. bump mapping, effects, particles, scrolling background, families, combinations of this and that, and much more. works like a charm.
Sea Monsters template - Isometric
Also includes 40 pages PDF of optimizations and "how-to" for your games, and how the "sea monsters" template was built. Follow link for details :)

sea-monsters-templates-and-assets_t162705
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 30, 2015 6:52 pm

saiyadjin wrote:@megatronx - i'm pretty sure it's not me / engine that is wrongdoing this.

i'm using nw 12, and people whine how bad it is, blah blah, but when i export my game with it, and play it, i notice 0 jerkiness (that people whatsoever reported all the time). also performance is on the highest lvl.
and trust me, my game is for PC, and uses loads of wrongly done stuff, but still works good. i'm doing an improved version atm, but i can host my game if you want to try the old version. it uses almost everything (except ads and shit) that c2 can offer. bump mapping, effects, particles, scrolling background, families, combinations of this and that, and much more. works like a charm.

What specs your pc is ?
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:01 pm

megatronx wrote:Even in simple games performance drops at random intervals.

Interesting conversation, guys. I really like the way it's being conducted.
But I would like to see just one simple game that doesn't perform well which:
-> is coded really well,
-> doesn't put every event on the "every tick" condition,
-> doesn't add large images which are not power of two sized
-> doesn't overuse effects and particles
-> many other stuff I forgot.

Many AAA games developers needed and still need some sort of workaround and time consuming
optimization (maybe less today) with the amount of polygons being shown, line of sight simplification
for distant objects, the way to deal with off-screen assets, hardware limitations when porting to other platforms,
some even have to deal with graphic drivers and boards issues.

If a very simple game has bad performance maybe an example CAPX file will be worth a thousand words
so we can see if it's well coded, well designed from the ground up and suited for the platform it's built.
Then I can blame the engine. I've seen so many horrible demos giving its engine a bad name that I
became suspicious to say the least. :D
B
S

Post » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:11 pm

my current PC is pretty strong
(i4860, 980M, 8gb ram, 120gb ssd + 1tb hdd).

i've also tried it on my older PC which is waaay weaker (and worth maybe 500€ which everyone can buy these days (laptop)), it's specs are - dualcore 2.0ghz Core2Duo, 4gb 800mhz ram, 1GB ati radeon 4650, 500GB drive 5400)

here's a link to my alpha version of the game:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13675221/index.html

try it and see your performance in it. i will post full game once i'm done with it. but i've noticed quite a good improvement in performance while redoing my whole game, because my initial design (this link) was horrible.

@megatronx

p.s. loading will take some time.
Last edited by saiyadjin on Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sea Monsters template - Isometric
Also includes 40 pages PDF of optimizations and "how-to" for your games, and how the "sea monsters" template was built. Follow link for details :)

sea-monsters-templates-and-assets_t162705
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:22 pm

I would give thanks to all the people that give advices about optimization and personal opinions about game design... but i think that this topic will be resolved easy with a clear answer to the question: Will have construct native exporters in the future?... A clear yes/not reply will be great and I will love very much with tons of my best wishes,hugs and kisses to the construct developer that answer that. (No matters the sense of the answer, really, only need to know clearly). Important to me, and I see that important to others. Please allow answer that.
Thanks people, your software make me happy.
B
S

Post » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:28 pm

@ashley
If the reason of poor performance in construct made games is in the way people design their games with it, perhaps a better way to find bottlenecks when the game is run in debug mode and some design changes in the editor to discourage people of using poor practices might help the problem.

This is actually something that one of the developers of gdevelop said when we discussed getting a feature similar to one in construct's. He said that in Construct2 there are behaviors/commands that are wasteful and encourage people to do bad unoptimized design for their games when doing the simplest things.

That said you are correct. Construct is way ahead of competing visual programming tools in terms of features and that is exactly because it focuses on html5. It is it's strength and it's weakness.

That said, I have a question about construct3 - an actual question rather than a feature request! How far is the development of the editor? When will you post an update on it's progress? What libraries is it going to be using in order to run on multiple platforms? I am interested because I want to run it on linux. Will there be developer sneak peaks in your blog posts? ;)

So far people have kept complaining about the damn exporters while they could have genuinely been following with excitement the progress of the new editor. :lol:
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:44 pm

Can anyone show an example where the C2 JS engine is not fast enough???

If you do post below...... :) :) :)
B
S
G

Post » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:46 pm

I find the debugger provides a lot of useful information, but it's limited because it can't access the chromium engine and report back what's going on there. So when a frame drops, even though fps is a solid 60 and the cpu is at 30% there's no way to know what event caused that particular dropped frame. Checking the javascript console shows that, perhaps, there was a spike in use of the c2 engine, but that's unhelpful information because there's no way to find the cause of a dropped frame.

@blurymind asks a good question - how far has the c3 editor progressed? I know it's traditional for devs to throw out a "it'll be ready mid-Dec" guess and then miss that deadline by a country mile, but the absence of any hint is perplexing. Are we discussing how long a piece of string is? When it's done it'll be done...? It would be good to know, although like @Jayjay, I don't think I'll be using c2 for anything more than for LD or concept testing in future, because when it comes to export: results are all that matter, and the experience or pleasure of working in the editor are secondary if players see a second rate product.
A big fan of JavaScript.
B
S
G

Post » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:11 am

davarrcal wrote:I would give thanks to all the people that give advices about optimization and personal opinions about game design... but i think that this topic will be resolved easy with a clear answer to the question: Will have construct native exporters in the future?... A clear yes/not reply will be great and I will love very much with tons of my best wishes,hugs and kisses to the construct developer that answer that. (No matters the sense of the answer, really, only need to know clearly). Important to me, and I see that important to others. Please allow answer that.
Thanks people, your software make me happy.

I thought the answer is very clear from the start.

No, it won't. For now, Ashley and co. will continue to focus on HTML5.
B
S
G

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General