Construct 3 - many questions (native exporterts)

Discussion and feedback on Construct 2

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:28 am

lennaert wrote:You solved over 200 developer problems, for construct ? where ? With just 55 posts on this here forum with half of them being about extra features to make it more 'comfortable' for you .... I find this hard to believe.

For construct on www.c2community.ru
I have 1270 posts and 235 reputation points there.
When I help somebody, he can click plus-button and give me +1 to reputation.
B
52
S
24
G
46
Posts: 132
Reputation: 27,279

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:36 am

@Ashley, @kyatric please!!!!!!!!!

This thread is well past it's 'sell by' date.
If your vision so exceeds your ability, then look to something closer.
Moderator
B
136
S
31
G
87
Posts: 5,490
Reputation: 60,266

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:08 am

paradine wrote:
lennaert wrote:You solved over 200 developer problems, for construct ? where ? With just 55 posts on this here forum with half of them being about extra features to make it more 'comfortable' for you .... I find this hard to believe.

For construct on http://www.c2community.ru
I have 1270 posts and 235 reputation points there.
When I help somebody, he can click plus-button and give me +1 to reputation.



Nice, that's actually pretty cool.

Anyway, I think Zenox98 is right, this discussion has indeed long past it's usefulness.

I'm out too.
Who dares wins
B
57
S
17
G
21
Posts: 1,878
Reputation: 19,572

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:24 am

Tokinsom wrote:I thought the issue was 3rd party reliance

The only remotely practical way to write a set of cross-platform native exporters would be to rely on some kind of existing framework or library, which... relies on third parties. I struggle to see why this is an argument for native exporters.

paradine wrote:80% games are CPU bottlenecked and only 20% are GPU bottlenecked.

This contradicts what I've seen, and I've done profiling for some of the largest C2 games like Airscape. As ever, I am absolutely keen for anyone with poorly performing .capx files to send them to me (preferably in minimal form like a bug report) so I can optimise anything that needs to be. I repeat this with every thread that ever crops up like this, so I've said it a lot, and I am either sent nothing, sent games which are incredibly inefficiently designed, or games which are GPU-bottlenecked. So even if what you say is true, I'd be very interested to see any examples of that, because I almost never see them myself.
Scirra Founder
B
399
S
236
G
89
Posts: 24,543
Reputation: 195,430

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:32 am

Ashley wrote:
Tokinsom wrote:I thought the issue was 3rd party reliance

The only remotely practical way to write a set of cross-platform native exporters would be to rely on some kind of existing framework or library, which... relies on third parties. I struggle to see why this is an argument for native exporters.

paradine wrote:80% games are CPU bottlenecked and only 20% are GPU bottlenecked.

This contradicts what I've seen, and I've done profiling for some of the largest C2 games like Airscape. As ever, I am absolutely keen for anyone with poorly performing .capx files to send them to me (preferably in minimal form like a bug report) so I can optimise anything that needs to be. I repeat this with every thread that ever crops up like this, so I've said it a lot, and I am either sent nothing, sent games which are incredibly inefficiently designed, or games which are GPU-bottlenecked. So even if what you say is true, I'd be very interested to see any examples of that, because I almost never see them myself.


Would you be able to write a tutorial, or instructions on how to handle big projects events? That would save you time in the long run, and help others not to make bad events and then complain things are not working well.
My professional Royalty Free Music at Scirra Assets Store
--------------------------------
Specs: i5 2500, 16gb of ram, gtx 770, win 7, Focusrite Scarlett 8i6, Mackie mr8mk2, Alesis 320, browsing the net on chrome.
B
92
S
30
G
22
Posts: 1,987
Reputation: 20,178

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:55 am

Ashley wrote:The only remotely practical way to write a set of cross-platform native exporters would be to rely on some kind of existing framework or library, which... relies on third parties. I struggle to see why this is an argument for native exporters.


We understand it, but it is not the same. Now we depend on libraries, depend on Crosswalk, depend on Intel XDK, depend on relationships between Intel XDK and Crosswalk and so on.
With native exporters we will depend on libraries and Scirra only. And it's normal to depend on Scirra, because we pay money to Scirra, that is why Scirra is much more interested to make the exporters work well than Intel XDK and Crosswalk.

Also if Scirra's native exporter will show us bad result, Scirra should try to solve the problem.
And now, if I have problems with the export, the anwser is "exporters is not our problem, wait a few years and may be Intel XDK will try to make it better".

paradine wrote:This contradicts what I've seen, and I've done profiling for some of the largest C2 games like Airscape. As ever, I am absolutely keen for anyone with poorly performing .capx files to send them to me (preferably in minimal form like a bug report) so I can optimise anything that needs to be. I repeat this with every thread that ever crops up like this, so I've said it a lot, and I am either sent nothing, sent games which are incredibly inefficiently designed, or games which are GPU-bottlenecked. So even if what you say is true, I'd be very interested to see any examples of that, because I almost never see them myself.

I have ALREADY posted such examples and you just ignored my posts.
B
52
S
24
G
46
Posts: 132
Reputation: 27,279

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:32 pm

megatronx wrote:
Ashley wrote:
Tokinsom wrote:I thought the issue was 3rd party reliance

The only remotely practical way to write a set of cross-platform native exporters would be to rely on some kind of existing framework or library, which... relies on third parties. I struggle to see why this is an argument for native exporters.

paradine wrote:80% games are CPU bottlenecked and only 20% are GPU bottlenecked.

This contradicts what I've seen, and I've done profiling for some of the largest C2 games like Airscape. As ever, I am absolutely keen for anyone with poorly performing .capx files to send them to me (preferably in minimal form like a bug report) so I can optimise anything that needs to be. I repeat this with every thread that ever crops up like this, so I've said it a lot, and I am either sent nothing, sent games which are incredibly inefficiently designed, or games which are GPU-bottlenecked. So even if what you say is true, I'd be very interested to see any examples of that, because I almost never see them myself.


Would you be able to write a tutorial, or instructions on how to handle big projects events? That would save you time in the long run, and help others not to make bad events and then complain things are not working well.


That's a fair request. I'm working on a pretty big project and I have my own way of optimizing it but it would be nice to have other practical examples and optimization tricks besides the very broadly applicable guidelines on some of the blog posts.
B
20
S
8
G
4
Posts: 195
Reputation: 3,555

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:44 pm

@lennaert: Thank your for your words. I'm currently working on the Android build. It features setting up the config file, installing dependencies, signing the APK and a little more stuff. All the steps may seem overwhelming at first but I'll try to make things easy to understand.
B
48
S
14
Posts: 111
Reputation: 3,959

Post » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:51 am

@byondisoft, as far as I can tell you just agreed with me. Complaining is quite different than suggestions and requests. A majority of these people are complaining, presumably because they don't know how to use the tools they're asking for exporters for. It takes much more time to do nothing other than complaining than it does to do the work to learn to use the other tools.

Maybe they're not in the wrong line of business, but that kind of behavior still doesn't do much for productivity.
ImageImage
B
49
S
15
G
2
Posts: 270
Reputation: 6,649

Post » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:34 am

We need native export!
B
3
Posts: 2
Reputation: 183

PreviousNext

Return to Construct 2 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests