Construct 3 - Really Strange Behavior With Custom Fonts

All closed bug reports are moved here.

Post » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:39 pm

Problem Description
After creating a new project and importing my custom font, I've noticed some really strange behavior.
The first thing that's weird is that the font loads and displays correctly inside the editor but not in preview (+exported HTML5 project).

I've also noticed that when opening a project (the attached c3p file), my custom font is completely broken and doesn't display at all.
Basically when you save your project and open your project again. I can't seem to reliably reproduce this one though.

Attach a file
Download Project File
Download Font File

Description of file
The attached project has everything set up already, you should notice that something is wrong with the font.
Since this bug requires to be reproduced using a new project, I've included the custom font as well.

Steps to Reproduce Bug
Font not working in preview:
  • Create a new project
  • Add the text object
  • Import custom font (see above)
  • Set the font in the text properties
  • Notice font correctly changing inside the editor
  • Preview game and notice that the custom font doesn't load correctly
Font sometimes not loading in editor (re-open the project a couple of times):
  • Save example project to local file
  • Open file and notice that the custom font is completely broken (doesn't even work inside the editor anymore)
Observed Result
Custom fonts don't work right and don't load correctly inside the editor and/or in the game itself.

Expected Result
Custom fonts should be loaded automatically (like the load webfont action did in C2) and the editor should display the font as expected.

Affected Browsers:
  • Chrome (latest stable)
  • NW.js (latest stable)
Operating System and Service Pack
Windows 7 with latest updates and up to date drivers.

Construct 3 Version ID
Newest version available. [Free Edition]
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:37 am

Hmm, the web font support was designed with .woff files in mind, not .tff. Does it work with a .woff file?
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:45 am

Ashley wrote:Hmm, the web font support was designed with .woff files in mind, not .tff. Does it work with a .woff file?

it is possible to use .tff in the future? no one knows what a .woff is... at least not the average indie user.

B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:52 am

Yeah, we might be able to support that too. WOFF is the standard web font format. TTF is not an open standard AFAIK but it does look like it's still widely supported.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:40 pm

Ashley wrote:Yeah, we might be able to support that too. WOFF is the standard web font format. TTF is not an open standard AFAIK but it does look like it's still widely supported.

Alright I got a .woff font, I'm not an expert with fonts to be honest so I don't know the difference between formats.
I would really like to test this one out but the editor crashes, below are the crashlogs and ways to reproduce.

Crash when clicking on the font "arrow" to view list of fonts (with imported .woff font):
Code: Select all
Error report information
Type: unhandled rejection
Reason: ReferenceError: ǃddt is not defined
Construct 3 version: r14
URL: https://editor.construct.net/index.html
Date: Fri Mar 31 2017 17:36:37 GMT+0200 (Mitteleuropäische Sommerzeit)
Uptime: 47.5 s

Platform information
Browser: Chrome
Browser version: 57.0.2987.133
Browser engine: Blink
Browser architecture: 32-bit
Context: webapp
Operating system: Windows
Operating system version: 7
Operating system architecture: 64-bit
Device type: desktop
Device pixel ratio: 1
Logical CPU cores: 4
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/57.0.2987.133 Safari/537.36

WebGL information
Version string: WebGL 2.0 (OpenGL ES 3.0 Chromium)
Numeric version: 2
Supports NPOT textures: yes
Vendor: Google Inc.
Renderer: ANGLE (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 Direct3D11 vs_5_0 ps_5_0)
Major performance caveat: no
Maximum texture size: 16384
Point size range: 1 to 1024
Extensions: EXT_color_buffer_float, EXT_disjoint_timer_query_webgl2, EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, OES_texture_float_linear, WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc, WEBGL_debug_renderer_info, WEBGL_debug_shaders, WEBGL_lose_context

Crash while opening project above:
Code: Select all
Error report information
Type: unhandled rejection
Reason: ReferenceError: ǃddt is not defined
Construct 3 version: r14
URL: https://editor.construct.net/index.html
Date: Fri Mar 31 2017 17:34:34 GMT+0200 (Mitteleuropäische Sommerzeit)
Uptime: 8.7 s

Platform information
Browser: Chrome
Browser version: 57.0.2987.133
Browser engine: Blink
Browser architecture: 32-bit
Context: webapp
Operating system: Windows
Operating system version: 7
Operating system architecture: 64-bit
Device type: desktop
Device pixel ratio: 1
Logical CPU cores: 4
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/57.0.2987.133 Safari/537.36

WebGL information
Version string: WebGL 2.0 (OpenGL ES 3.0 Chromium)
Numeric version: 2
Supports NPOT textures: yes
Vendor: Google Inc.
Renderer: ANGLE (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 Direct3D11 vs_5_0 ps_5_0)
Major performance caveat: no
Maximum texture size: 16384
Point size range: 1 to 1024
Extensions: EXT_color_buffer_float, EXT_disjoint_timer_query_webgl2, EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, OES_texture_float_linear, WEBGL_compressed_texture_s3tc, WEBGL_debug_renderer_info, WEBGL_debug_shaders, WEBGL_lose_context
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Post » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:42 pm

I fixed the issue with the font not displaying in preview mode in r17.

Please file separate bugs for any other issues you have. We can't track the status of individual issues if you post more than one in the same report. I couldn't reproduce any issue with the font not showing in the editor, even when repeatedly closing and reopening the project. If you have any other issues, please remember to follow all the guidelines for each individual issue, there don't seem to be reproduction steps for the crash described.

Closing this report.
Scirra Founder
B
S
G

Post » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:36 pm

Ashley wrote:I fixed the issue with the font not displaying in preview mode in r17.

Please file separate bugs for any other issues you have. We can't track the status of individual issues if you post more than one in the same report. I couldn't reproduce any issue with the font not showing in the editor, even when repeatedly closing and reopening the project. If you have any other issues, please remember to follow all the guidelines for each individual issue, there don't seem to be reproduction steps for the crash described.

Closing this report.

Yeah I have to get used to reporting bugs indiviually here, I will do that with all future bug reports from now on.

Thanks anyway.
ImageImageImage
B
S
G

Return to Closed Bugs